Kai Lenny's new gun

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Interesting, and it generally makes sense, I guess. Wonder what size wave it takes to have diminishing returns. It looks tough to stuff a nose like that into a late drop at OB. looking at the boards on the rack, it seems like he's using that nose design down to the mid-8-foot range. Would love to give one of those a try if we ever have a decent season again.
RE OB depending on length duckdiving a board like that, seems like it might be problem.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I recall seeing this earlier and somewhat laughing that it's a copy of the CT bullet nose we put on Bark paddleboards. It's not from SUP tech, it's from paddleboard tech that was then stolen by SUP'ers.
you know its Techie when SUP/Paddleboarders are arguing against surfboard design who started what first

• Haha
Reactions: sh3

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Made me think about the noses on my two performance long fish fish shapes. The blue one is a DVS 7' rocket fish. Dick has been building open ocean race paddle boards for a very long time. The black railed one is a Gary McNeill 6'8" Entity. Gary doesn't make paddleboards as far as I know.
View attachment 178066View attachment 178067
Stretch, whose been making good wave boards and guns for decades has been putting a lot of thickness up into the nose via concave decks combined with vee entries.

btw, I'm team "Prone paddleboards definitely did it first."

• Love

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
If we are tracing design history then I'd say that nose style on Surf lifesaving prone boards would pre-date the open ocean race boards. Mention this only as a bit of trivia. It's cool if it works and advances big wave riding.

Reactions: frontsidegrab

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
If we are tracing design history then I'd say that nose style on Surf lifesaving prone boards would pre-date the open ocean race boards. Mention this only as a bit of trivia. It's cool if it works and advances big wave riding.
It'd be amazing if there was an encyclopedia of boards and dinghy hulls.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I recall seeing this earlier and somewhat laughing that it's a copy of the CT bullet nose we put on Bark paddleboards. It's not from SUP tech, it's from paddleboard tech that was then stolen by SUP'ers.
FIVE seconds ago, with the video playing loud, just pointed my chick to my 14 and said "Joe concept, just watered down more for surfing"

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I'd consider that a type of prone paddleboard

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
Made me think about the noses on my two performance long fish fish shapes. The blue one is a DVS 7' rocket fish. Dick has been building open ocean race paddle boards for a very long time. The black railed one is a Gary McNeill 6'8" Entity. Gary doesn't make paddleboards as far as I know.
View attachment 178066View attachment 178067
Intriguing stuff!
Kai's gun is beyond "beak" but the above discussion has me wondering if some of the effect can be applied to a regular old beak nose.
Ive had/have lots of beak nosed boards over the years, but mainly cause I've like the forward foam distribution that these allow as a front footed surfer. I had no idea it may influence lift, takeoffs etc...
Apologies if this link was posted here before(?)..found this Rusty piece about beaks and some science and "technology " sh!t thats way above my pay grade..

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Maybe he could've called it "hypersonic glide vehicle technology." Do we have a match?

1713276329848.png