Kai Lenny's new gun

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Wasn't Christensen doing this years ago?

edit: they allude to other shapers doing this prior.
I remember Ian Walsh surfing a Christenson with an exaggerated version. That one looked heavy and sketchy. Pretty sure it only lasted one session.

Reactions: slipped_disc

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I remember Ian Walsh surfing a Christenson with an exaggerated version. That one looked heavy and sketchy. Pretty sure it only lasted one session.
Ya. That was the one. Good memory. And seeing it now, looks heavily exaggerated compared to the KT. Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 4.10.34 PM.png

Reactions: frontsidegrab

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Seems like the nose buoyancy keeps the nose from diving in on really steep drops and the added rail radius by the nose provides more hold.

Reactions: freeride76

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I recall seeing this earlier and somewhat laughing that it's a copy of the CT bullet nose we put on Bark paddleboards. It's not from SUP tech, it's from paddleboard tech that was then stolen by SUP'ers.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I recall seeing this earlier and somewhat laughing that it's a copy of the CT bullet nose we put on Bark paddleboards. It's not from SUP tech, it's from paddleboard tech that was then stolen by SUP'ers.
nah. aerospace technology bro

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
my gut feeling is that floatation has less relevance at higher speeds....:shrug:
I think the nose on a traditional gun provides lift through the front rocker entry just like it does on your thruster (imagine an upside-down airplane wing). Unfortunately, the lift works on both water and air and the aerodynamic lift keeps you from making the drop. I think the new nose has less lift and he's compensating for the loss of hydrodynamic lift with buoyancy.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Interesting, and it generally makes sense, I guess. Wonder what size wave it takes to have diminishing returns. It looks tough to stuff a nose like that into a late drop at OB. looking at the boards on the rack, it seems like he's using that nose design down to the mid-8-foot range. Would love to give one of those a try if we ever have a decent season again.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Made me think about the noses on my two performance long fish fish shapes. The blue one is a DVS 7' rocket fish. Dick has been building open ocean race paddle boards for a very long time. The black railed one is a Gary McNeill 6'8" Entity. Gary doesn't make paddleboards as far as I know.
IMG_2342.JPGIMG_2344.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: money4coffeeman