Justin Quintal wins WSL Longboard World Title!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yes, spot on, and when E for example walks up the boardwalk, it's like the horn sounded for the heat. Everyone wants one of E's mis-timed photos of them mid-pump in the flat, or the rare gem: tossing their front arm the wrong way across their chest, trailing arm wrong way across their back, during their top turn. For their instagram.

I don't begrudge some grom that wants to "make the report" per se, but...Grom 1 goes, Grom 2 wants to make the report, paddles the section down on Grom 1. Report photo of Grom 1 in the flat looking at the section accelerating away because Grom 2 paddled it down on him. Grom 2 pulling back on his rails in lip line. Yay.

Kind of a similar thing with the "looking good so and so" crowd. I mean I expect that person is friendly enough but that crew is pretty bad about burning people just because they can, and all to kind of wobble down one on the back half of a noserider in full stinkbug.

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
jaxbeachgallery.blogspot.com
I mean I expect that person is friendly enough but that crew is pretty bad about burning people just because they can, and all to kind of wobble down one on the back half of a noserider in full stinkbug.
I had two of regs in question from the pier come surf down outback of my moms place ( been a regular since the early 80s there ) His buddy burned me on his first wave, looked right at me too. Then I paddled right over to him and said, "You guys take that crap back down to the pier but that $hit isn't happening here."
Paddled over to the kid I knew and said, Hey! You're _____ kid aren't you?, Don't make me call your dad and tell him you're burning people here"
He got the message. HIs dad would smack him in the head for that crap. As I would with my sons.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
FHS Class of '02

Got made fun of for being from Mayport. But guess who was everyone's friend when they needed base access to surf blue tops after 9/11?

Reactions: jbd and wills120

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Like many of you, I don't follow the WSL longboarding tour... heck, I sometimes forget to tune into the WSL tour altogether...
Having said that, you can just watch JQ surf and know that he is legit. Never met him, but he comes across as a cool dude.

More importantly, he helped steer "pro longboarding" back to it's roots of single fin surfing. Nothing worse than someone trying to pop an air on a 9' 3-fin longboard. Was fun watching the bits of Taiwan contest that I caught.

Who is the kook on here saying he's fat? Would you try and kiss him if he was skinny? Get da fuq outta here Barn!

Kinda crazy to wake up this a.m. and see Jax beach has it's first WSL world champion.
I've watched him grow up and get better every year, He surfs any kind of board really but on a longboard he's pretty unreal to see in the water.
Congrats JQ! You will never have to buy a beer at this beach again! yeeeeeew!

wills120

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 2, 2003
Carlsbad, CA
I had two of regs in question from the pier come surf down outback of my moms place ( been a regular since the early 80s there ) His buddy burned me on his first wave, looked right at me too. Then I paddled right over to him and said, "You guys take that crap back down to the pier but that $hit isn't happening here."
Paddled over to the kid I knew and said, Hey! You're _____ kid aren't you?, Don't make me call your dad and tell him you're burning people here"
He got the message. HIs dad would smack him in the head for that crap. As I would with my sons.
You guys all pretty much covered it and I'm fairly certain I know all of you from one time or another. Used to be known as "SeaBass" when younger as I was a deckhand for 10 years on the Miss Mayport or "Cisco" on a certain messageboard. Of course, by that time I had pretty much checked out and was completely devoted to my escape plan.

I'd be remiss if I forgot to mention a big part of that catalyst was an altercation at the Lighthouse with HK. That clown savagely burned me on a left and then went into a complete rage when I turned underneath and around him and sent him flailing into the flats. I smiled and said "It's cool, no big deal" but of course he thought the whole thing was my fault and preceded to wrap my leash around my throat and drown me underwater before breaking all the fins off my board and punching me three times in the face. Five minutes later he was crying and apologizing - moaning something about his daughter starting her first period and his wife leaving. He offered to repair my board but I left and never went back. Surfed the Plaza and a couple of contests at the Poles but I knew the full conversion to Donkeystan had happened and I was over it.

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
I'd be remiss if I forgot to mention a big part of that catalyst was an altercation at the Lighthouse with HK. That clown savagely burned me on a left and then went into a complete rage when I turned underneath and around him and sent him flailing into the flats. I smiled and said "It's cool, no big deal" but of course he thought the whole thing was my fault and preceded to wrap my leash around my throat and drown me underwater before breaking all the fins off my board and punching me three times in the face. Five minutes later he was crying and apologizing - moaning something about his daughter starting her first period and his wife leaving. He offered to repair my board but I left and never went back. Surfed the Plaza and a couple of contests at the Poles but I knew the full conversion to Donkeystan had happened and I was over it.
WT......?

HK? hmm, That's Not coming to mind?

What a crazy story.....Gotta know now...
another hint pls.

Last edited:

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
WT......?

Kauf?

another hint pls.
Is this a late entry into the erBB 2019 'GG Tease But Don't Tell Award'?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
"Surf Contest" says it all.
that's an excellent point, one i never considered, as i try to verbalize what is wrong with organized surfing vis a vis the Olympics, the WSL, etc. are any other sporting events considered "contests"?

wills120

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 2, 2003
Carlsbad, CA
WT......?

Kauf?

another hint pls.
Harry Kennedy I believe was his name. Hot pink longboard, lived in a trailer in that shitpatch to the south of the gate to Hanna Park within fapping distance to the old strip clubs, about 280 lbs of fat and muscle and an IQ approaching the lowest water temps that NFL gets....well known enforcer back in the 80s at the old pier but did get put in his place on occasion. The Mayport crew absolutely despised him and unfortunately for me I was one of them although I'm not sure that factored into the incident.

Definitely not MK.....he growled at me and other groms when we were little and threatened to stuff us in garbage cans but we deserved it and he was always cool overall- never ever had a problem with him or anyone else and my grandfather was a big fan of his and often hired him for his expertise. We knew the stories about the Mayor and how he made his "real" living in the past and none of us cared, in fact we protected him out of respect and always wilI. I also happened to be on the deck of a snapper boat when the FBI tried to catch some "folks" in the 90's and that sh!t went down bad but that's another story.... BTW, a big "Gracias" to Captain Chris Savitz of the Sea Gwen/King Neptune/Miss Mayport and others for dragging that neanderthal off me or I would have been chum.

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
Harry Kennedy I believe was his name. Hot pink longboard, lived in a trailer in that shitpatch to the south of the gate to Hanna Park within fapping distance to the old strip clubs, about 280 lbs of fat and muscle and an IQ approaching the lowest water temps that NFL gets....well known enforcer back in the 80s at the old pier but did get put in his place on occasion. The Mayport crew absolutely despised him and unfortunately for me I was one of them although I'm not sure that factored into the incident.

Definitely not MK.....he growled at me and other groms when we were little and threatened to stuff us in garbage cans but we deserved it and he was always cool overall- never ever had a problem with him or anyone else and my grandfather was a big fan of his and often hired him for his expertise. We knew the stories about the Mayor and how he made his "real" living in the past and none of us cared, in fact we protected him out of respect and always wilI. I also happened to be on the deck of a snapper boat when the FBI tried to catch some "folks" in the 90's and that sh!t went down bad but that's another story.... BTW, a big "Gracias" to Captain Chris Savitz of the Sea Gwen/King Neptune/Miss Mayport and others for dragging that neanderthal off me or I would have been chum.
HK doesn't ring a bell, would probably know him if I saw him though. Only guy I know that rides pink boards is da MURPH. (started Irish surf culture) I will ask around now though.
I worked at HIXONS back in the early 80s, MK was the big dog on campus then....still kinda is. I've heard all the old stories too.
heck, half the guys I knew back then had those stories....

not much enforcing at the poles now unless you do it yourself. Pretty much a free for all place now.
I prefer to surf outback of my parents in south jax or down at Guana....no hassle, no crowd still.
Poles for sure breaks better but not worth the hassle unless it's the only spot working.

Reactions: wills120