JOB Pipeline Wipeout

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
http://instagr.am/p/BwAbeWRAO0d/
Apparently, JOB cracked his head on the reef and got knocked out on Saturday at Pipe. Waves were really good that day, but the sandbar was weird and it was extremely crowded (as it always seems to be now).

Gnarly.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I guess everybody has to pay their dues, anybody know if Mason ever gets hurt with all his dry rock/reef shenanigans.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
craigj532 said:
Apparently, JOB cracked his head on the reef and got knocked out on Saturday at Pipe. Waves were really good that day, but the sandbar was weird and it was extremely crowded (as it always seems to be now).

Gnarly.
isn't that size also the most dangerous out there cause it's breaking right at the reef? about the same size when Dusty hit his head too?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
mundus said:
I guess everybody has to pay their dues, anybody know if Mason ever gets hurt with all his dry rock/reef shenanigans.
he's already paid plenty of dues out there. Broken both legs, and left plenty of skin out there. Just goes to show Pipe aint nothing to fuck with even if you're JOB. That said on any given day he's out there playing with it like its 2 foot porto.

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
I wondered if that was you on the inside based on your comment.

It looked super dangerous out there with the crowd. I took one look at it and decided to stick with the sandbars instead.

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
stu dog said:
craigj532 said:

Gnarly.
isn't that size also the most dangerous out there cause it's breaking right at the reef? about the same size when Dusty hit his head too?
I got knocked out there on a day that was about the same size.

But people get hurt out there in all kinds of conditions.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
craigj532 said:
I wondered if that was you on the inside based on your comment.

It looked super dangerous out there with the crowd. I took one look at it and decided to stick with the sandbars instead.
Decent size but really clean early in the morning. Watch JOB's POV video and you can see me on the very inside.

Here's one of Jamie earlier that morning

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
If you look at Jamie's goPro angle it makes me wonder if he got distracted by the person who is in his line in the impact zone. Looked kind of wonky too like there was some sort of backwash going on or something. Those conditions looked like a high degree of difficulty even though it wasn't huge pipe.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California

He seems to think he hit your housing

https://beachgrit.com/2019/04/watch-job-knocked-unconscious-at-pipe-life-saved-by-floatation-wetsuit/[/quote]

haha thats awesome, he was like - " hope that guys ok too"

Doubt JOB gets distracted by much out there. If someone in your line throws you off at Pipe, youd never make one wave.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Autoprax said:
Staples in the head are nothing.
standard now if you have a head cut. guess it's easier to apply than stitches? doesn't hurt at all either. had to get 7 staples when cut my head open doing some bathroom remodeling.

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
Racer1 said:
Is it stapled to your skull or just stapling the skin together?
It's just the skin. When I got knocked out at Pipe, I got five staples in the head, and three stitches on the back of my shoulder (which is what hit the reef first). I also got an x-ray, which revealed water in my lungs. So, I got to sit in the ER for eight hours for observation because they were worried about dry land drowning. I coughed for hours and hours.

Looks like JOB skipped the x-ray and observation period.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
stu dog said:
Autoprax said:
Staples in the head are nothing.
standard now if you have a head cut. guess it's easier to apply than stitches? doesn't hurt at all either. had to get 7 staples when cut my head open doing some bathroom remodeling.
That is why you should always call a trained professional. We only make it look easy.