Jimmy Buffett dead at 76

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I thik it would be nice if Gromsdad changed the title of this thread to the traditional; format of Memorium.

Jimmy Buffet.....Done!

Reactions: SirKooksALot

SirKooksALot

OTF status
Apr 1, 2020
His music is what it is and brought a lot of joy to a lot of people, but he was one of the few rich/famous people I'd actually have any interest in meeting and hanging out with. RIP to a legend that seems to have done things right in this life

Reactions: Chocki

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Skin cancer that metastasized. Just like most of us, he spent a lot of time in the sun.

buttholesurfer

Duke status
Dec 20, 2002
RatBeach
One of my all time favorites!!!!!!!R.I.P Jimmy!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the heart of your soul.

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
Margaritaville is the only song I know that is guaranteed to get everyone around the campfire to join in and sing right out loud con gusto.
You havw not spent much time on boats. Every Buffets on boats, especially sailors.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
Buffett and Bono took his plane over to Jamaica and when they got there the authorities fired on them, I guess they thought they were smugglers or something.
After everything was straightened out Buffett wrote the song "Mistaka in Jamaica" :roflmao:

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
I have not heard of this one. I assumed it was a melanoma. Are the related?
melanoma spreads through your blood, Merkel spreads through your lymph system.
I lived in Pascagoula, Mississippi for a couple of years before moving to California. I worked in shipyard building Destroyers for the Navy. Jimmy never forgot his roots and was good friends and business partner with several of my old surf buddies. Loved his music. View attachment 161961
On of my surfing buddies posted this on facebook. I thought I would share it with the
erBb.

It’s been said: never meet your heroes, they’ll only disappoint you! mmmm – maybe not always. Like a lot of people my age, I’d known Jimmy Buffett my entire adult life, and like all of those born on the gulf coast, he knew us too! How could he not, he wrote about us in all of his songs. I met Jimmy for real in a bar (of course) in St. Thomas. He wanted to build a Margaritaville there, and I wanted my company to build it with him on a beautiful piece of land we owned. When Jimmy heard I was from Pascagoula, he was intrigued and wanted to meet me. There are no words to describe how I felt. We both ordered a Don Julio 1942 on the rocks which pretty much set the tone for our journey together. We sipped our ’42 and talked about everything but our development project. Pascagoula…surfing…New Orleans…our beloved Saints…planes…fishing…bone fishing (they are two totally different things) more Pascagoula…more Saints. During that time we went from sipping 1942 to drinking 1942. We closed the bar down, forgot to go to the bathroom and barely escaped getting busted by the Ritz Carlton security for peeing in the bushes next to the swimming pool. Like Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn, we were on our way. People frequently asked me What’s Jimmy like? Well in some very dramatic ways he was not like you and me at all. He was famous. But unlike some celebrities he embraced his fame. He was grateful for the life it had given him. He was an artistic genius, hence the fame…but he worked his butt off on his genius and all of us were the benefactors of that effort. He chronicled his life and ours through his music and his stories. We laughed, we cried, we got drunk and we screwed and we lived our lives waiting for the next Jimmy Buffett concert, so that we could sing every word to every song that he ever wrote. If you never saw him I’m truly sorry. If you did you know. Jimmy was also more like you and me than you think. He loved dogs, was a doting father, an incredibly shrewd businessman, sometimes shy, enthusiastically generous, compassionate, emotional, funny, vulnerable, loyal, and unfortunately for us, mortal. A national treasure, an icon, a transcendent star, but also just like you and me, a human being.

“Then one day the poet suddenly did die
But he left behind a closet, filled with verse and rhyme

And now he’s called immortal yes he’s even taught in school
They say he used his talents, a most proficient tool”

I miss him already❤

Attachments

buttholesurfer

Duke status
Dec 20, 2002
RatBeach
melanoma spreads through your blood, Merkel spreads through your lymph system.

On of my surfing buddies posted this on facebook. I thought I would share it with the
erBb.

It’s been said: never meet your heroes, they’ll only disappoint you! mmmm – maybe not always. Like a lot of people my age, I’d known Jimmy Buffett my entire adult life, and like all of those born on the gulf coast, he knew us too! How could he not, he wrote about us in all of his songs. I met Jimmy for real in a bar (of course) in St. Thomas. He wanted to build a Margaritaville there, and I wanted my company to build it with him on a beautiful piece of land we owned. When Jimmy heard I was from Pascagoula, he was intrigued and wanted to meet me. There are no words to describe how I felt. We both ordered a Don Julio 1942 on the rocks which pretty much set the tone for our journey together. We sipped our ’42 and talked about everything but our development project. Pascagoula…surfing…New Orleans…our beloved Saints…planes…fishing…bone fishing (they are two totally different things) more Pascagoula…more Saints. During that time we went from sipping 1942 to drinking 1942. We closed the bar down, forgot to go to the bathroom and barely escaped getting busted by the Ritz Carlton security for peeing in the bushes next to the swimming pool. Like Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn, we were on our way. People frequently asked me What’s Jimmy like? Well in some very dramatic ways he was not like you and me at all. He was famous. But unlike some celebrities he embraced his fame. He was grateful for the life it had given him. He was an artistic genius, hence the fame…but he worked his butt off on his genius and all of us were the benefactors of that effort. He chronicled his life and ours through his music and his stories. We laughed, we cried, we got drunk and we screwed and we lived our lives waiting for the next Jimmy Buffett concert, so that we could sing every word to every song that he ever wrote. If you never saw him I’m truly sorry. If you did you know. Jimmy was also more like you and me than you think. He loved dogs, was a doting father, an incredibly shrewd businessman, sometimes shy, enthusiastically generous, compassionate, emotional, funny, vulnerable, loyal, and unfortunately for us, mortal. A national treasure, an icon, a transcendent star, but also just like you and me, a human being.

“Then one day the poet suddenly did die
But he left behind a closet, filled with verse and rhyme

And now he’s called immortal yes he’s even taught in school
They say he used his talents, a most proficient tool”

I miss him already❤

Outstanding read!!!!!!Cheerz for that!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the heart of your soul.

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Here's a little tribute G&G asked me to pen.
what a great read...thank you for that. Buffett's music is woven inextricably into my childhood & those long car rides to Hatteras really set the hook deep. the first songs i ever learned the words to were from Songs You Know by Heart...i didn't, but by the time the cassette wore out, i certainly did. part of me held out hope that i'd be lucky enough to run into him in Hatteras or somewhere on the banks so i could tell him just how much his music & writing has meant to me.

Dec 27, 2020
Here's a little tribute G&G asked me to pen.
You scored the gig of a lifetime. What an amazing experience is must've been. Glad you were there to be his #1 fun-haver and very sorry for your loss. I've been a fan since living in the Keys in the mid-70's and am just amazed how everything blew up. A legend in so many ways...