Is this for real?

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Yes.
We just had some days that looked like that during the King Tides last week.
That pic is probably before any big storms had hit and flushed Rincon Creek out depositing a lot of sand and filling the cove in.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I've seen pictures of it more recently where it was extreme low tide / exposed as well. Maybe not like that picture, but I'll defer to the lifelong local, Duffy. ??

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Can you say booties?

I surfed a spot in Morocco with a friend. We were warned not to leave anything on the beach or it would get stolen, so we took turns surfing . I went first. It was a little sketchy, kind of murky water, head high and grindy. Couldn't see the bottom. When I got out the tide was beginning to drop. My friend goes out and the tide goes way out, like that photo. Only the bottom was composed of rocks where most of the rock eroded but there were like veins of hard stone sticking up. I felt really bad for my buddy. It took him like 30 minutes to walk in.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
YEp! @SteveT is right.
I've experienced it like that pic many times. Sometimes there is no sand path at all along the higher tide line and it makes for a long walk up the point, especially with no boots.
Sand ebbs and flows during winter with swells, rains, and tides. After heavy rains, a lot of sand can be deposited on the lower point below the rivermouth. In low rain years you won't get much sand and it will look like that. Bring your booties!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Compare the ocean level at Rincon 1966 vs today. View attachment 104067
Ocean level is barely different today than it was 1966.

Best measurements we have estimate global average sea level rise around 8 in over the last 100 years (mostly due to thermal expansion).

What you see in that photo is called “low tide”.

You can see by the marks on the sand (and the sea life on the rocks) that a few hours earlier that was all under water during what is called “high tide”.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Can you say booties?

I surfed a spot in Morocco with a friend. We were warned not to leave anything on the beach or it would get stolen, so we took turns surfing . I went first. It was a little sketchy, kind of murky water, head high and grindy. Couldn't see the bottom. When I got out the tide was beginning to drop. My friend goes out and the tide goes way out, like that photo. Only the bottom was composed of rocks where most of the rock eroded but there were like veins of hard stone sticking up. I felt really bad for my buddy. It took him like 30 minutes to walk in.
flat rocks bro, not sharp at all. even your princess feet would have no problem scurrying across at low tide.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Ocean level is barely different today than it was 1966.

Best measurements we have estimate global average sea level rise around 8 in over the last 100 years (mostly due to thermal expansion).

What you see in that photo is called “low tide”.

You can see by the marks on the sand (and the sea life on the rocks) that a few hours earlier that was all under water during what is called “high tide”.

Guaranteed OP knew that, but a lie by omission in the name of sea level rise was worth a shot.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Guaranteed OP knew that, but a lie by omission in the name of sea level rise was worth a shot.
A couple years ago during what was during probably a 3 year run of no-swell winters a friend of mine basically said this was how it’s going to be because of climate change.

Last week he attributed this recent month long run of non-stop surf to....

....climate change.

Also, during the recent king tides was at the beach at high tide and overheard people talking about how shocked and worried they were about this rapidly accelerating ocean level rise.

I told them to come back in a few hours and be shocked again at how quickly it reversed itself.

I’m always amazed at how people who know nothing about tides, swell, weather, causes of beach erosion, El Niño, localized ocean temp, etc. consider themselves people of science.

“Because science” has become the new checkmate in arguments. You just have to say the word. Maybe toss in “data” and “studies show” for the ultimate death blow.

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
A couple years ago during what was during probably a 3 year run of no-swell winters a friend of mine basically said this was how it’s going to be because of climate change.

Last week he attributed this recent month long run of non-stop surf to....

....climate change.

Also, during the recent king tides was at the beach at high tide and overheard people talking about how shocked and worried they were about this rapidly accelerating ocean level rise.

I told them to come back in a few hours and be shocked again at how quickly it reversed itself.

I’m always amazed at how people who know nothing about tides, swell, weather, causes of beach erosion, El Niño, localized ocean temp, etc. consider themselves people of science.

“Because science” has become the new checkmate in arguments. You just have to say the word. Maybe toss in “data” and “studies show” for the ultimate death blow.
Yep. And even when you offer a scientifically supported opinion that just happens to differ from theirs, you are a "science denier". End of discussion.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
flat rocks bro, not sharp at all. even your princess feet would have no problem scurrying across at low tide.
I've surfed Rincon many a time. Was just reacting to the rock field. But even at Rincon I'd find a way to slip and have my foot slide over a barnacle or mussel. I've had cuts on the bottom of my feet or the worst was on my heel that took forever to heal because I kept walking on them and they'd reopen (kind of like the one on my hand right now).

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Key news is major source of stupidity here in 805...
The tv show news? Haven’t watched it in a couple decades.

All I can remember about it is the one news news babe that had an alcohol problem and IIRC she got a DUI fixed by the judge she was fucking (I may not be getting the details right).

The other one was a news dude who went surfing at Ledbetter and had to be rescued because the surf was so “huge” it broke his leash so without his board he was basically helpless.

Then he goes on tv talking about ocean safety.

Am I getting these right?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
The tv show news? Haven’t watched it in a couple decades.

All I can remember about it is the one news news babe that had an alcohol problem and IIRC she got a DUI fixed by the judge she was fucking (I may not be getting the details right).

The other one was a news dude who went surfing at Ledbetter and had to be rescued because the surf was so “huge” it broke his leash so without his board he was basically helpless.

Then he goes on tv talking about ocean safety.

Am I getting these right?
Lopez was the beach who had drinking problem and was married to a judge so she got off. CJ ward is kook who got rescued by SBFD at bedwetter on head high day.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
We don't have enough data on climate to make any guesses.
However, we do know that the Earth has never seen the amount of carbon emissions we've done in the last 100 years.
However to that however, we don't have enough data to know how the Earth responses to those emissions.
Maybe it's bad? Or maybe Earth turns it in to some sort of positive? Or maybe it's not even significant enough to matter?

Reactions: kidfury
Feb 19, 2010
Los Angeles
I always think about tides and swells when sea level rise comes up. The tides where I live regularly change the water level by nearly EIGHT feet in SIX hours, and then on top of that, swells regularly show up on the local buoys at between TEN and TWENTY feet. Erosion and sand movement in any exposed area is significant. I would think if your home is vulnerable to an inch a decade of sea level rise, you probably have much bigger more immediate problems to contend with!

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Yep, just a normal low low tide.

I think that the big rocks in the OP pic are different. The rocks that are there now are much larger, and I think the freeway itself is built higher than back then?