Is the official story out yet?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
as a publicly traded company, Boeing‘s mission is to maximize shareholder value
when the impact of these shortcuts cost shareholders more than the savings, I expect change
until then, free market capitalism,, baby
noone is forcing you to fly

boeing needs more ai
that’ll give shareholder value a jolt

• Sad
Reactions: afoaf

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I dont think we are anywhere close to that level.

Many of these malfunctions did not result in deaths. Not to dismiss it this at all but if we were at auto accident levels it would be like planes going down in flames every day.

From what I can gather this is from Boeing not having sufficent oversight and basically doing everything they could to cut corners and increase profits. When company execs can make more money by doing stock buybacks than by doing the hard work of actually making a functioning product it is a problem.
Stock buybacks should be Illegal.

Reactions: afoaf and Ifallalot

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the fact that the tax code is so lax on corporations has allowed them to stockpile money and drive up share prices instead of investing in R&D and productivity improvements

the period when america enjoyed the most productivity increases and innovation was during the time when progressive tax code that went as high as 50%

at that rate, the business can put it in to development (tax writeoff) or employees in lieu of giving it to uncle sam

the tax system in the US is fkn broken when it comes to federal corporate and individual policy.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
the fact that the tax code is so lax on corporations has allowed them to stockpile money and drive up share prices instead of investing in R&D and productivity improvements

the period when america enjoyed the most productivity increases and innovation was during the time when progressive tax code that went as high as 50%.
People who repeat that fallacy always forget what else was going on worldwide during that period

There was equal productivity and innovation in the second half of the 19th Century when the government was as lassiez faire as it ever was without having to resort to taxation and subsidy schemes

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I don't know if this has been mentioned, and I could be wrong

But we seem to have a pretty good air safety record in this country over the past decades.

Many of the civilian passenger planes in use were many decades old and still flying safely.

We now have a very large number of new aircraft with more technology that are seemingly wrought with problems and safety issues. That is some irony.

It's pretty bizarre. Costly problem for sure. It's not like they can click their fingers and free new planes appear that actually function correctly.
Good point. But I'd also wonder, in the grand scheme of things, how much worse statistically has plane safety gotten?

I know there have been some horror stories as of late, but you know the news cycle. they're not going to provide any stats or perspective. I'd imagine that it's still extremely safe.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
People who repeat that fallacy always forget what else was going on worldwide during that period

There was equal productivity and innovation in the second half of the 19th Century when the government was as lassiez faire as it ever was without having to resort to taxation and subsidy schemes
this is well past WWII and in to the 60's and 70's

try again

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
It also takes that long for the current generation to forget that is was hard work, sacrifice and a sense of duty shared by all that made us the greatest nation ever. People used to take greater pride in their work. Now, not so much.... Boeing was the pinnacle of quality.
This is a reflection on how rudderless we are as a country and will continue to be so, until, someone with real leadership capability steps up and gets both sides talking and working towards compromise.
Pretty sad current state of affairs'.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
It also takes that long for the current generation to forget that is was hard work, sacrifice and a sense of duty shared by all that made us the greatest nation ever. People used to take greater pride in their work. Now, not so much.... Boeing was the pinnacle of quality.
This is a reflection on how rudderless we are as a country and will continue to be so, until, someone with real leadership capability steps up and gets both sides talking and working towards compromise.
Pretty sad current state of affairs'.
If you think about it, it's pretty much a rags to riches to rags in three generations but on a national scale.

Look at our ambitions and competition. 50s through 80s, we had the Soviets and the resulting space race, along with a need for fast technological advancement.

Now our competition is China and it's a race for who can profit the most out of cheap, disposable/replaceable for lack of a better word, sh!t. Exactly what you are saying re: pride.

I get the feeling too many people at the top are too busy cashing in to care. The Democrats throw up the kumbaya stuff, take the high road, compromise but it doesn't work. The most frustrating part is the problems are not all that complex and the solutions are not that difficult, you just have to tune out the chronically offended - set up a government program where they get 2 free cats a year as a payoff.

Someone a little more combative that does not kowtow to any special interests whatsoever and gets sh!t done. RIP to both so we need new ones but you would need a competent underliner:

1712863054103.png

And someone to fundraise through the proper channels:

1712864076670.png

• Love
Reactions: grapedrink

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
it's not the onboard technology that is causing engine covers and door plugs to fall off midflight
True, but Boeing's onboard technology most certainly caused two jetliners to nose dive and kill everyone on board.

Reactions: john4surf

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
True, but Boeing's onboard technology most certainly caused two jetliners to nose dive and kill everyone on board.
a symptom of the broader deterioration of their manufacturing quality

the fact that the system was dependent on a single sensor is fkn criminal after Air France 447

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
somehow they shrunk the cabin. i smacked my head on the overhead bin but good.
i guess they fly lots of midgets. :rolleyes:
People mock Spirit all the time but for the money I can suffer. Just booked a flight on American so my son could be on the same flight with friends and the price difference between American and Spirit is hard to justify. $345 vs $796 to fly the same destinations on the same dates. American's planes are a little nicer.....but they are not that much nicer anymore.