Is the official story out yet?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I have an uncle who was a Boeing mechanic for 40 plus years. He died recently but he used to swear by Boeings planes and said he wouldn’t fly on an airbus. Maybe it was just hometeam pride? But it was something that every commercial Boeing was capable of flying with only one engine and allegedly airbuses aren’t. He used to call them “Scarebus”. Now airbus is looking pretty damn good.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Oh yeah, FAA should not worry about passenger safety because Boeing would admit wrongdoing and ground the 737 until it's fixed.

Corporations will do the right thing if government just left them alone.

Just your regular libertarian delusions.

First EPA and FDA, now FCC.... You basically hate any 3 letters put together.
DEI, CRT, FBI ...
Corporate criminality that cost lives upset liberals so of course Ifail just has to support it. Plus always on the side of the rich and powerful no matter what like a good little Authoritarian.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
interesting.

resonates with some of my experiences in tech. @PRCD might appreciate

Yes, interesting. Absurd. They ran their QA program for pura :poop: and the regulators did pura chingada about it over years. Not an isolated incident.

Industrial knowledge is gained through experience. New employees aren’t as experienced. You get what you pay for.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
interesting.

resonates with some of my experiences in tech. @PRCD might appreciate

that was a great article

they got caught with their pants down by airbus and their response was to jam absurdly heavy engines that were never contemplated by the original plane design on to the wings which drastically increased likelihood for stalling...to fix that, they duct tapped a single sensor on the nose and had a cocaine monkey write some of the shittiest software imaginable to jerry rig it for launch

and then two of them accelerated in to the dirt, pulverizing 346 people

my brother works at Boeing, he says that the vibe internally is pretty sticky right now

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Good luck finding a route with a connector without 1 Boeing in the mix
frontier is all airbus and flies everywhere - downside for those who don't live in CO is that you pretty much always connect through denver and the overall experience is like greyhound with less comfortable seats

Reactions: Ifallalot

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
frontier is all airbus and flies everywhere - downside for those who don't live in CO is that you pretty much always connect through denver and the overall experience is like greyhound with less comfortable seats
I flew Frontier LAX to Ft Lauderdale. Seemed fine. We stopped somewhere I forget

Reactions: crustBrother

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
How can you not fly a Boeing? Its virtually impossible if you want to go anywhere in the US
I don't know if this has been mentioned, and I could be wrong

But we seem to have a pretty good air safety record in this country over the past decades.

Many of the civilian passenger planes in use were many decades old and still flying safely.

We now have a very large number of new aircraft with more technology that are seemingly wrought with problems and safety issues. That is some irony.

It's pretty bizarre. Costly problem for sure. It's not like they can click their fingers and free new planes appear that actually function correctly.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
We now have a very large number of new aircraft with more technology that are seemingly wrought with problems and safety issues. That is some irony.
I don't think this is an entirely accurate estimation of the situation

it's not the onboard technology that is causing engine covers and door plugs to fall off midflight

this is about Boeing's manufacturing excellence being cannibalized in pursuit of higher stock prices

even the Air Max issue was an issue with quality control and testing, and less about unreliable tech (even though the core issue was software based)

Reactions: Aruka

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Are we nearing the point where air travel is no longer safer than automobile travel?

I’m kinda sick of always hearing that air travel is so much safer

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Are we nearing the point where air travel is no longer safer than automobile travel?

I’m kinda sick of always hearing that air travel is so much safer
I dont think we are anywhere close to that level.

Many of these malfunctions did not result in deaths. Not to dismiss it this at all but if we were at auto accident levels it would be like planes going down in flames every day.

From what I can gather this is from Boeing not having sufficent oversight and basically doing everything they could to cut corners and increase profits. When company execs can make more money by doing stock buybacks than by doing the hard work of actually making a functioning product it is a problem.