is jason hall realy moving to maine??????

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Medellin and bogota and Cartagena and the Danube, maybe Vienna and Switzerland, chamonix in winter….and Alaska….all high on the list. Yucatán is meh for me.
africa for sure, to surf and see animals and sh!t

oh I HAVE to see Gibraltar. In fact I’d like to take a month just moseying around the Iberian peninsula with boards in the rented X5 and money to spend
Medellin is the most livable inland "developing world" city I've ever been to, by miles.

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Medellin is the most livable inland "developing world" city I've ever been to, by miles.
I’ve heard the climate is flawless like 330 days per year. Elevation keeps it cooler and drier than most equatorial regions. 70s during the days and low 60s at night

relatively thriving middle and professional class I think? At least by developing world standards

being that landlocked is a deal breaker alas. Would still like to visit Of course

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
The coffee and scenery? I don't get Medellin I guess that's Columbia right?
I think we're doing Maine this year, my wife was born there but that's my one condition, to drive the coast.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Lived in Colombia as a child, only have the craziest memories of the place, so vivid, live things literally everywhere you look... and most places you cannot see too.

Remember the bed checks to make sure there wasn't anything that could kill us in the sack anxiously awaiting our arrival.

:crazy2::poke::shark:

West coast was SUPER rugged back then, in the 70's.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The coffee and scenery? I don't get Medellin I guess that's Columbia right?
I think we're doing Maine this year, my wife was born there but that's my one condition, to drive the coast.
Yes I've heard lots of good things about it, and I like the cities in Central Mexico with some altitude for the climate and scenery. People say Europe is full of tourists. I am like the only green->go I see. And it's way less expensive.

Reactions: grapedrink

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Ok so it's been a year and a half so here's alittle Maine update...

Summers in Maine are awesome, water is trunkable and there's actually been legit surf (by CA standards not HI)
Living in the mid coast area I've discovered that all of these peninsulas and little offshore islands all over are wave magnets. There are slab waves all over the place if you go look. Purchasing a small boat is now on the bucket list. This week will see my first hurricane swell (Franklin) and I'll be out at my local spots alone.

TGFP (Thank God For Pickleball) :bowdown: ... I spend less time in the water as it's not as consistent as CA or HI, so pickleball has been an excellent alternative. I play indoor in the winter and outdoor in the summer, 6 days a week....actually have shed about 25lbs since I started playing a year ago. Some of the local fisherman/lobsterman play as well and I've become friends with...and that has it's perks. :giggle:

Sunshine..there's plenty of it. Before moving to HI we stayed in the PNW for a month and it was miserably overcast for weeks. I hated it, and some on this thread have tried to compare Maine to the PNW and that was one of the big differences IMO. It can be cold as F, but if it's sunny it's ok by me.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

Summers in Maine are awesome, water is trunkable and there's actually been legit surf (by CA standards not HI)
Living in the mid coast area I've discovered that all of these peninsulas and little offshore islands all over are wave magnets. There are slab waves all over the place if you go look. Purchasing a small boat is now on the bucket list. This week will see my first hurricane swell (Franklin) and I'll be out at my local spots alone.

TGFP (Thank God For Pickleball) :bowdown: ... I spend less time in the water as it's not as consistent as CA or HI, so pickleball has been an excellent alternative. I play indoor in the winter and outdoor in the summer, 6 days a week....actually have shed about 25lbs since I started playing a year ago. Some of the local fisherman/lobsterman play as well and I've become friends with...and that has it's perks. :giggle:

Sunshine..there's plenty of it. Before moving to HI we stayed in the PNW for a month and it was miserably overcast for weeks. I hated it, and some on this thread have tried to compare Maine to the PNW and that was one of the big differences IMO. It can be cold as F, but if it's sunny it's ok by me.
I have family in a little town called Otter Creek near Bar Harbor. Its an insanely beautiful place. The beach there looks a little like Weimea Bay before anything was built.....a giant sand cove with rocks and cliffs on its sides and a river mouth that ponds up. I've never seen a surfable wave there though. An incredible place to visit but I don't think I could do winters there. July August and September are great. By mid-October it becomes pretty inhospitable and stays that way until June.

There is a ton of surf potential if you had the time to dial it in and had a boat or jetski to get you to the nooks and crannies. Shoreline access is pretty limited up there and almost nonexistent.

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
I'm half chubbed just thinking about summers up there. Been peeling my nuts off my thigh for the past 3 months here in the dirty souf. My time is coming though. Love fall/winter here. The dual residence folks have it made. I'll never be able to afford to do that, so I gotta pick one and I just can't do those long winters.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
What’s crazy is you think how gnarly the winters are in Maine, and then think about all of the costal and inland towns and cities to the north in Canada, and that chit is even colder. I don’t know how the canucks do it
I spent many winters down the road in Portsmouth NH.. It's not that bad...maybe average about 10 degrees colder than NYC. Nothing compared to winters in the midwest. Go to Alberta in February if you want to feel what cold really feels like.

Reactions: Subway

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
From a being cold perspective, I'll take thermal underwear, fancy socks, and my snowboard sh!t in Lake Louise over changing out of a wet wetsuit in New Hampshire in February any day of the week.

Hell a wet wetsuit February morning at Mayport is colder than anything I've seen snowboarding.

VM were you attending a nude foam party with Marco Rubio and a bunch of Fort McMurray oil workers or some sh!t?

• Haha
Reactions: jkb

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019

I grew up not too far from where you’re at. Insanely beautiful area. And occasionally some great waves. You’ve got some good ones near you — especially if you can get on a boat.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Wife and I rode bikes a couple years ago from Portland, Maine to Boston. Unbelievably beautiful sights through coastal and countryside areas. Being there in summer, I could totally see living in Maine, but know I’d hate (and wife would more) the winters.