Is it unethical to upgrade your iPhone?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Sure, but does the 11 do all those things so much better than what people already have? I'm willing to bet that a large percentage of people rushing to buy the 11 already have the 10.

Plus you cannot compare a camera phone to a proper camera. Yes it works for day to day photos, but without a proper zoom, there are lots of scenarios such as wildlife photography where it simply does not work. Cameras are way cheaper nowadays, specifically because of phones.

That's like saying you're not paying $40k for a new car if you finance it. You are still paying for it, it just feels more manageable.

I have a 1st Gen iphone X. Im up for an upgrade so I will go up to the 11 cause why not? Same price. Will it blow my mind probably not. Those days of phones are over. There already is so much innovation in them its hard to come up with something jaw dropping every year.

About the cameras you are stating the obvious. Point is these arent just phones. Its like having a full time assistant that plays games and does just about everything you could ever want. You use it more than anything else you own. 1000 well spent.

A far as the financing - fine. I still have 250 worth of payments on my phone but I can turn it in today for the new model so I will have spent 750 on the phone, but then will receive a 400 turn in credit.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I 100% agree that the value is there. What I am getting at is there is a point of diminishing returns if you have one that still works and is relatively recent.

If that's how you want to spend your money, knock yourself out. My employer pays my cellphone bill, so I will probably upgrade as well. If they weren't, I'd rather pocket that extra $40/month.

Reactions: PPK96754

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Not when you think about all it does.. its def not just a phone. Its basically a mini laptop with a badass digital camera attached. How much is a good camera by itslef? At least a few hundred. Then add all the other stuff it does - games, navigation, calls, etc.

i have no problem paying a grand for something I use all day every day.(weather I use it all day is a good or bad thing is another topic) Not to mention with todays plans youre basically paying 30 bucks a month on a lease to own program. So you never actually pay 1000 for the phone itself.
a "mini-laptop" is useless for most of things i need a laptop for (eg Excel, Photoshop etc)....

and of course you're actually paying for it. you're just renting it.

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
I 100% agree that the value is there. What I am getting at is there is a point of diminishing returns if you have one that still works and is relatively recent.

If that's how you want to spend your money, knock yourself out. My employer pays my cellphone bill, so I will probably upgrade as well. If they weren't, I'd rather pocket that extra $40/month.
my employer also pays for mine and that's the only phone i have ever had - in fact, have never paid a cell phone bill in my life. but i'm taking early retirement next spring and will be shopping for a phone/plan for the first time ever. have been looking things over and i'm dreading it - with all the deals and terms and contracts etc etc , it has the same tip-toeing-through-a-minefield sensation that goes along with buying a new car.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
my employer also pays for mine and that's the only phone i have ever had - in fact, have never paid a cell phone bill in my life. but i'm taking early retirement next spring and will be shopping for a phone/plan for the first time ever. have been looking things over and i'm dreading it - with all the deals and terms and contracts etc etc , it has the same tip-toeing-through-a-minefield sensation that goes along with buying a new car.
This served me well for many years and low cost.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It's not that bad, since you aren't on the hook for nearly as much money.

What I found to be a scam is the insurance against breakage and equipment failure. I had mine go on the fritz and was basically unrepairable. When I took it in to Verizon, they offered to send me a refurb in 3-5 days as a replacement. This was during my peak season work wise when I literally cannot be without a phone. Worthless.

First trip to the Apple Store was pointless since I did not have apple care, but with the second they gave me a new phone.

Which is why the whole financing deal is a scam. You're basically renting, because by the time you pay it off, it's already going to sh!te. That's no accident.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
It's not that bad, since you aren't on the hook for nearly as much money.

What I found to be a scam is the insurance against breakage and equipment failure. I had mine go on the fritz and was basically unrepairable. When I took it in to Verizon, they offered to send me a refurb in 3-5 days as a replacement. This was during my peak season work wise when I literally cannot be without a phone. Worthless.

First trip to the Apple Store was pointless since I did not have apple care, but with the second they gave me a new phone.

Which is why the whole financing deal is a scam. You're basically renting, because by the time you pay it off, it's already going to sh!te. That's no accident.

Most insurance is a scam. I've probably payed well over 25,000 in auto insurance over the years and have never made a claim. No serious accidents and all sorts of small things like broken windows and stuff that aren't worth the deductible.

Reactions: Ifallalot and Aruka

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
Most insurance is a scam. I've probably payed well over 25,000 in auto insurance over the years and have never made a claim. No serious accidents and all sorts of small things like broken windows and stuff that aren't worth the deductible.
Car insurance, like all insurance, is a bet. You're betting you will wreck yor car, Geico/whoever is betting you won't. The problem, of course, is that when you win, you lose.

Reactions: PPK96754

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Think about how often your service provider offers you a “better deal” in the middle of your contract. They are relentless here.

Me no espeeky engrish. Click.

Also the pricks here pass on (sell) your number to third parties (insurance companies and the like), assholes that cold call your number trying to sell you something.

We’re very remote so living without some kind of communication is a non runner at my advanced age. But it wouldn’t be a game breaker to go back to a phone like keener posted. Still have one that I could reactivate.

I have an iPhone 6 right now. Had an iPhone 5 for two years and the battery crapped out. My son in law has had it for two years, got some kind of mexi deal on a replacement battery and good to go.

To me it’s like autocad years ago. 90% of the features you’re not gonna use.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
^ Yes! I got my 6s battery replaced at the Apple store for about $49 and it's like a new phone and lasts almost 2 days. It's in a LifeProof (Fre) case and I've gotten the free replacement whenever it gets torn up, so it also looks brand new.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
The Steve Jobs days of gigantic leaps in functionality and innovation are unfortunately gone.

It seems that most new iPhones have mainly gimmicky new features.

The only time I'd upgrade is if there's a feature that I can't leave without.
My desktop is a late 2013 Trashcan and I upgrade my MacBooks every 8 years or so.

Face recognition, longer battery life and bigger Xs screen were the last worthy iPhone upgrades. 11 is meh.

Like social media, smartphones are what you make them.
If you fill it with sh!t gimmicky apps that you have no use for, it will be useless, just like an Instagram feed following shitty accounts.
Complaining about either is silly, you've made it sh!t. Make it better!

My iphone makes my life way easier. If you like your Nokia, great.
Just leave people who have use for all features smartphone can offer alone. :bawling:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
My iPhone 8 which is less than a year old upgraded to iOs13 over the weekend. Today my battery drained about 30% more than it ever did before in a day at work and I hardly used it and had it plugged in to my car while I was driving mid-day. Fook You Apple.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
My iPhone 8 which is less than a year old upgraded to iOs13 over the weekend. Today my battery drained about 30% more than it ever did before in a day at work and I hardly used it and had it plugged in to my car while I was driving mid-day. Fook You Apple.
iOS 13 improved my phone

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah the battery life on my 8 all of a sudden plummeted a few months ago. I do like the advanced camera on the 11, i will probably upgrade. In my line of work i actually take a lot of photos, and the better they look, they better i look

Jul 22, 2020
California Woodside
Hmm, if to talk about me, I have an iPhone X, which I bought 2 years ago, when Xs was already released. That is how, I saved up some money because when Xs appered, iPhone X lost from his price, but as a product, it is similar to Xs. I am pleased with it, and I am not going to change it soon. I've already bought a new Xr for my wife, cause she dropped her Xs and broke it totally, happily, I found some guys from https://buybackboss.com/sell-broken-iphone/ which helped me sell it. And yes, till I won't broke my X, I won't change it for sure. Smarphones are cool, but if you are not too passionated about technology or cool features on them, believe me, you don't need the last model of Iphone.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Samsung Galaxy S5; the screen flickers and it crashes sometimes. I typically have to charge it at least once during the day, twice on a weekend day.

It's very useful when taking a dump, or on road trips to monitor traffic, weather, NDBC sites, and surflies cams.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The last iPhone I had (6?) was crashing constantly and needed to be restarted several times a day. The 4 did the same thing. And the funny thing is that I probably only used less than 1% of the features available. I was fine with a flipphone but got talked into getting a smartphone by a previous girlfriend. Bad road to go down. A bit upset with myself as I should have known better - it wasn't an accident that I coined the MAC acronym of Motherf*cker Always Crashes.

Back to a flip phone again. Naturally, it also crashes when trying to text but that's just the massive unreliability associated with digital technology. Aside from that, all I really want is to make calls, send an occasional text, and have an alarm to wake up in the morning. Everything else is just peripheral crap to waste time and salivate like Pavlov's dogs when the bell rings (feel free to use that analogy for FB/IG "likes").