Is it unethical to upgrade your iPhone?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
imagine if any other product did this?

people would burn sh!t down

granted, the support matrix gets really big really quick, but they should still at least
leave the thing in a usable state instead of artificially turning everything in to a toxic
brick every 4 years
MOAR TECHNOLOGY FASTER! I started with a brick Motorola in 1993 in Mexico City. The company paid, it was fvckin expensive. In a way it’s been a lifeline for me, there’s been a few situations...

But if it all went away tomorrow, meh, you know how to find me.

Reactions: the janitor

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
ha! I have an apple TV - actually 2 of them. Same thing for some of the apps - especially HBO - no longer supported and the new apple TV box is almost 200 bucks. I wound up spending about 650 on a 60" LG that has Apple TV included with airplay and everything. Doesnt have HBO yet but I use the PS4 for that.
Hmm weird . . . I bought one in 2018 and use it on a 2013/14 Sony TV. Use it for HBO, netflix, amazon, hulu, charter cable tv, etc. Never had any issues. Although I don't understand why HBO doesn't have trailers for most of their movies, WTF?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
imagine if any other product did this?

people would burn sh!t down

granted, the support matrix gets really big really quick, but they should still at least
leave the thing in a usable state instead of artificially turning everything in to a toxic
brick every 4 years
The real irony is that Apple had a counterculture virtue signaling aspect to it 2-3 decades ago, while Microsoft was this draconian company trying to monopolize and manipulate everything in their favor. Now Bill Gates is probably the greatest philanthropist the world has ever known (with or without vaccine brain control, or maybe that's just Bohter who has brain damage) and Apple is the big brother monster with horrible business practices. How times have changed!

Reactions: Mr Doof

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Hmm weird . . . I bought one in 2018 and use it on a 2013/14 Sony TV. Use it for HBO, netflix, amazon, hulu, charter cable tv, etc. Never had any issues. Although I don't understand why HBO doesn't have trailers for most of their movies, WTF?
Yea mine are both older than 2018. Im guess'ing I bought them around 2016 or so. Once HBO Max came, the HBO GO and NOW apps disappeared shortly after and my ATV's wont let me get MAX. It is now a useless little hockey puck on my furniture. Pretty hyped the Tv came with it built in though as it comes through 4k which my hockey pucks were not.

• Sad
Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Really? Sometimes they send someone by the house to let one know what’s happening. They use whatever suits their needs at a given time up to including the government net. Loads of extortion calls from guys locked up with access to burner phones.

Anyways, ham radio and CB are other ways to communicate a long distance.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The real irony is that Apple had a counterculture virtue signaling aspect to it 2-3 decades ago, while Microsoft was this draconian company trying to monopolize and manipulate everything in their favor. Now Bill Gates is probably the greatest philanthropist the world has ever known (with or without vaccine brain control, or maybe that's just Bohter who has brain damage) and Apple is the big brother monster with horrible business practices. How times have changed!
All of these tech moguls are bad people. Their philanthropies are often just for tax evasion and venture capital which gets them equity in companies they sponsor. Gates is a known d1ckface. So was Jobs.

They've essentially monopolized internet search, advertising, news, and the cellular infrastructure.

Have you all seen this?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
All of these tech moguls are bad people. Their philanthropies are often just for tax evasion and venture capital which gets them equity in companies they sponsor. Gates is a known d1ckface. So was Jobs.

They've essentially monopolized internet search, advertising, news, and the cellular infrastructure.

Have you all seen this?
If they wouldn't have, someone else would have.

Pine64, haven't seen it but there's been other attempts at similar projects. All failed.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
If they wouldn't have, someone else would have.

Pine64, haven't seen it but there's been other attempts at similar projects. All failed.
dude, it has a vibrator!!!

• Haha
Reactions: r32

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Looking at the Samsung S10+ now from an 8+ . S10+ has had the bugs rattled out, it's dropped some in price and would be a welcomed upgrade. Just need to pull the trigger.
I went from the 8 to the Note 10+. My girl has the 10+

I probably wouldn't get the Note if I did it again. The novelty of the stylus wore off after a few months and I think the 10+ is a more reasonable size. The Note is YUUUUGE.

Camera is great. Battery life is great. Etc. Etc.

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

Have you all seen this?
I can't believe I'm about to say it but I agree with PRCD on this one. These tech companies need to be broken up ASAP.

Oct 14, 2020
Not sure if its just me but I personally hate updating my phone. I did it many times and instead of getting better or having better features it just keeps getting slower than before. I tried not to do it but I am the type of person who doesn't like having constant reminders of something. Luckily recently I bought the new iphone 12 with the help of score88poker and hopefully I wouldn't have to update my phone for a while.

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Still using iPhone 5S. Only 7 generations old.

The only thing I would buy a new phone for is the camera. But I take very few photos these days. I used to take 1000s of photos but all they do is pile up on my phone and I'm the only one that ever sees them since I don't have social media.

But I noticed some of my apps finally stopped updating for this model, so now I will be forced to buy a new phone soon.

Oct 28, 2020
Chicago
It is unethical to upgrade your phone if it is an old model and it will die soon. So, I can say that if you have a new iphone, you won’t face such problems. I had an old iphone and I sold it after upgrading it to ios 13. It was a total failure. Thank God, now I have a new iphone that allows me upgrading it to the newest ios. Recently I crashed it, and I was looking for one of the best services here in Singapore to repair it. I am so happy I found them. I refer to the prices that were low and the good job they did.

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Luddism in the name of the environment is coming
But modern Western society is completely off the fucking rails with consumerism. It is a sickness. People need to step back and take a look at themselves from the outside. Our lives are becoming more and more complex and its making us crazy. (Rant over...I'm not crazy...he, he!)

Reactions: PRCD