If your car is stolen while surfing an you have one of those little lock boxes

Feb 14, 2019
Most new cars that have a fob also come with a general old school key that can be used for the door locks. it's either integrated in the fob or it's an actual separate key that comes with the car. The trick now is to find a wet suit that still comes with a key pocket or a zipper pouch to stash the key.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
I meant the insurance company. How did they know he had a freaking lockbox? did he tell them? They surveyed camera feed?
One thing I like about Ford F-150s is the code access they have on the door. Wish every manufacture would offer something similar.
When I picked up my Ford Transit van it only had that keypad on the driver's door. I was like, "It's not a pickup truck that you always hop in the driver's seat. It's a van, you always walk up to the right side where the sliding door is." They made me pay $75 for a second keypad.
However, this article implies that using a keypad and leaving my key in the vehicle voids any insurance coverage. Only way to win is not have insurance.

Last edited:

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
K, this seems like a good place for this story.

About 2 years ago, lunch patrol session at local point, got out of the water to find the tumbler in my lock box had completely disengaged from the lock mechanism, meaning the numbers spun, but it was not unlocking the box.

Fine, I'll go find a stick to pry it open. No luck.
Fine, I'll go ask that maintenance guy to borrow a screwdriver. Now I have a bloody hand (wet, slippery hands + forcing a screwdriver) and still no luck.
Fine, I'll go find a rock and smash the box. It was hanging from the chassis of the car, so any attempt to smash it just bounced it off the metal. No damage at all.

Finally, I carried over a small boulder, placed it under the car, behind the lock box, got a 2 fist sized rock and spent 5 minuted just fcking pounding on the thing.

And that's how I ended up 45 minutes late to work, covered in dirt, in a wetsuit, lying in a parking lot, basically under my car, with blood dripping from both hands (2nd cut from all the rock smashing).

On one hand, I'd buy that box again for durability. But, it stopped working, so, no.
Did the boulder/rock combo eventually do the trick?!

RayG

Nep status
Dec 3, 2002
Astoria, NY USA
$5 waterproof passport pouch around the neck and a valet key. Valet key may still have electronic tag in it, but it's cheaper to replace than the normal key with all the doodad buttons on it.

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
$5 waterproof passport pouch around the neck and a valet key. Valet key may still have electronic tag in it, but it's cheaper to replace than the normal key with all the doodad buttons on it.
this is what i do as well

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Why:foreheadslap:?
Wetsuits, trunks, and even leashes have pockets for keys.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
Key is already hidden even before I get to the beach and park. What's sketchy is after I get out of the water and retrieve it, and someone is watching. Then I'm screwed if that guy remembers me and my car the next time.

Reactions: afoaf

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Most of my surfs are in this private condo where my good buddy's family own a house. So we usually leave the keys at the security cabin by the beach.

The spot is opened to the public, but they only get entrance after 7am and it's controlled, so we usually get to surf with just the home owners until 7:20ish when the crowd begins to slowly creep in. It's good stuff getting a little over an hour of uncrowded surf, and it's a good spot too. Gotta get there early!

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I meant the insurance company. How did they know he had a freaking lockbox? did he tell them? They surveyed camera feed?
This is the real lesson.

Subaru has some kinda way to deactivate and lock the key fob in the car while surfing, but it's really confusing and requires setting a Morse code type thing from the back hatch I forgot how to do it. However, the key fob is still in the car, so I guess it's useless against an insurance claim?

I use a Masterlock brand hide-key thing. Those any good?

Edit: NM, saw the vid above.

One thing I like about Ford F-150s is the code access they have on the door. Wish every manufacture would offer something similar.
Does the truck have a fob? If so, still, what do you do with it when surfing?

Last edited: