If you had one concert to back in time to...

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
The Clash and English Beat. Golden Hall , San Diego early 80s for the best show. Late 80s Steel Pulse opening for Sting at Southwestern College for the best Barcelona gal I was with at the time. And for my band, one new year’s night we were playing at a bar on the 101 , literally down the hill from my house (rolled my amp down there), and we always had 1 or 2 covers to mix in the set and that night right before midnight we covered in our own way “Stand by me” and everyone was drunk, and our singer gave his greatest vocal performance ever and I did a lead that I could never do again and we broke it down slowly as the clock struck midnight and everyone was screaming and yelling and making out. Good memories!

Jan 4, 2009
San Diego
12/10/78
They were unbelievable. 3 or 4 rows from the front.
Nonstop joints being passed aroundView attachment 131393
I saw them on Oahu at Blaisdell. I had really good tickets, I think they cost around 10 bucks. I just found out Led Zeppelin played at Blaisdell but I dont remember that and I definitely would have gone. Thank god I saw Zeppelin in San Diego which was probably the best concert I've ever been too. One concert I would die for would have been any Bob Marley. concert, preferably in Jamaica. A great concert I went to was at University of Hawaii Manoa student center in 1978. A new band called The Police were playing there, I had just bought Outlandos d"Amour album. There was like 100 people there, I was blown away.

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
went to woodstock, and altamont, too. mom was a hippie, uncle was a part of the, ahem, "security" at altamont. mom thought i should be free to discover what i liked. in actuality, i hated most it live. first real concert was leon russel and joe cocker mad dogs and englishmen tour. harry nilsson and friends took me and mom. i saw a lot of zappa and beefheart as a kid. we lived across the street for a year from zappa. i was still doing the work i can't to this day shake. i saw the ramones in 76, talking heads, blondie, johnny thunders, richard hell, teklevision, etc... in nyc after that. saw prince open for the stones and get booed off stage. i would have loved to have seen rudimentary peni, but i never did. seen too much, i sometimes think. i was a lucky disturbed little kid.

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
#1- Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Club Lingerie, Hollywood, 1980's. At the time they were just the opening act for the Circle Jerks playing in a small club, but their set was mind blowing. They did some nasty sh!t, including a pee pee fountain when they first came on stage that left everyone's jaw on the ground. WTF? Then went on to absolutely rock the joint. It was cool to see them is such a small venure. Saw them again in a big arena and it sucked.
Oh man, they played our little community center when nobody knew who they were, came out with socks on their dicks and THAT had never been seen before in little old Redway...classic!
Another one I'd like to see again was the time I left 14'@14secs to go see Danny Elfman's little Oingo Boingo show at Great America in San Jose. Those guys were fantastic, still a major fan.

Reactions: One-Off

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
bobby took a shine to my bros bf at pauly 02-21-1982. whisked him out of the front row and he was gone. later said he wound up at a hotel after party with weir and belushi among others.

things went south for bob when he found out HE was 17. apparently belushi wasnt as concerned and allowed a little "massage" (his word) before they called HIM a cab.

went completely off the rails for john a few weeks later

uhhh, which mountain mutherfookker?

and 9-03-1983 talking heads at the sbcb. perfect warm sept evening in sb. heads were pumping. chicks were grooving. 20 yrs old and put me in the groundhog day machine. i wanna do it again and again
Fauxed that Bobbie story for ya!

:shameonyou::dancing::shameonyou:

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Funny how so many bands mentioned here, played for free at UCSD, Friday afternoon TGIF parties.
Chili Peppers, Fishbone, Untouchables, Steel Pulse, and more

Bet concert ever? We are being too provincial. Imagine what it was like to bee see Mozart or Bethoven in their primes. Think of the concerts put on for Caeser.

For me, best ever was Judas Priest at the Starwood in Hollywood. Or perhaps the kids across the street, they had a party, one kid on guitar, one on drums. This guy was channeling Hendrix, Page and Michael Shenker at the same time, sounded gnar enough for me to crash the party and watch.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Caesar?

The technical bravado would be off the charts. I've been to a few classical concerts. My tip, at least for LA and the Disney Concert Hall, get the "cheap" behind the orchestra. You actually see more. Maybe the sound is not as ideal, but for someone with two obstructed surfer's ears it doesn't matter much.

I like how this visualizes the complexity.

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
In ‘81, I couldn’t come up with $50 for tickets to Pink Floyd’s the wall tour show at Nassau coliseum

yeah, fvck, still pissed off at myself for that one
I’d go back right there

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
missed zz top opening for the stones at the HIC early 70's friend who went said top had a live buffalo onstage made up for that drinkin way too much malt liquor at a mountain show at the shell

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
OK, it's hard to say which kid you love the most.
The best concert at the SB Bowl to this day that I remember (the key words) was the Eurethmics (sp?) and Howard Jones circa '84?.
Going to Lyle Lovette and his Large Band and Chris Issack next week, should be a good one.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Here's a good story
Went down to Hell-A for a Who/Clash/T-bone Burnett concert at the Colloseum.
Bought a ticket from a scalper and got spot checked, and sure as sh!t, my ticket was counerfeit. FVCK!!!
No concert for you!
My friend and his girlfriend got in just in front of me with the same bogus tickets.
Anyways, I'm walking away to go back to the car and this guy comes up to me and says he's got some tickets for $20
Sure, sounds good to me.
I did, however, ask him to come to the gate to make sure it was up-and-up.
Goddammit! The ticket was bogus. Security was right there and I demanded my $20 back and the guy had to give it to me.
Soooo.... here I am again, walking back to the car thinking, I'll be lucky to get there without being mugged and robbed.
Once more, someone who could see I was bummed came up to me and asked if I needed a ticket.
I spilled my guts out about what had gone down thus far and told him, thanks but no thanks.
He told me the ticket was legit and to come along.
Turns out he was a DJ at KMET (no, not Paraquat Kelly) and I got in for FREE!
Totally RAD concert :)

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Oh man, they played our little community center when nobody knew who they were, came out with socks on their dicks and THAT had never been seen before in little old Redway...classic!
Another one I'd like to see again was the time I left 14'@14secs to go see Danny Elfman's little Oingo Boingo show at Great America in San Jose. Those guys were fantastic, still a major fan.
Ohhh, man!
RHCP with socks on their dicks! THAT, my friend, was when they were on top of it!
These days, ummmm, I call them the luke-warm bell peppers.
Did see Oingo Boingo at the Irvine Meadows for Halloween Night. OUTSTANDING!

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I mean, fuck, it can't hang with the concerts you guys above have been naming but Guns and Roses/Metallica at Coliseum in 1989 would have been golden. Only 12 so no way to go but I would have been all over that sh!t. Yeah, in LA but up in boonies, not like there was a bus anywhere close by so on long lockdown. Made up for it in a small way I suppose.

One that always burned was missing Jane's Addiction play in their true heyday. But they are still on tour (pending Dave Navarro's covid health) and scored insane tickets for the wifey and I in November, and been really psyched about that.

I don't know why actually but I have lagged on concert scene. Easy excuse when I was <18 since access was a major issue but after that, sure many fun bar bands, some cool arena shows, and definitely the Tabularasa shows at Casa de Groovn and at La Fonda, but I could have seen more. Meh. When you get down to it, was hard to beat those Tabularasa shows - so much fucking fun.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The best concert at the SB Bowl to this day that I remember (the key words) was the Eurethmics (sp?) and Howard Jones circa '84?.
Going to Lyle Lovette and his Large Band and Chris Issack next week, should be a good one.
Saw Edie brickell, and then Lovett and his very large band, open up for Paul Simon back when he was still doing his “back at the Ranch” concerts on a horse ranch in Montauk. Not saying any of them are my favorite acts, I do listen to plenty of Paul Simon, but being a drunk and stoned teenager watching the show from a hill side pasture with maybe a couple thousand people. Jimmy buffet came out one year for a 3 song acoustic encore with Paul.

Back on topic, I would time travel most readily for a Hendrix show, maybe Alice In Chains unplugged…tough call, many legendary shows have gone down, and I like that idea someone mentioned about going further back in time to truly momentous periods in music history.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icu812 and keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I went to Chris Issack with hunnybunny at Santa Barbara Bowl back around 2003.
She had tix but no one to go with so she floated it out here on the erBB.
I took her up on it so this was a blind meet up that turned out pretty awesome.
Picked her up in L.A. and then we went to Casa Blancas on lower State Street for a warm up.
Then had dinner at Paradise Cafe on Anacapa which was great. We had Mojitos.

Then off to the show.
It was a great venue and concert and an awesome night.
Got my camera confiscated by security for this selfie.

Then collected my camera on the way out and stopped for some coffee at Peabody's in Montecito before hitting the road home to L.A. and then to O.C.
I was a gentleman. :shameonyou:
One of those nights and experiences that you never forget for so many reasons.
Love and miss you hunnybunny!

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
How was Tom Petty live?

He didn’t die til I was almost 40 but I didn’t get into him past the radio staples til a couple years before he died. Guess I had to mature into him and the Heartbreakers

The concerts I’ve watched on YouTube and live cuts I’ve heard are awesome

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
I went to Chris Issack with hunnybunny at Santa Barbara Bowl back around 2003.
She had tix but no one to go with so she floated it out here on the erBB.
I took her up on it so this was a blind meet up that turned out pretty awesome.
Picked her up in L.A. and then we went to Casa Blancas on lower State Street for a warm up.
Then had dinner at Paradise Cafe on Anacapa which was great. We had Mojitos.

Then off to the show.
It was a great venue and concert and an awesome night.
Got my camera confiscated by security for this selfie.

Then collected my camera on the way out and stopped for some coffee at Peabody's in Montecito before hitting the road home to L.A. and then to O.C.
I was a gentleman. :shameonyou:
One of those nights and experiences that you never forget for so many reasons.
Love and miss you hunnybunny!
Good gawd Mr. Keen!
Casa Blanca, Peabody's, Paradise!
Casa Blanca after 2am for after hours beers after getting off from the Enterprise.
Peabody's for 2 for 1 cocktails on Friday afternoon.
Paradise for Bloody Mary's before getting on the Enterprise Dodger Bus.
Paradise is now once again called the La Paloma.
Casa Blanca is long gone, Peabody's is now a sheshe way too expensive bar/eatery.
BTW, I saw SRV at the Savoy Theater after a concert at the Bowl where he showed up and played a few songs....
I had front-row lawn seats where he literally brought me to tears.
Three weeks later, he died in a helicopter crash :(

Reactions: keenfish

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
In the 70s they had some big shows at the old Balboa Staduim. I recall tickets were around 8 bucks (about $42 in 2022 dollars), open seating.

Chicago, Santana, and Honk.
Faces w/Rod Stewart, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Fleetwood Mac, and Loggins and Messina.
Beach Boys and Jesse Colin Young (good date show).
Eagles, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt.
Allman Bros, Outlaws, Marshall Tucker.

One instance where the good old days were pretty good.

Reactions: potato-nator