If I were a rich Canadian

Aug 9, 2015
Not true. Don’t need a boat. Although would be nice. I live on Vancouver island. Get plenty of solo sessions or just a couple people in head high glassy perfect waves. Takes years of learning tides, winds, swell direction, etc. You need to be willing to hike in the pissing rain and mud. It’s not a surf trip destination to score good surf. You need to live here and put in the time. World class when it’s on. Rarely get better waves on trips and I take them yearly. The popular spots are jam packed anytime the surf forecast is looking extra good.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Not true. Don’t need a boat. Although would be nice. I live on Vancouver island. Get plenty of solo sessions or just a couple people in head high glassy perfect waves. Takes years of learning tides, winds, swell direction, etc. You need to be willing to hike in the pissing rain and mud. It’s not a surf trip destination to score good surf. You need to live here and put in the time. World class when it’s on. Rarely get better waves on trips and I take them yearly. The popular spots are jam packed anytime the surf forecast is looking extra good.
I guess its the trade-off of time vs. chance of scoring for the hike-in spots. Most of the time I wouldn't have the time to hike into spots, even though I know there would be a good chance of them working.

Having a boat in Tofino would be so so good though. Lots of good spots that have no road access

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
When was the last time you were there? If there surf conditions are decent, no where is uncrowded in the Canadian west anymore. The window of good surf can be pretty short at most spots. If the surf is poor then yes they are not crowded at all.
Like a decade ago. :shrug: