I need a side hustle

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
Why does it he hate it? The people he works with? The company? They seem to make really good bank.
dealing with customers. they get a lot of methadone patients and they get super eggy. and customers in general seem to be a real PITA. they've burned through several managers since he's been there. every time he starts talking about it you can see the rage building and he stops talking about it.

yeah, being a pharmacist is a really boring job too. they have one of the highest suicide rates by profession.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
call me an elitist (it's ok, i call myself that all the time) but i worked a LOT of service and restaurant jobs as a teenager/college kid- i would have a hard time going back as an adult

Reactions: mundus

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
In the same boat skull. I'm selling off family antiques and surfboards right now, and thinking of babysitting on the weekends, but not sure how that will be received as a 30+ year old dude.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
call me an elitist (it's ok, i call myself that all the time) but i worked a LOT of service and restaurant jobs as a teenager/college kid- i would have a hard time going back as an adult
If your body can hold up, the trades/labor beat any retail or restaurant work except maybe fine dining where at least you can make a few bucks

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
While at university, for three months, I participated in a vitamin B deficiency study.

Got $50 a week and three meals a day and could not eat/drink (except water) outside of the experiment.

Before the experiment, I lied on the questionnaire (by giving myself extra calories in the form of lunch).

I was thinking, "Ah-had, more food, no buying food or having to wash dishes, the roomie has to clean the kitchen alone, and an extra $50 a week!"

Experiment starts with blood, urine, stool tests. (hmmm, weekly now for three months...missed that in the fine print).

Lost weight, got extra irritable, and grew to despise artificial foods, and starting dreaming of food, which was totally new to me.

Results of the study were.....oh, I was so fed up with it all by the time it was over that I never even bothered to read the the doctoral study.

As for the extra money, I maybe have splurged on a good rubber for the motorbike.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Could be an ok walking-around-money/retirement gig to do a lunch or happy hour bartender shift a few times a week in a resort area. Shoot the sh!t and walk home with some tips. Something to break up the monotony.

Dinner/closing shifts would be a hard pass, too old for that shiat.

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah there is a dignity and satisfaction to skilled trades, and the money is solid if not white collar solid. The only problem is i am HIGHLY unskilled in the trades :ROFLMAO:

I have some framed surf shots and nature pics to hang, and I know how to hang stuff, but I've still been putting it off for several days. And that's nothing more than a little bit of measuring and eyeballing and hammer tapping. I'm not even sure i can find the little nails:foreheadslap:

In a couple years, once the dust has settled and I have a "boom year" I need to devlop my Iguana property, into a true income maker. Don Subway de la Iguana can retire into genteel tropical surf and yoga vacation hosting. Que sueno es eso :cool:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The problem with a lot of the ideas above is that you are still selling your time for money. This is caveman thinking. Your time is the only asset that none of us will ever get back and that we all lose going forward.

Don't trade hours for dollars. Find ways to make your dollars make you dollars :beer:

Reactions: Subway

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Could be an ok walking-around-money/retirement gig to do a lunch or happy hour bartender shift a few times a week in a resort area. Shoot the sh!t and walk home with some tips. Something to break up the monotony.

Dinner/closing shifts would be a hard pass, too old for that shiat.
Yeah, my other side hustle is one or two nights a week in a restaurant. It's great pay. Once or twice a week getting home at midnight is OK. I told them I won't do more than two shifts a week. A full time server (32 hours) here could make $6k/mo or more. Not great by any means, but not bad if you're young with housemates.

BUT, with the strikes things are slower. I'm always the first one cut, and I haven't worked in three weeks, which is fine.

Reactions: grapedrink

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
The problem with a lot of the ideas above is that you are still selling your time for money. This is caveman thinking. Your time is the only asset that none of us will ever get back and that we all lose going forward.

Don't trade hours for dollars. Find ways to make your dollars make you dollars :beer:
Gotta have dollars to get your dollars to make you more dollars. Can't think of a way to produce dollars out of thin air without investing your time.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
When I was broke and in start up mode for a business 12+ years ago, I used to flip boards on Craigslist. Find listings with no photos or bad photos and email/call them, also look in general listings. Only buy popular name brand shortboards (ie. Mayhem, CI, etc). Shortboards only, no guns or weird boards. Only clear boards or professional airbrush / resin work, or something you can sand off. Low ball them hard. Get the board, fix It up, clean off the wax, put on a new cheap pad, cheap fins if needed. Take great photos. Relist for $100-200+ profit. Was doing 2 a week as a side hustle.

With FB marketplace now, could be even better with flipping from Craigslist to FB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sauce and brukuns