I need a side hustle

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yeah even though i only commute to midtown 3x a week now (and for the rest of my career- even our CEO has stopped making noise about a 5 day in office week ever again) my career is still very "New York based".

Plenty of GM's have tried to entice me away from NYC to their markets, including SF, Miami, even briefly discussed San Diego, but my billing would take a big hit if i moved to any of those cities, and my cost of living wouldn't really change. I'm only this successful IN New York, if that makes sense. I would make a fine living in any of our other big markets, but i wouldn't make nearly what i make in NYC.

And really- NY is a grind, but it's a pretty amazing place to live. And Long Beach is a special little bubble for sure.
Speaking of successful IN New York....

Fuck making $250, can you hit .250? Asking for a friend that's 4 games above .500 yet in deadass last. Commute would be to Highbridge/Concourse area in The Bronx; no work from home option.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I don't think you know what "relatively modest" means dog

$250K is plenty even in NY unless you're profligate (most people are ie. making $200K+ and having a monthly car cost outside of insurance/gas)
How much of the $250k do you take home after taxes and what is a month mortgage on Long Island now?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
let's see. the feds take 39%, state takes another 10%. Ouch.

decent but not outrageous 2000 sq ft single family home in Long beach is easily $850-1 mil now. So, figure 7k a month? More?

Long Beach is still sort of middle of the road expensive. there are suburban zip codes nearby that are FAR pricier. Old Westbury, Garden City, many of the north shore communities, that same 2000 sq ft home might be 2 mil. a larger house on a private acre or two will quickly get into the several million dollar range

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA

decent but not outrageous 2000 sq ft single family home in Long beach is easily $850-1 mil now. So, figure 7k a month? More?

Long Beach is still sort of middle of the road expensive. there are suburban zip codes nearby that are FAR pricier. Old Westbury, Garden City, many of the north shore communities, that same 2000 sq ft home might be 2 mil. a larger house on a private acre or two will quickly get into the several million dollar range
39%? You'll be getting a big refund. Fed taxes on $250K for 2023 for a single person come out to 23.8%.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I don't think you know what "relatively modest" means dog

$250K is plenty even in NY unless you're profligate (most people are ie. making $200K+ and having a monthly car cost outside of insurance/gas)
I won't deny this. I'm hardly a shining example of frugality

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
39%? You'll be getting a big refund. Fed taxes on $250K for 2023 for a single person come out to 23.8%.
I don't really know, i have an attorney handle that stuff. I haven't gotten a federal refund in years. But i think it also has something to do with how much is withheld from draw checks versus commission checks.

I DO get a decent STATE refund every year.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
That's not what I asked. I asked how much you're taking home counting social security, Medicare, federal and state taxes, including property taxes. Gross vs. net.

I calculated about 40% of my gross pay was going out to taxes of one form or another.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
That's not what I asked. I asked how much you're taking home counting social security, Medicare, federal and state taxes, including property taxes. Gross vs. net.
And I wasn't responding to you :monkey:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
That sounds a little bit high for effective rate but if you back of the napkin federal, state, and city, you're going to come up with something pretty high.

To address the math, I'd put $250 gross to be $165ish post-Fed/State/City.

$165k take home in most B/C cities and towns is a very, very comfy pile. In NY, SF, LA, DC, and I'd assume Boston, you're not really all that.

Asterisk Miami/FLL/Palm Beach. $165k is all that earnings-wise, but everyone's leveraged and indebted six ways to Sunday. The financial situation there is like being caught inside with a bunch of people on bigger boards. You're struggling to keep up....until one thing goes wrong and it's time to duck dive. You surface and there's people tumbling backwards in the soup. When the set is done they're inside and you're stroking in the green out the back.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Shark snacks is speaking truthiness

f-ing NYC has their OWN 4% income tax. I saved myself several grand just by moving out of Brooklyn 9 years ago (but added to my commuting and vehicle costs)

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Shark snacks is speaking truthiness

f-ing NYC has their OWN 4% income tax. I saved myself several grand just by moving out of Brooklyn 9 years ago (but added to my commuting and vehicle costs)
It's always "Heads they win/tails you lose." I am extremely frugal and every year find less in my take-home pay or higher expenses.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
dealing with customers. they get a lot of methadone patients and they get super eggy. and customers in general seem to be a real PITA. they've burned through several managers since he's been there. every time he starts talking about it you can see the rage building and he stops talking about it.

yeah, being a pharmacist is a really boring job too. they have one of the highest suicide rates by profession.
Fuck man what a mess

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
For real, how did we let this happen? Taxed when you receive it, when you move it, when you spend it, when you want to keep the thing you spent it on, when you sell the thing you spent it on...
Welcome to America!

I pretty much worked around surfing until I was 25, got a real job and got married. The wife lasted 3 years but by that time I figured out that if I wanted to coast after 40 there was going to be some sacrifices involved and living walking distance to surf was one of them. Two weeks twice a year was surfing, the rest lots of overtime. I beat my 40 y/o goal by a few months based on living on the equivalent of social security. Made a few deals, worked overseas to make enough money to buy some property and never looked back. My wife was a school teacher, they make jackshit. Somehow we made it through, kids and all and I got to surf whenever I wanted. My wife knew that was gonna happen before the first time I saw her disrobed. We have everything we need, don’t owe anyone nuthin, can help the kids when they need it, got it covered.

I can see doing the hustle in the 808, there’s good surf ffs. The continental USA, flat fogetaboutit.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah I work hard and my job is stressful but life here is made much more fun with sufficient money to live well at home, and travel often-ish. I wouldn’t want to be poor in the northeast (or anywhere, but; this region is way more fun with disposable income)

that said if I can make Nicaragua a reliable earner, and then rent my Long Beach home every summer, I’m eyeballing 3rd world oceanfront early “retirement”. Maybe in a decade

Reactions: grapedrink

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Self employed tax is brutal.

Pre Covid i had a pretty nice run for about 30 months. In 2019 I wrote a check to the Federal IRS for $43K which is fuuuucking insane. I incorporated in 2019. If you’re self employed out there, please incorporate.

• Wow
Reactions: bird.LA and PRCD

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hustling in the 808 here. It’s a grind but I take my son to the beach almost everyday and I surf 2-5 times a week. I dont ever complain about the cost of living. Not like it’s much cheaper in coastal CA anyway.