I need a new car. Help me.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Mr Doof said:
Anyway, I've been looking for a new car for the last three years and slowly ruling things out due to lack of headspace when I sit in the driver's seat.
My grandparents gave me a babied Infiniti J30t a few years back. Great car (on dry pavement) except that it fit people 6'2" or less.

I'm similarly infuriated every time a review site suggests I get a Miata.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Mr Doof said:
Anyway, I've been looking for a new car for the last three years and slowly ruling things out due to lack of headspace when I sit in the driver's seat.
new Subaru Foresters have crazy amount of headspace for the small SUV class. had that problem and legroom with the CRV. not the Forester.

Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:
My girlfriend has a CRV. I hate driving it - weird sight lines
was totally blown away when I first test drove my Forester and the open windshield with huge viewable space.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
stu dog said:
Mr Doof said:
new Subaru Foresters have crazy amount of headspace for the small SUV class. had that problem and legroom with the CRV. not the Forester.

Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:
was totally blown away when I first test drove my Forester and the open windshield with huge viewable space.
Foresters aren't that expensive. Can you fit a 9'0" inside with the seats folded down?

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
I bought a 2012 Forester back in January. I really like it, only complaint is the gas mileage is low 20s in the city. I've only gotten upper 20s into 30s on road trips to the middle of nowhere with flat driving. Only have driven it int he mountains once, did well in snow--of course, but had to put chains on it to get it down an icy driveway.

But just bought a 9'6" longboard the other day. I don't have straps/racks so I just kept the back seats up, leaned the passenger seat back, the board's nose went all the way to the windshield and rested on the dash (passenger side) and it fit diagonally in the car.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:
stu dog said:
Mr Doof said:

Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:
Foresters aren't that expensive. Can you fit a 9'0" inside with the seats folded down?
9'2" inside with the back seats folded down & front passenger partially folded down with headrest removed. with a 9.5" fin too sticking up. and few extra inches to spare. that's if I'm too lazy to put on my rackpads and strap it to the roof.

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Also, I think the head gasket issue has been resolved with 2011 or 2012 and newer. If you do buy used, just look up oil consumption issues if you buy around 2009-2013.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:
I'm similarly infuriated every time a review site suggests I get a Miata.
I bummed out sweetie-pie when I sat in one and said, "If I take out a few vertebrae, I might have 1/2 inch space between m skull and the top."

She sighed and said, "Fine..what is next?"

The look for the small urban car goes on....

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
tacos said:
I bought a 2012 Forester back in January. I really like it, only complaint is the gas mileage is low 20s in the city. I've only gotten upper 20s into 30s on road trips to the middle of nowhere with flat driving.
Yeah, the all-wheel drive, all the time, slurps the gas.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I have the 3rd generation prius. Standard one. If you're mostly by yourself then it's awesome. Fit's a bunch of boards. 9'6" will fit inside or so I've heard. I don't like the looks of the new one personally. If you're buying for MPG then the standard one beats the Prius V. I too drive 30k a year and fought getting a prius for a long time. It's great for work. Sort of small for putting two car seats in the back now.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:
Driving my rental Nissan Sentra has made me appreciate the Camry a lot more. I catch myself thinking "wow, this thing is really zippy/faster than the Camry!" and look down to realize I'm going 45 instead of 80. My old, crusted-shock having, beat-to-sh!t Camry is just that much smoother at speed.
Camry's are great. That's what my girl drives. '06 I think. So plush compared to the Accord's and Civic's I grew up driving.

I wish they made a hatch/wagon version of the Camry.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Aruka said:
Once, I bought a 1990 camry wagon. Low mileage. I had all these dreams of having a solid and reliable car, but a freaking wagon!

Turned out to be a lemon. Odometer tampering, bad wiring, and a broken thermostat (which I only discovered when it overheated :banghead:)

Sep 2, 2015
Up and Under
sd_101 said:
Taco or Tundra. Taco seat/pedals/steering wheel position is car like.Tundra is upright and truck like.

6'1 with a Taco. They don't depreciate, which is pretty cool.

Subaru is overrated unless you're hitting the snow. Then, they rule. Lot of friends with Impreza's. Cheap interior, imo.

Wasn't a big fan of the loaner 4-banger Camery. Floored it everywhere for 3 days straight. Nothing broke, however.
Agreed on all points, the Tundra is big but can fit everything you need.

Every Subaru is 4WD so unless you're gunna be stuck in the sand or snow, I'd pass on that.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I get an avg of 30 in my Lezburu and would pick it 10/10 times over our Prius V

Subaru reliabilty is just under Honda and Toyota

If you don't want a Subie or a Toyota truck look into a Rav or a Venza. A Highlander or 4Runnner will get MPGs like the Taco trucks

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
stu dog said:
Mr Doof said:

Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:
They feel like they sit high like a truck too. Love it

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Boneroni said:
Aruka said:
Once, I bought a 1990 camry wagon. Low mileage. I had all these dreams of having a solid and reliable car, but a freaking wagon!

Turned out to be a lemon. Odometer tampering, bad wiring, and a broken thermostat (which I only discovered when it overheated :banghead:)
Venza is basically a Camry wagon

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I wonder why no one has mentioned a Hyundai. Deb bought a 2002, the cheapest one then, the Accent. Small, efficient, great gas milage. 40 MPG. Plugs, new set of wires a few times and oil changes. Now I understand that it doesn't fit the criteria that the OP has needs for but the Hyundai has preformed well over the years with little maintenance if at all. NO Hyundai owners here it seems.

My old red taco was a Winner!! Kept on chugging till a wee bit over 200,000. Rust got the front windshield post and started leaking real bad, but the engine and trannie kept turning.

Now my 4x4 2003 V10 E350 Ford 15 pax van is a beast and I live with the 10 MPG just because it's been a dream of mine to own one. $500.00 on an "Uncle" deal out the door with the papers. 62,000 miles when I got it. T'was just used to shuttle people around. Big dent in the right rear quater panel. Everything fits in the van! Longboards, shortboards, Lis fish, SUP, 4x4 quad runner and camping gear.

But, this Forum has always seemed to sort things out for folks here.
And that's the beauty, of the erBB.
Hope you get the results that ya need!! :cheers:

Sep 2, 2015
Up and Under
ifallalot said:
I get an avg of 30 in my Lezburu and would pick it 10/10 times over our Prius V

Subaru reliabilty is just under Honda and Toyota

If you don't want a Subie or a Toyota truck look into a Rav or a Venza. A Highlander or 4Runnner will get MPGs like the Taco trucks
I've got an old 1999 4Runner and absolutely love it. I needs tuning every now and then but can do the job on carrying my boards to the beach.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Mr Doof said:
That reminds me, we're going to be selling sweeti-pie's 1993 4Runner sooner or later....
Does it need any major maintenance or is it in good working condition?