I need a new car. Help me.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
We don't use it nearly as much as we used to. I think it has 175K on the dial. First 100K mostly highway miles. Just tuned it up, new power steering pump and hoses, AC fix a year ago, just passed smog, now waiting for registration renewal to arrive.

Since it is often parked (inside) and driven once a month for the last two years and only taken on summer vacations into the Sierra, a funny problem has developed: the speedo doesn't work properly, and the miles driven doesn't go up. After about 50 miles of steady driving, suddenly the speedo will start working again and remain working until we park it back in the garage and don't use it for another month.

Also, during the last tune-up three months ago, they overfilled the crankcase by a quart (which I then drained out) but this caused the check engine light to turn on and off. Every time I turn off the engine, light goes out, every time I stomp on the gas going up hill, light comes on (no loss of power or change to vehicle feel). Took it back three times to get this cleared up, but they can never get the light to come on (because the don't replicate what "needs" to be done).

The biggest problem is that the V6 drinks gas. 18 mph highway at 65 mph in High2. Love the Low4 for the Death Valley steep, lumpy, rocky,and snowy roads...like driving a tank. High4 in snow is good.

Bodywork fair, inside is great for 23yr old car.

I'm not selling it, she is, and she doesn't have a price yet.

Still interested?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:
Requirements:

used, just for cost purposes. I'd like to spend $20K or less.
reliable as fuck/zero maintenance
decent or better gas mileage
can handle Northern California surf/dive exploration, including driving in nasty rain and down dirt tracks. My Camrys have handled this fine with FWD and 5.4" of ground clearance.
Can fit at least 2 boards inside up to 9'0" gun, or at least 8'0 gun
can handle roof racks

ideas:

Subaru, like everyone else here, but their reliability is suspect compared to...
Toyotas.

RAV4/hybrid?
another Camry/Camry hybrid?
Prius? -- Does anybody own a Prius and put boards in it? This is kind of where I'm leaning at this point as they appear to be very similar to the Camry but with 50 mpg.
Highlander hybrid?

...or... option two...

buy one Prius for normal driving and a cheap 4x4 truck for coastal explorations.

Thoughts?
Those are all crap cars. Get an Audi.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
:roflmao:

Horrible value retention and it falls apart after 100k? Good advice. Maybe a BMW is your next suggestion?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Mr Doof said:
Which Audi?

Not the A4, I hope.
:roflmao:

Dad just got a 2012. He likes it and it seems pretty nice to me at a glance, other than the black car/black leather in Central Florida.

Planning on selling the TrailBlazer and snaking his old 2010 Altima coupe. It's a little small at a glance, but it's 3 years newer and has 80k fewer miles.

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
gf nabbed a miata a few months ago. sometimes i borrow the chick-gocart for errands, but i take her crystal heart swinging off the rear-view mirror first.