I love a Good "Good Book" thread

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Just finished reading Vineland by Thomas Pynchon. Picked it up for free at kids' school book swap.

Damn good read. Similarities to Gravity's Rainbow the way characters come and go, along with abject randomness. But different in the way that it flowed and it flowed hard. Serious stream-of-consciousness going on which completely immersed you as the pages turned - high compliment. But also, you're reading through it and thinking ok back up back up wtf did I just read? Just so goddamn weird. Took a longer time to read than I would have thought as I kept flipping back pages at certain points.

And I swear Tarantino took parts from this book for Kill Bill. Holy sh!t I don't even know where to begin. :roflmao:

Pynchon must be one weird dude to come up with this sh!t. I say that about Neal Stephenson too.
Havent read this one but will check out

poured through Gravity's Rainbow twice and Bleeding Edge once - tough reads but so intriguing

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The Rat King would be great one to read by propane, sitting in a hot, buggy, minimalist surf camp

maybe have your wife beat you with a rattan cane to complete the experience

• Haha
Reactions: ElOgro

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Quicksilver bored me, and I had trouble enjoying it stylistically. I'm not sure if I finished it (it was in 2003 I bought it, hardcover, cuz like I said I was a fan) but I did not go on to the rest of the series.
It's a fair take.

Baroque Cycle was the first of his stuff that I read. About 7 years ago? I think the first book was kind of a slog if I remember correctly. It sped up as it went, third book (System of the World) was excellent. I think that's what really hooked me. But Snow Crash reeled me in, landing me on the deck enough to want to read as much of his stuff as I can. I need to pick up The Diamond Age.

It's funny, I'm about 600 pages into Anathem. It's slow but it flows at the same time. Some good deep sh!t in there too. Love the jeejaw term.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Just finished The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy. Excellent. It's been a decade since I binged most of McCarthy's books and I guess I need to go back and reread them because while I certainly recall him being dark I don't recall him being humorous. At all. And The Passenger was both dark and funny. Reminded me a lot of Vonnegut in that respect tbh.

Thanks for the recommendation @ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Just finished The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy. Excellent. It's been a decade since I binged most of McCarthy's books and I guess I need to go back and reread them because while I certainly recall him being dark I don't recall him being humorous. At all. And The Passenger was both dark and funny. Reminded me a lot of Vonnegut in that respect tbh.

Thanks for the recommendation @ghost_of_lewis_samuels
I loved The Passenger.

I find some humor in most of McCarthy's work.

Suttree is hilarious.

Reactions: crustBrother