How should a shaper handle this?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Has anyone here ever got a new free replacement board because the one you bought got pressure dents?
Damn, I should have never paid for a bort in my 40+ years of sarfing life! Buy, complain, sell, and repeat. Works just as well as Collect Underpants ? Profit.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Bonus tip

: ANY time you’re putting a screw into a piece of “soft” material, ie plastic wood that has existing threads-

slowly turn the screw COUNTERCLOCKWISE until you feel the screw fall into the existing threads. Then tighten. This ensures you don’t cut across the existing threads/strip em.

I have a futures box that’s stripped. I use Teflon valve packing - it’s like a little rope of plumbers tape to keep the screw tight. Been using it that way for prob a couple years. Could prob also fold n twist up a piece of plumbers tape to create desired thickness.

I’ll add an addendum:

if there’s a bunch of material in the way the screw being installed - very carefully cut /trim away the material blocking the entrance of the threaded hole. Otherwise the material might end up in there destroying or at least widening the threads.

Last edited:

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Has anyone here ever got a new free replacement board because the one you bought got pressure dents?
I was buying a tailgate pad the other day and one of the reviews was a guy complaining that he left the long strap dangling after securing his board and it slapped his board in the wind making pressure marks. 1 star. This is the world we live in.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I was buying a tailgate pad the other day and one of the reviews was a guy complaining that he left the long strap dangling after securing his board and it slapped his board in the wind making pressure marks. 1 star. This is the world we live in.
I had a similar “problem“ involving straps and my wife. I kind of liked it.

Let those straps slap!

• Haha
Reactions: trifish

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Bonus tip

: ANY time you’re putting a screw into a piece of “soft” material, ie plastic wood that has existing threads-

slowly turn the screw COUNTERCLOCKWISE until you feel the screw fall into the existing threads. Then tighten. This ensures you don’t cut across the existing threads/strip em.

I have a futures box that’s stripped. I use Teflon valve packing - it’s like a little rope of plumbers tape to keep the screw tight. Been using it that way for prob a couple years. Could prob also fold n twist up a piece of plumbers tape to create desired thickness.
You talk to Randy Rarick and ask for a new board.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Bonus tip

Great tip in general but if you've ever added the screws to FCS2 boxes you will typically find the opening partially obstructed with plastic from their manufacturing process. There really is a knack to getting them started at the correct angle and into the threading.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Great tip in general but if you've ever added the screws to FCS2 boxes you will typically find the opening partially obstructed with plastic from their manufacturing process. There really is a knack to getting them started at the correct angle and into the threading.
That’s really lame. I have no experience w those boxes. They don’t come with grub screws installed?

I’ll add an addendum:

if there’s a bunch of material in the way the screw being installed - very carefully cut /trim away the material blocking the entrance of the threaded hole. Otherwise the material might end up in there destroying or at least widening the threads.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
That would be a no.
That’s kinda Crazy. Even more reason for the shaper to eat the cost IMO. it’s part of the board, even of some/most people don’t use em…. N if a shaper doesn’t -they run the risk of running into this problem. Shapers should just take the 1 minute and 30 cents to do that. N if there’s an issue, deal w it so you don’t end up w a pissed off customer

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
That’s kinda Crazy. Even more reason for the shaper to eat the cost IMO. it’s part of the board, even of some/most people don’t use em…. N if a shaper doesn’t -they run the risk of running into this problem. Shapers should just take the 1 minute and 30 cents to do that. N if there’s an issue, deal w it so you don’t end up w a pissed off customer
I've probably had 50 boards pass through my house with FCS2 boxes and I've likely only put screws in twice just so I could try old fins I had laying around.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
General observation here: If something as **** simple as this is a problem then evolution has surely passed you by as a worthy member of the human race.
Boomer out.
:roflmao:

• Love
Reactions: Sharky

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I've probably had 50 boards pass through my house with FCS2 boxes and I've likely only put screws in twice just so I could try old fins I had laying around.
I hear ya, but my point still stands. Shapers should either install the fuggin screws or suffer the consequences of some kook stripping out a box…

Which we see playing out w this dark arts board. I mean, fxk - there’s so much time n to build a boar, almost at the finish line n they don’t install screws. So stupid.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The whole point of FCSII is elimination of the need for screws. Why the fuck would they come with screws?

Reactions: motosurf
Oct 5, 2021
I have an old board now donated to my son with fcs2 boxes I had been running with old fcs1 fins, over a couple of years of putting fins in and out again I managed to strip a thread in one of the boxes. Found that some futures grub screws with wider diameter did a great job of creating a new thread so now I have an fcs2 fin box running fcs1 fin held in by futures screw!!! It is a PITA having to put the grub screw into fcs2 plug for the first time nice that futures come already set up.

Reactions: JDJ

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Side note, I once asked a dude for a "futures fin wrench" in the swamis parking lot, and he scoffed, told me they were the same as FCS (which he had). I stuck to my guns, opting to make him feel stupid rather than take it on the chin, and said "I'll take whatever gets my fin installed, but they're definitely not the same." However, I'm still not 100% confident in my stance, and I'm not going to take out digital calipers to measure.

Can someone edumacate me?

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest