How should a shaper handle this?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Side note, I once asked a dude for a "futures fin wrench" in the swamis parking lot, and he scoffed, told me they were the same as FCS (which he had). I stuck to my guns, opting to make him feel stupid rather than take it on the chin, and said "I'll take whatever gets my fin installed, but they're definitely not the same." However, I'm still not 100% confident in my stance, and I'm not going to take out digital calipers to measure.

Can someone edumacate me?
I swear (based on nothing other than voodoo sensation) the Futures Key is a little thinner than FCS by just a shade. Like, you put a Futures key in FCS = Spearmint Rhino stripping. You put an FCS key in a Futures screw, she fits nice and tight.

I think the threads on Futures boxes are different than the threads on the FCS boxes.

YMMV

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
they're not. The FCS screws are suppsedly shorter. My new board has an issue where the stoke screw was stick out of hte top of the box when cranked tight all the way. I know it probably made no difference but I wanted to fix it. Shaper told me to try FCS screws since they are shorter but I couldn't find any. He gave me the specs and I went to home depot and got a shorter screw. Worked like a charm. They have an assortment in the specialy drawer section of the hardware aisle.

Reactions: trifish

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’ve had to swap in longer screws into futures boxes.

i have a box that has grub screw threads in the middle but not at either end, those are both stripped. Too short of a grub and it just spins instead of tightens.

re FCS vs Futures spec, I do believe former is metric and the latter are in freedom units. Relatively negligible when you look at the diameter/pitch of the two, iirc, but that’s why the fin keys fit differently.

• Love
Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
If you can re-thread a stripped screw on an engine block... you can re-thread a stripped screw on a plastic FCS fin box. Either re-thread it with a bigger screw. Or fill the hole with resin or some other filler and re-drill the hole. It sounds like a simple fix.

If the fin box is not defective (which should not be hard to determine) Then the guy screwed up (pun intended) when he screwed in the screw. In that case, obviously its his fault.

If the fin box is defective, (which should not be hard to determine) I don't see how that is Dark Arts responsibility? They installed a fin box that they believed to be in good working condition and it sounds like the fin angle and everything else is fine. So Dark Arts did their job. I dont think Dark Arts has a duty to test the screws in every FCS fin box they install or accept responsibility for FCS's faulty fin box?

Reactions: Fishyhb

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
If you can re-thread a stripped screw on an engine block... you can re-thread a stripped screw on a plastic FCS fin box. Either re-thread it with a bigger screw. Or fill the hole with resin or some other filler and re-drill the hole. It sounds like a simple fix.

If the fin box is not defective (which should not be hard to determine) Then the guy screwed up (pun intended) when he screwed in the screw. In that case, obviously its his fault.

If the fin box is defective, (which should not be hard to determine) I don't see how that is Dark Arts responsibility? They installed a fin box that they believed to be in good working condition and it sounds like the fin angle and everything else is fine. So Dark Arts did their job. I dont think Dark Arts has a duty to test the screws in every FCS fin box they install or accept responsibility for FCS's faulty fin box?
Imo, installer of the boxes should check said boxes before installing.

it sounds trivial but this kind of qc/qa stuff is what separates the men from the boys in a production line setting.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Bit of a grey area, if it were my business my guys would checking that sh!t.

Quality control baby!

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Yeh as mentioned, fcs is a little shorter by a couple mm. I used to have spare bags of both.

@ReForest I've retapped a couple by filling with jbweld, waiting for it to cure, than drilling & tapping. Worked well.

• Love

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Imo, installer of the boxes should check said boxes before installing.

it sounds trivial but this kind of qc/qa stuff is what separates the men from the boys in a production line setting.
there ya go.
//thread

Stupid simple, stupid shaper/glass shop/QC. Easily annd cheaply avoidable. Kinda baffling to me how this thread is still going.

Reactions: santacruzin

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
there ya go.
//thread

Stupid simple, stupid shaper/glass shop/QC. Easily annd cheaply avoidable. Kinda baffling to me how this thread is still going.
Bonus is that if your shop is an iso9001 or whatever, your qc of said fin boxes are well documented, standardized and tracked as part of your process control and you are in a position to point out to your customer the fin boxes worked when they were installed.

- get your license right so its clear who owns what blames, and when the blame is yours you have enough cash flow to make it right
- get your processes right so you are certain what you did is verifiable and defendable
- get your customer engagement right so you don’t air your dirty laundry over social media/review sites/etc.

I bet Tony never gave this duuu a free tshirt. In my business, everyone gets a free tshirt and some stickers just for talking with us.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
there ya go.
//thread

Have you seen the leash string thread? Even weirder that you think this convo is stale.

Always an option to epoxy fins in and make it a glass in.

Reactions: surfwhere

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Have you seen the leash string thread? Even weirder that you think this convo is stale.

The leash string thread is perfectly valid piece of surf hardware that everyone apparently has anxiety over but nobody had the guts to admit.

leash strings save lives.

Reactions: SixtyGrit

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Yeh as mentioned, fcs is a little shorter by a couple mm. I used to have spare bags of both.

@ReForest I've retapped a couple by filling with jbweld, waiting for it to cure, than drilling & tapping. Worked well.
Nice! I'll try and store this in my long term memory bank.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Bonus is that if your shop is an iso9001 or whatever, your qc of said fin boxes are well documented, standardized and tracked as part of your process control and you are in a position to point out to your customer the fin boxes worked when they were installed.

- get your license right so its clear who owns what blames, and when the blame is yours you have enough cash flow to make it right
- get your processes right so you are certain what you did is verifiable and defendable
- get your customer engagement right so you don’t air your dirty laundry over social media/review sites/etc.

I bet Tony never gave this duuu a free tshirt. In my business, everyone gets a free tshirt and some stickers just for talking with us.
Where’s my shirt?

• Haha

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The leash string thread is perfectly valid piece of surf hardware that everyone apparently has anxiety over but nobody had the guts to admit.

leash strings save lives.
Leash strings are probably the most important and most overlooked piece of surfboard accessory hardware.

Their functionality are directly related to the aesthetics.

And ugly leash application can cause great bodily harm or death.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House

C’mon bro, Leash strings are a complicated quantum mechanical conundrum, there will likely never be a consensus of scientific opinion on the matter.