How Not to Park Your Boat

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
Does anyone on here live on a sailboat year round? - I have looked into it but it seems most live-aboard docks have banned it around Southern Cal. Would be great option if I could figure out how to do it legally.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
:roflmao:

That reminds me of when I worked at the boatbuilder. We had a boat (44 foot sailboat with lead keel) in a "cradle" and were getting ready to move it. That meant jacking the cradle up with big bottle jacks and putting wood blocks at the corners to make room for the wheeled platform to be rolled under the cradle. At a certain point one of the wood blocks (they were actually stacks of 2x4s nailed together) failed in some way and the there was a lound bang and the corner of the cradle tipped. In a split second everyone else was 20 feet away and I was left there thinking I could hold up the cradle by myself. When It became apprent the boat was not going to tip over they all started laughing at me.

Good times!

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Does anyone on here live on a sailboat year round? - I have looked into it but it seems most live-aboard docks have banned it around Southern Cal. Would be great option if I could figure out how to do it legally.
Pretty much any area in CA that has marinas has liveaboard options. Be picky about the year round weather and nearby amenities (Moss Landing pretty much sucks for living on a boat). Some marinas that front big hotels come with access to the hotel pool, gym, jacuzzi, etc. for example.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
WE had those type of hydrofoils in Hawaii in the 1970's. The novelty eventually went away. Locals wanted to get from A to B in the quickest of times. The company went belly up the the hydrofoils went to Hong Kong.
Super Ferry in Hawaii didn't last long here either. Protesters / surfers wouldn't let it enter Nawiliwili harbor on Kauai's. It also carried passenger cars and trucks. It soon went away. Honolulu to Maui. Honolulu to Kauai.

Reactions: surf-shot.com

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
WE had those type of hydrofoils in Hawaii in the 1970's. The novelty eventually went away. Locals wanted to get from A to B in the quickest of times. The company went belly up the the hydrofoils went to Hong Kong.
Super Ferry in Hawaii didn't last long here either. Protesters / surfers wouldn't let it enter Nawiliwili harbor on Kauai's. It also carried passenger cars and trucks. It soon went away. Honolulu to Maui. Honolulu to Kauai.
$39 inter-island airfares FTW!