How many times has your car been robbed while surfing?

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
Had a car stolen once in the early nineties. Ended up on the border near Mexico. This scene is basically verbatim to what was explained to me by the police when I arrived to pick it up; even down to the "Soup Kitchen" terminology.

jmh

Mar 11, 2002
1974, in A.C, NJ. States Ave dirt lot, right by the boardwalk ramp. Was checking it at the water's edge, looked back and saw a kid eyeing me from the boardwalk. Got a feeling something was up and started running back to the car. Came back to the boardwalk in time to see a pair of 13 year olds from the hood riding away double on a stingray bike. I chased them but was gassed from the run. I picked up a brick and hurled it as far as I could but (luckily) the brick landed short. Went back to where I had already seen my '62 VW's wing window smashed out. Cruised the inlet looking for the perps to no avail. Got away cheap enough

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Me - 9x. 4 in NJ, 2 Carib, 2 SoAmerica and in OZ my whole car was pinched..
I lost my favorite fish in the parking lot at Velzyland back in 1980. I parked the station wagon, ran through the jungle to check the surf and when I returned some thieves had tossed a basketball sized rock through the side window and grabbed it. I was stuck riding my backup a 7.0 pintail the rest of my stay.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
They got me today, first time in over 2 decades.

Buried my keys in the sand today in a downpour at Scripps, nobody in sight. As per usual. Came back and looked like a dog dug a hole in the sand.

Ruh-roh.

Back to the truck, mat was flipped, wallet and celly gone. Doors nicely locked.

Here's the crazy part. Since everything is timestamped I know the sh!t got stolen within 30 mins of being in the water, and within that time frame they had
- broken my iPhone password (they had texted with my wife telling her not to worry about the Wells Fargo fraud alert, that "I" was dealing with it)
- changed the password to+accessed my WellsFargo account (hell I don't even know the password to it because I never access it)
- moved around about $30k of funds within the account
- attempted about $20k worth of purchases of Apple merchandise

The only identifying stuff I had in my wallet was my DL. I don't use Apple Pay or any of that crap.

Pretty fascinating.

Now need to change locks to the house, mailbox.

Truck too I guess.

:shrug:

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Had a co-worker years ago who hid the keys to his pick-up under the fender. Truck gone when he returned from his session. Insurance covered the loss. He’s driving in Vista and see’s a truck similar to his. He parked the rental and walked to the truck, it was his. He had a key or fob and got in it and drove his truck out of the strip mall. It had several thousands of $ of construction equipment In the bed. He scored!

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
They got me today, first time in over 2 decades.

Buried my keys in the sand today in a downpour at Scripps, nobody in sight. As per usual. Came back and looked like a dog dug a hole in the sand.

Ruh-roh.

Back to the truck, mat was flipped, wallet and celly gone. Doors nicely locked.

Here's the crazy part. Since everything is timestamped I know the sh!t got stolen within 30 mins of being in the water, and within that time frame they had
- broken my iPhone password (they had texted with my wife telling her not to worry about the Wells Fargo fraud alert, that "I" was dealing with it)
- changed the password to+accessed my WellsFargo account (hell I don't even know the password to it because I never access it)
- moved around about $30k of funds within the account
- attempted about $20k worth of purchases of Apple merchandise

The only identifying stuff I had in my wallet was my DL. I don't use Apple Pay or any of that crap.

Pretty fascinating.

Now need to change locks to the house, mailbox.

Truck too I guess.

:shrug:
how old is the phone they cracked open? i wonder if modern iphones withthe face id would have helped or not in that sitch.

damn they almost got a huge score for some keys on the beach. when that happened to me all i had in their was a phone but i dont think anyone actually tried to get in my car - just took the keys and split.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
how old is the phone they cracked open? i wonder if modern iphones withthe face id would have helped or not in that sitch.

damn they almost got a huge score for some keys on the beach. when that happened to me all i had in their was a phone but i dont think anyone actually tried to get in my car - just took the keys and split.
This software from a company in Isreal can crack any iOS and Android devices. They only sell to major corps and law enforcement agencies / gov, not to individuals.

I'm sure it has found its way to the Black Market by now.

1705977188130.png

1705977254391.png

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
fook me that’s scary. sounds like someone was scouting the folks going out.

curious if you reported it to the Lifegaurd tower. if anything, they’d have a decent idea of the lurking creatures in the immediate area. certainly they will be back.

Reactions: Chocki

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This software from a company in Isreal can crack any iOS and Android devices. They only sell to major corps and law enforcement agencies / gov, not to individuals.

I'm sure it has found its way to the Black Market by now.

View attachment 171090

View attachment 171091
Cute.

Well it's gotten a whole lot worse.

$69,000 gone from the account.

Wells Fargo told me they blocked the account early this afternoon when I reported $30k of unauthorized transactions, plus credit card purchase attempts.

Yeah, well they didn't.

And the fraud department this evening became accusatory - basically stopping just short of claiming I was the thief.

The WF rep said WF is "demanding" I go to Wells in person to sort this out and that all aspects of my account are now locked.

Yeah, well that was supposed to be done early afternoon, but they never did it.

I was cool until now I'm fucking pissed.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
1974, in A.C, NJ. States Ave dirt lot, right by the boardwalk ramp. Was checking it at the water's edge, looked back and saw a kid eyeing me from the boardwalk. Got a feeling something was up and started running back to the car. Came back to the boardwalk in time to see a pair of 13 year olds from the hood riding away double on a stingray bike. I chased them but was gassed from the run. I picked up a brick and hurled it as far as I could but (luckily) the brick landed short. Went back to where I had already seen my '62 VW's wing window smashed out. Cruised the inlet looking for the perps to no avail. Got away cheap enough
Got the motherFucking erBB M Knight Shaman here.
Ngl bro totally thought those kids had stolen your bike until the end. Too badyou didn’t catch up to them. In the 70s it would’ve been legal for you to beat some sense into them, if not encouraged by law enforcement.

I had some flip flops stolen one time. Not chill. The sand was really hot and I got a lot of tar on my feet that sucked to get off.

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Cute.

Well it's gotten a whole lot worse.

$69,000 gone from the account.

Wells Fargo told me they blocked the account early this afternoon when I reported $30k of unauthorized transactions, plus credit card purchase attempts.

Yeah, well they didn't.

And the fraud department this evening became accusatory - basically stopping just short of claiming I was the thief.

I was cool until now I'm fucking pissed.
Holy fuckin sh!t man, what a nightmare (understatement of the year). Sorry to hear that

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
fook me that’s scary. sounds like someone was scouting the folks going out.

curious if you reported it to the Lifegaurd tower. if anything, they’d have a decent idea of the lurking creatures in the immediate area. certainly they will be back.
Pouring rain, no guards around. Nobody except surfers on the beach. Sprinted from the truck to the beach. Sand on the handle of the door, guess cause they'd been digging. Of course the key has a 'yota logo on it.

I'd love to know where the scout posted up. Because I was reverse scouting (always do) and it appeared no one had followed and no one could see my stash spot. And of course, the rain.

This happened on LJ Shores Dr down towards UCSD in front of this place lol

Screen Shot 2024-01-22 at 8.18.57 PM.png

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Not their first rodeo nor attempt on you. You’ve likely walked past them in the past 3 months.

Sucks and scary.

it’s been awhile for me. Got my wife 9 years ago. Computer. Wedding ring. Ruined my hunting trip.

Pre cell phone days, would never lock the door. Figured it would save a broken window. Just didn’t keep valuables. Learned from my pops who would leave his corvette unlocked in employee lot at LaGuardia.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Not their first rodeo nor attempt on you. You’ve likely walked past them in the past 3 months.
Pros for sure.
I'm thinking the person posted up near the parking.
Followed at a distance, watched me walk out toward the water.
The low tide + rain made it easy to follow footsteps in the sand back to the stash spot.