How many surfs before you ditch a board?

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
@ReForest

Did the board pressure ding on the deck easily? Talked to a guy yesterday who bought one and said the deck was full of pressure dents after the first surf.

Thought it was interesting. My DA Plasmic dented but my DA Twinsman doesn’t. Plasmic was shaped, sent and surfed right away. My Twinsman sat around for “a couple months” before I bought it and then another couple weeks before I surfed it.

Maybe DA needs some curing time… :shrug:
I was always told Epoxy didn't need a cure time, whereas poly needs to cure a minimum of 3 weeks. Got a few PUPE boards back in the day that I surfed immediately - and it showed. Destroyed within a month. You'd think DarkArts with its carbon and epoxy would be bomb-proof right from the get-go.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I was always told Epoxy didn't need a cure time, whereas poly needs to cure a minimum of 3 weeks. Got a few PUPE boards back in the day that I surfed immediately - and it showed. Destroyed within a month. You'd think DarkArts with its carbon and epoxy would be bomb-proof right from the get-go.
A buddy's DA Album Bom Dia dented a LOT and he buckled it within five days in under shoulder high surf. He wasn't able to surf the board for three weeks after it was done due to a shoulder injury, so it should have been almost fully cured.

Reactions: ReForest

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Yeah, I dunno. My Plasmic doesn’t dent anymore but it did quite a bit on the first couple surfs.

The guy who told me about his Vader is the guy who just bought my DA ghost (yeah, I sold it) yesterday. He just texted me. Surfed the ghost up in morro Bay Area this morning in fairly sizable surf and said it didn’t dent at all.

Also, I’ve been told the PUPE needing to cure was a ‘myth’ but my experience says different.

Reactions: sh3

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
@ReForest

Did the board pressure ding on the deck easily? Talked to a guy yesterday who bought one and said the deck was full of pressure dents after the first surf.

Thought it was interesting. My DA Plasmic dented but my DA Twinsman doesn’t. Plasmic was shaped, sent and surfed right away. My Twinsman sat around for “a couple months” before I bought it and then another couple weeks before I surfed it.

Maybe DA needs some curing time… :shrug:
I’m thinking maybe the Plasmic wasn’t put in the cure box(hotbox) to post cure. And the Twinsman was baked in it for a bit before being put on the rack

Reactions: Mr J and JDJ

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I’m thinking maybe the Plasmic wasn’t put in the cure box(hotbox) to post cure. And the Twinsman was baked in it for a bit before being put on the rack
cure temperature rather than length of cure more important for epoxy.

Take the boar home and keep it somewhere warm for at least a few days. This is likely to yield better results than a cold cure over the course of say a week. Those timeframes are just ballpark guesses and how I would treat a just lammed epoxy.

If its winter then this means keeping it in a heated room 24hrs a day.

Reactions: sozzle and ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@Duffy LaCoronilla

About 1 1/2 month of surfing and 24 sessions.

More dents than a Firewire. About the same as an XTR board.

I was a little surprised since I only weigh 145lbs. I was told years ago by Jerry from XTR that even though an Epoxy board is fully cured, he suggested letting it sit for a couple weeks more.

IMG_4862.jpeg

IMG_4872.jpeg

IMG_4873.jpegIMG_4877.jpeg

IMG_4878.jpeg

IMG_4870.jpeg

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
@Duffy LaCoronilla

I was a little surprised since I only weigh 145lbs. I was told years ago by Jerry from XTR that even though an Epoxy board is fully cured, he suggested letting it sit for a couple weeks more.

View attachment 176793

View attachment 176795

View attachment 176796View attachment 176797

View attachment 176798

View attachment 176794
I don't think your traction pad is far back enough

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I think Dark Arts is 2.0 lbs EPS core with a single layer 5.7oz carbon cloth on bottom on top.

Their website says they put a 4oz warp fiberglass cloth underneath the carbon on the top deck.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
with the vacuum bagging they do, they use less resin in the glassing process right?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
@Duffy LaCoronilla

View attachment 176793

View attachment 176795

View attachment 176796View attachment 176797

View attachment 176798

View attachment 176794
24 sessions? Looks normal. Better than normal. I don't see what the issue is.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
24 sessions? Looks normal. Better than normal. I don't see what the issue is.
There’s no issue. I just asked him about it due to a conversation I had with a guy that got a DA Vader and said it looked like a monkey went at it with a ball peen hammer after one surf.

To be fair he was a bit bigger than Forrest midget. He got a 5’9 Vader and I asked if it was too floaty to get on rail and he said no. Rough guess I would say the guy was about 190 pounds.

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The too floaty to get on a rail issue was a mistake on my part. I think the fins are what is messing with me. I have the Endorfins in my mail box (the ones Tomo suggested to use with the board) and I'm going to try those and see what happens.