How many surfs before you ditch a board?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
And this is what 'scared' me away from the Vader 2.0 they had in my size at Dank Farts. It was a quad, only. No center fin box.

Other than my GMM2, I used them all as thrusters. Speed was already hard wired in there.
Funny how fins are so subjective. I’ve played with all kinds of fin setups in GMM2s. Liked it a lot as a thruster, but went to another level with MR twin + training wheel (which i remember you didn’t like).

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
in hindsight, there wasn't nearly enough anticipatory savory. The board was announced, ordered and delivered in a matter of weeks. tomos from AUS have more special sauce because they probably take at least 6mo to get.

Instant satisfaction can unfortunately lead to instant buyers remorse, especially with something as moody as surfboards, as mentioned here. Once they're a dud in your head you may as well unload it. An unfortunate ramification of the YOLO lifestyle.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I just wanna say that @JDJ was right :bowdown:

I am now adding "must ride a south swell" and "must ride trestles" to the list of "Musts" before ditching a board.

Rode the Vader V2 at Uppers today and had a blast! The board is definitely a point board. It likes an open face to carve. Since it has so much Vee it sits deep in the water, so you have to be patient really carve and push through every single turn. Once I figured that out it became more effortless and super fun! No double pumps, no kicking the fins out, no aggressive or jerky maneuvers -- everything has to be smooth, and rail to rail, and it becomes this super fun little skatey, smooth, twin fin feeling board. (At least that is my experience so far).

Also, the Endrofins quad are a great fin for that board. The quad trailers are small enough to still have hold and loosen up the board perfectly. I think the Kraken twins with the trailers are quads are faster, but the Endorfins feel perfect.

Super stoked on the board and just wanted to say thanks to everyone and thanks to @JDJ. I was ready to unload this thing cheap, but glad I didn't. :jamon:

Last edited:

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Stocked for you ReFo! But let’s be honest….that zone will make just about any board go good. There’s a reason Salsa did his reviews there. Glad the board is out of the doghouse and making you happy again

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Stocked for you ReFo! But let’s be honest….that zone will make just about any board go good. There’s a reason Salsa did his reviews there. Glad the board is out of the doghouse and making you happy again
Maybe so... but it revealed how the board likes to be surfer, instead of me just thinking it was a bad board or I just suck super bad.

I'm glad I was able to get it in some good waves before giving it the flick. Stocked!

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
@Duffy LaCoronilla

About 1 1/2 month of surfing and 24 sessions.

More dents than a Firewire. About the same as an XTR board.

I was a little surprised since I only weigh 145lbs. I was told years ago by Jerry from XTR that even though an Epoxy board is fully cured, he suggested letting it sit for a couple weeks more.

View attachment 176793

View attachment 176795

View attachment 176796View attachment 176797

View attachment 176798

View attachment 176794
u forgot to scrape the wax off the pad. fail 2/7

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
you have to be patient really carve and push through every single turn. Once I figured that out it became more effortless and super fun! No double pumps, no kicking the fins out, no aggressive or jerky maneuvers -- everything has to be smooth, and rail to rail
this is how surfing is supposed to be done

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Being able to get your fins to hold and/or release, for me, is what keeps things interesting. IMO (and a whole host of others), Ethan Ewing is the best rail surfer on the CT, but he also can let his fins drift when he leans into a turn on or above the wave face.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
At my spot we'll joke each other with "Didn't see your fins" when someone catches a good wave. It hurts. Kicking the fins out without speed is kooky though it's also part of the learning curve for vertical surfing. You see little kids doing it and the next thing they're doing is airs and blow tails. Crowded Lowers probably not the best place to waste waves but it's also one of the easiest waves to do crazy turns in the lip and on end sections.

Reactions: ReForest