How many surfs before you ditch a board?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
How many surfs before you decide a board is not making the cut?
5 sessions?
1 month?
1 session of good wave?
1 wave?

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Depends on if it's a Tomo or not.

I tend to try to make a board work for way too long. I think having to deal with selling it and admitting defeat put me off. I just tried for 6 months off and on to make a board work but finally gave up. It doesn't help that you can go down the rabbit hole trying different fins.

Jan 2, 2024
Maui
Id say 5 or so sessions. Depends on fin setup. If i have multiple fin setups that could possibly go well in the same board id like to try each fin setup twice before deciding its a dud. I have one board that didnt work well with 2 sets of fins i tried but then i tried it with a set of am2 techflex and it lit up. If i sold after 1 surf i never would have known

Reactions: lofatkilla

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I’ve ditched quite a few after one or two waves. Most of those were groveler or alt shapes. My first Wizard Sleeve was a 5’10. As soon as paddled it I knew it was too big. Sold it at a hundred loss and got a 5’8.

CI Mid - one wave.

Twinsman round pin - two sessions.

Twinsman pu/pe- Rode it three sessions and grabbed a Dark Arts.

Plasmic pu/pe - same

Rode a Fred Rubble into the ground and never liked it.

Most boards I get I’m looking for a specific feel and usually can tell pretty quick of I’m going to get that feel or not.

I’ll give HP quads quite a long time to get fins right.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I had a custom J7 with a wide nose and very narrow tail (modeled after CI Deep Six). Board was total dog. Simply didn’t work. Shaper made exactly what I wanted so can’t blame him for it. Tried to sell it but everyone who looked it turned it down. Sat in the garage for a couple years. Then I had a conversation about fin setups with a couple local legends, guys that you’d listen to about anything surfing, and the idea of putting AMTs in front and nubsters in the quad rears came up.

Tried it on that board and it became one of my all time favorite boards. Still have it. Haven’t ridden it in a decade. Probably dead now.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
if you have to ask, you probably already know.

there are:

1. boards that dont work
2. boards that are interesting
3. boards that work but aren’t interesting
4. magic boards that work and are interesting

#1 is near immediate, #2 until you lose interest, #3 until something interesting comes along, #4 when you age or change locales and finally have to move it along because it has shifted into categories 1-3.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
There are those times when I get a new board and the waves are bad but I take it out and struggle on it. I try to avoid doing that but when I do I really try not to hold it against the board. If I get a session in the the type of waves that I got the board for but it still feels bad, that's kind of it. Just to make sure it's a dud and it wasn't just me being off that day I'll usually put it aside and try it again later, maybe at a different spot but still on a decent day. If it still isn't feeling right that's probably the end.

Rarely does a board go from a dog during the first session to a magic keeper in my experience. That doesn't mean that they always start off perfect but there is usually at least something there that excites me and then they get better and better as I get used to them.

For funky alt shapes I try to be more patient. Like, I don't longboard or ride single fins much so when I hop on one of those I'm not expecting to click with it right away and it might take me half a dozen sessions to really click with it. For a grovel board or a thruster or a gun I can usually tell after a couple sessions whether it is for me or not.

Boards that I wasted far too much time on include:
Super Fling
Album Twinsman
Pyzel Gremlin

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
only boards i havent clicked with in the past were Grovelers like the lazy boy, von sol whatever and sh!t from that era. gave them a handful of tries and ultimately just gave up, got into fish again. Admittedly maybe i just suck in small waves that require a groveler but i wasnt feeling the magic i always heard so much about. These days, ill just not surf or borrow a longboard.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Like most here, I'm yer average lifelong surfer - moments of derp, some of glory. One thing I can say, I know from the first wave whether I'll like it or not. I'll keep at it and try prove myself wrong, say - 5 sessions, but I'll let it go after that.

Might be all in my head, but that's it for me. Luckily, I've not had many such experiences.

Hope this isn't in relation to that Vader?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
usually know right away if it’s going to have conditions it will be better fit for, needs different fins, or just isn’t for me.

there’s something about a good board, sometimes not having that something is enough for me to not want to ride it again. There are so many good boards out there, why waste time with a bad lay?

Reactions: SD_Dan

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I tend to over persist.

Most boards I can get to work.

I knew straight away from a FW FRK I would never make it work- shitty paddler, squirrelly, lacking drive. Just a nightmare trying to get it from A to B.

It's the only board I've really hated from the first wave- I persisted out of spite.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I tend to over persist.

Most boards I can get to work.

I knew straight away from a FW FRK I would never make it work- shitty paddler, squirrelly, lacking drive. Just a nightmare trying to get it from A to B.

It's the only board I've really hated from the first wave- I persisted out of spite.
I remember your feedback on this board before, and it's saved me money at the time... never got around to thank you.

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
OG Lost rocket I hated from the get go, but I was 15 years old and the amount of froth I had getting it I had to keep it going for years and lie to myself (also was a broke hs kid); forced me to get back on my first board, a surftech Byrne TC fish which was one of the best boards I've ever had. Fug the pop out police.

My buddy accidentally bought a firewire pyzel slab for cheap in a silent auction. It was the biggest POS board I've ever touched. No one liked it at all. I think he just left it at the beach and didn't try to sell it. Unlike any other pyzel I've seen. Glad he dropped that collab

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
I think a lot of boards initially feel stiff but after a handful of waves the flexing kind of breaks them in and they go better. Also sometimes same spot, same swell direction, size and period waves will just will be weirder one day and a board will feel like sh!t but surf it again and it will work. I'm also too lazy to bother selling boards.

Reactions: Havoc and Fishyhb