How’s the stock market?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
grape n sussle hate real numbers

Something something Peter Schiff reddit adhominem
i don't actually even know who Peter Schiff is but you're welcome to find a post where i referenced him, if you think it exists. and the numbers i use to keep score these days are on Wall Street - they are real enough to bank on. :cheers:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
i don't actually even know who Peter Schiff is but you're welcome to find a post where i referenced him, if you think it exists. and the numbers i use to keep score these days are on Wall Street - they are real enough to bank on. :cheers:
Schiff was my comment, I describe him above :beer:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
He's the guy that was predicting a crash for decades and then jumped up and down proclaiming how right he was when 2009 rolled around. Sound familiar :unsure: :roflmao:
Here's what you don't get.

Major economic crises generally take years, decades to unravel and often "everything is fine". You could visit the country and not even have a clue there is an economic crisis. For instance, 20 years later the Argentine economic crisis is still unraveling, but you could easily visit and not even know how bad things are. Bandaid, shell games, and fingers in the dam prop things up.

Schiff's position appears to be that MMT is no way to run a an economy and that in the long term MMT will ruin our economy; that there is an end point to all this.

I tend to agree - the latest solution I'm hearing to the US being eventually unable to pay off the interest on our debt (we could never collect the taxes to do it) is "we can just print money to pay it off.":toilet:

It's pretty mind boggling we live in a country where our taxes don't really keep the country running, rather we are loaned money from other countries to keep the country running.

You don't think there's an end point to that?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Peter Schiff owns some company that sells Gold.

But where he really shines is in marketing himself. His online persona went viral by repeatedly making strongly negative comments about crypto.

He did this knowing crypto dorks wouldn't stop talking about him and in that regard, they spread his name like wildfire all over social. Suddenly his gold website started getting a ton of traffic. His name started trending on Twitter at times. Now he's on CNBC and other shows. Brilliant marketing move all because crypto idiots are gullible and easily swayed.

Reactions: sussle and Chocki

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Peter Schiff owns some company that sells Gold.

But where he really shines is in marketing himself. His online persona went viral by repeatedly making strongly negative comments about crypto.

He did this knowing crypto dorks wouldn't stop talking about him and in that regard, they spread his name like wildfire all over social. Suddenly his gold website started getting a ton of traffic. His name started trending on Twitter at times. Now he's on CNBC and other shows.
If I'm not mistaken he used to work at CNBC.

You don't remember him from back around 2007, 2008?

He was on CNBC all the time.

Either way he was in the media long before crypto.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yes, I've heard it all before :rolleyes: Argentina also put itself in a tough spot by tying their currency to the USD, having high import taxes, antagonistic to foreign investment/business, and other fookery that is generally considered bad economics. Which is not to say that we don't engage in bad practices ourselves, because we absolutely do, but nothing like Argentina in the 90s.

Schiff's position appears to be that MMT is no way to run a an economy and that in the long term MMT will ruin our economy; that there is an end point to all this.
He's a perpetual doom n' gloomer and Gold Bug. Eventually they are all right because the correction comes eventually, then they pat themselves on the back and tell everyone how right they were. If they actually gave a timeline for their "predictions" I would give them more credit, but they don't. They are like Nostradamus predicting earthquakes in big cities centuries from now and their followers saying, "See, he was right!"

MMT is not inherently bad so long as money is not added to the economy out of sync with productivity. Currency doesn't need to be backed by gold or anything else so long as I can use it to pay my mortgage and taxes. That said, I do agree that MMT has not been used properly.

It's pretty mind boggling we live in a country where our taxes don't really keep the country running, rather we are loaned money from other countries to keep the country running.
This is simply wrong. Look up exactly how much debt is actually owned by foreign countries. It's not as much of the debt as you think it is.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009

Major economic crises generally take years, decades to unravel and often "everything is fine". You could visit the country and not even have a clue there is an economic crisis. For instance, 20 years later the Argentine economic crisis is still unraveling, but you could easily visit and not even know how bad things are. Bandaid, shell games, and fingers in the dam prop things up.

I tend to agree - the latest solution I'm hearing to the US being eventually unable to pay off the interest on our debt (we could never collect the taxes to do it) is "we can just print money to pay it off.":toilet:

You don't think there's an end point to that?
You really have no idea what you are talking about. The anti-MMT movement is based on just that.

I thought I got you weaned off the Austrian School, but you are back on the teat and sucking it hard :roflmao:

• Love
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
WeWork, once valued at $47 billion, files for bankruptcy

SHEIN (pronounced SHE-EN) is going public.

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

As far as the whole wework thing, I blame Laird. That dude is a poison dwarf when it comes to business smh.

And hard pass for me bro on Sheit (pronounced fuck the Chinese and fuck fast fashion).

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
WeWork, once valued at $47 billion, files for bankruptcy

fook WeWork and fook Softbank for paying off Adam Neuman (Neuman!) $1.7 billion to walk away from that trainwreck he created.

Reactions: Chocki

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Instead of going to WeWork, couldn't you go to the library or Starbucks?
my wife says available outlets are now scarce and the typical places don’t have any bc of the wfh, vanlife, etc crowds that set up and stay all day.

she’s started getting creative with where she’ll set up when SDGE or spectrum has an outage at the house.

Reactions: grapedrink

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Money doubles every 7 years at 10%, which equities (S&P 500 as a benchmark) has consistently provided.
-Compounding…