How’s the stock market?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Alt market went absolutely berserk again today. XRP and XLM did 100%+. Most did 10% minimum. Many did 20-40%. ETH pushed to 600 and got the required 524,000 ETH coins locked up to launch ETH 2.0 on December 1. Big money has arrived.

2017 Dec 17 = $20,000

2018 Dec 15 = $3,128
2019 Jun 27 = $13,900

2020 Mar 13 = $3,858
2020 Nov 20 = $18,800
Why are you fomo-shilling on the erBB so hard? Do you think the party will continue into the New Year, or do you think there's a swan dive off a cliff incoming before President's Day?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I sold some Apple this week and it went down a little.

Is that winning?

I can't decide if I should buy some more Exxon.

I think when the virus is mitigated the humans are going to be all can do to make up for lost time.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Why are you fomo-shilling on the erBB so hard? Do you think the party will continue into the New Year, or do you think there's a swan dive off a cliff incoming before President's Day?
No fomo shill. This is a thread about the markets. Nobody here is going to jump in based on anything posted here. You'd have to sign up with an exchange and go through KYC. Then you'd have to figure out how to connect your bank account. How to do a limit or market order. Figure out wtf you're even investing in. And then decide what to buy. Most non-techies are lost on this sh!t as it's way diff than buying a share of stock and overly complicated.

I have no idea what the market will do. My guess is BTC dumps when it hits 20k, and money flows back to alt market. Then Alt market pumps while btc cools. Then BTC starts pumping again and money flows back, and it goes above 20k

I do find the markets fascinating though. Making money on trading something intangible seems so weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I’m going to be so pissed if they let the cryto traders take a pass at having to pay capital gains taxes again this year.

Sorry, but not Sorry.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I’m going to be so pissed if they let the cryto traders take a pass at having to pay capital gains taxes again this year.

Sorry, but not Sorry.
Mandatory for US exchanges to auto-report your earnings/losses to the IRS. Been this way for 3 years now. And overseas exchanges don't allow you to cash out straight to USD. You'd have to cash out in another currency, then convert that to USD somehow, without anyone noticing.

IRS going to get theirs no matter what.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
anyone care to speculate, in a non-partisan way, as to whether the Dow would have broken 30K as it did today, if Trump had won? I have had about a dozen positions I was stuck throughout the summer and fall that have turned profitable since the election - i'm inclined to think the market liked the election results. or is it primarily vaccine news that's really driving this rally?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I got a nice email from Binance saying something along the lines of: we see you are in the US, GTFO

Are they really bad at KYC or is this a new thing?
Part 1
Last Sept, Binance announced no more US traders. This caused every foreign exchange to follow their lead, and all of them cut off US traders. They did this because they know they don't meet financial regulations and don't want the SEC busting down their doors. However, Binance failed to actually enforce this change in policy in any way, and US traders were still able to trade on Binance without a VPN.

Part 2
Binance set up Binance.US and Binance.UK, both as completely separate companies. .US is based in US and adheres to all financial regulations of the US. The .UK is based in UK and adheres to all financial regulations there. These are set up as separate companies than Binance (.com) to protect CZ and parent company from lawsuits.

Part 3
Enter BitMex, a big exchange overseas. Last month, they got busted by US feds with some arrests, and top four guys had to resign from company. Reason feds went after them is because they continued to let US traders use their platform, well after a deadline the feds had given them over a year ago.

Part 4
CZ, the founder of binance and now mega billionaire in just five years must have got scared because less than a week after BitMex scandal went down, he was tweeting about how difficult it was for them to block US traders, which is complete bs. They never actually tried to do anything because the US brings huge volume to exchanges.

Reactions: the janitor

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I sold some Apple this week and it went down a little.

Is that winning?

I can't decide if I should buy some more Exxon.

I think when the virus is mitigated the humans are going to be all can do to make up for lost time.

"This week" = Monday?

Tuesday is up a $1.40 right this very second...which means, well, you know what it means.

1606247880839.png

Why not wait for the Santa Claus rally to really kick in?

But you know, bird in hand beats two in the bush.

Reactions: r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
thanks, wow I am behind the curve on this

has CZ said where they keep their servers etc. or is that still a moving target?
No exchange will EVER say where they keep their servers (although I'm sure many use Azure, AWB or other for services), for obvious reasons. In fact, they will never even say where their offices are at. Due to nature of crypto and how you could potentially steal it, rob them, kidnap the execs and demand ransom, etc.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
ok poor phrasing on my part, has he said if they are a Chinese company subject to Chinese regulations and gov't fuckery?
They were originally based in Hong Kong, then jumped ship when China took over Hong Kong again after the British gave it back to them. Other exchanges fled too. It was also a time when China gov was claiming they were going to crack down big time on crypto stuff (they never really did crack down at all...FUD).

So Binance left HK and claimed to set up shop in MALTA which is a country known to be really crypto friendly. Later it turns out, Binance only set up a PO Box there and not really based there. Nobody knows where their offices are at (or even if it they have offices) and nobody knows were CZ lives. Even CZ himself claims not to have a physical address, no doubt for security / safety reasons. You can imagine if someone kidnapped him for mega crypto ransom since he has the keys to the Binance kingdom.

No idea how China gov regulations may apply but Binance is huge with Asian investors.

Binance 24h volume: $13,695,726,412

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
My 401(k) has gone up $80K since the election. Biden bump, or vaccine gains, or both?

Historically the market does better when a Dem in in the White House, so there's that.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Dow Jones hit a new record today of 30,000. I think 2021 is shaping up to be a good one. But after 2020, any other year would be a good one by default.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Dow Jones hit a new record today of 30,000. I think 2021 is shaping up to be a good one. But after 2020, any other year would be a good one by default.
I’m a complete contrarian to that view right now. I have a stronger cash position than I’ve had in years.

Sure, my Beta is factored down and I have a tax liability heading my way come April, but not too worried about inflation right now. Maybe that’s why everyone is trying to get ahead of future inflation curve with cryptos right now and willing to sit on it as a cash a hedge.

The housing bubble is about ready to pop once again. At least in coastal, top tier markets. Sitting in something as illiquid as housing in a downturn is not that appealing. Commercial RE is facing a new reality. Construction that is occurring right now has been in the works for over three quarters.

The service sector is farked. Especially the hospitality and travel sector. All in that industry run by the bootstraps and are always blowing smoking up their investors asses. The average sweet spot on the curve is two years then it’s time for you to pull the ripcord on your exit strategy. Covid just ate half of it. You think investors with cash are euphoric enough to invest in that headache with hope of pent-up demand fueling untold returns?

Yellen, is fantastic, but what does the Fed have left in their toolbox? Negative interest rates. hmmm. Maybe she knows how to fly Helicopters?

Energy, the US‘s top export, is still pissing in the wind that has a big low pressure behind it for quite sometime.

Pharma is going be pressured with the new admistrstion.

Defense, The industry that IS America, actually will be OK.

When the New Green Deal is spun and spoonfed as the future economy, we’re done.

Maybe Crypto is the place to be? Never owned, never will, but not knockin it. Guess I Had to write all that out to get it myself.

:monkey:

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
And since you all probably think I’m have no idea how everything works I’m going to continue on and see how far a hole I can dig myself.

Back when the covid first hit in Jan/Feb 2020, the Fed found themselves sitting at a table were a big ass bag of sh!t splattered all over the surface from above. No one saw it coming. What they did find was, and saw, was even worse. In Jan/Feb 2020, they calculated the average American had $400 to their name. Basically the average American was bankrupt. Remember this is a big country and the coastal areas do not reflect America at all.

$400 dollars...to last how long? No one knew, or really even does today.

Thank the Chinese for knocking out the gene sequencing of covid so fast and letting it be known. They will probably never get the recognition in current history for that.

So I’ll get tared and feathered for stating this, but the Trump/Republicans probably played the cards right by trying to allow the country to remain in confusion during this crisis. We are an ignorant, selfish society as a whole on the world stage. So would a message a unity, one bigger than ourselves work from coast to coast. Yah, right. Could they have tried? Well, Not during a re-election year, and they didn’t want to take a risk to give it a go. So let American be Americans. $400. You put a halt to a global bankrupt society in hopes an airborn pathogen will play nice and the citizens even nicer with limited understanding and forward thinking, that could have been pandoras box.

The decennial census this year took a count of the homeless population in each city. That will be an interesting one to see when it get published in 2021. To be honest, the numbers are not really needed. All you need to do is cruise around town from 11pm on and look for all the Vans/Campers/towels in the windows parked along city streets in non residential areas.

Eye opening...but the Dow just hit 30,000.

A New Zealand lockdown would have been wild here, too wild if you ask me, the repubs thought the same thing.We were dammed if we do, damned if we don’t from the getgo, and will be in the future as well. Outstanding for news rating though. CNN news, Fox, et.al had the biggest quarterly revenue numbers in their existence during this pandemic. Fuel and Fire. Who’s really in control?

The whole mask situation has been pure comedy too. Talk about a stall, but they had to, I completely get it.

$400...

With the lack of brick and mortar job going forward and the new “remote” workforce, we are at the most ill equiped time in our history to deal with our population.

So how does that equate with growth and future earnings?

Oh yah, the vaccine...but what about the great American spend down of Covid-19?

Reactions: the janitor and r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
And since you all probably think I’m have no idea how everything works I’m going to continue on and see how far a hole I can dig myself.

Back when the covid first hit in Jan/Feb 2020, the Fed found themselves sitting at a table were a big ass bag of sh!t splattered all over the surface from above. No one saw it coming. What they did find was, and saw, was even worse. In Jan/Feb 2020, they calculated the average American had $400 to their name. Basically the average American was bankrupt. Remember this is a big country and the coastal areas do not reflect America at all.

$400 dollars...to last how long? No one knew, or really even does today.

Thank the Chinese for knocking out the gene sequencing of covid so fast and letting it be known. They will probably never get the recognition in current history for that.

So I’ll get tared and feathered for stating this, but the Trump/Republicans probably played the cards right by trying to allow the country to remain in confusion during this crisis. We are an ignorant, selfish society as a whole on the world stage. So would a message a unity, one bigger than ourselves work from coast to coast. Yah, right. Could they have tried? Well, Not during a re-election year, and they didn’t want to take a risk to give it a go. So let American be Americans. $400. You put a halt to a global bankrupt society in hopes an airborn pathogen will play nice and the citizens even nicer with limited understanding and forward thinking, that could have been pandoras box.

The decennial census this year took a count of the homeless population in each city. That will be an interesting one to see when it get published in 2021. To be honest, the numbers are not really needed. All you need to do is cruise around town from 11pm on and look for all the Vans/Campers/towels in the windows parked along city streets in non residential areas.

Eye opening...but the Dow just hit 30,000.

A New Zealand lockdown would have been wild here, too wild if you ask me, the repubs thought the same thing.We were dammed if we do, damned if we don’t from the getgo, and will be in the future as well. Outstanding for news rating though. CNN news, Fox, et.al had the biggest quarterly revenue numbers in their existence during this pandemic. Fuel and Fire. Who’s really in control?

The whole mask situation has been pure comedy too. Talk about a stall, but they had to, I completely get it.

$400...

With the lack of brick and mortar job going forward and the new “remote” workforce, we are at the most ill equiped time in our history to deal with our population.

So how does that equate with growth and future earnings?

Oh yah, the vaccine...but what about the great American spend down of Covid-19?
Excellent points.

So what's going to happen to all the brick-and-mortar office space? Already my friends who work at big corps said they are making a large portion of their workforce to be permanent at-home workers, with occasional in-office meetings.

Also, amazing that Best Buy stock has risen significantly of late. They were on the verge of bankruptcy, but I don't see how retail outlets compete with the ever growing Amazon gorilla, in the long term. If they started to go down, that would be a lot of empty retail buildings.