How’s the stock market?

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Signature Bank into receivership last night.
My son went to high school with the Signature CEO's son and interned in the CEO's office while going to Fordham University for finance. Hahaha I had to buy him two Brooks Brothers suits for that job. My son decided against going into regular banking which he felt the script was already written for and wound up at Google where they do things that haven't been done before and they don't wear suits there so those two suits are still hanging in his closet. The Signature CEO and his son are nice people and were very good to my son.

At the time my son was interning, around 2014, Signature was very big in Taxi medallion loans in NY City. The city was gleefully auctioning off new medallions for close to a million dollars in 2014 as tickets to the American dream, with immigrants willing to work a lot of hours, borrow from relatives and take on a lot of bank debt buying them (along with some big operators who owned many medallions). At the same time the city let Uber and Lyft in without medallions which crashed the value of the medallions they were selling down as low as $25,000. One cab driver killed himself. Incidentally Trump's Lawyer Michael Cohen owned a number of medallions - I've always wondered if some of Cohens actions were caused by his medallion empire evaporating. I know Signature had some fairly painful losses with the medallion loans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/12/business/signature-bank-collapse.html

Reactions: r32

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
BTW, my invitation still stands for anyone who still wants to make a bet the “hawkish” Fed won’t pivot and cut. Any takers? Lol.
I'll take your bet, Jerome is gonna keep full steam ahead on rate hikes.
Does anyone here actually disagree the rate hikes are done?

Anything more would further cause damage to the banking system.

I’d like to hear a contrarian opinion.
Yes. Although honestly I'm more open to "emerging information" that winds up proving you correct. But lunchtime Monday March 13th, yeah, we haven't reached peak interest.
Can we place bets on whether or not Cramer sheds tears (again) on live TV this afternoon?
We can, after you:

1. present yourself to @vanrysss and myself and explain why you aren't actively defining criteria and stakes/wager on the rate hike bets
2. explain why you deleted the post I quoted previously about rate hikes being done
3. beg forgiveness for talking the above schmack
4. promise to address @grapedrink and @Northern_Shores as "Sir", "Excellency" or "Your Majesty" in future posts on this thread.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
U.S. Regional Bank Stocks:

1. Western Alliance, $WAL: -75%
2. First Republic, $FRC: -65%
3. Zions Bancorp, $ZION: -43%
4. PacWest, $PACW: -41%
5. Comerica, $CMA: -33%
6. Fifth Third, $FITB: -20%
I won't be trying to catch that falling knife.

I bought 200 shares of Honest (HNST) for my wife yesterday. The timing wasn't bad and it'll be interesting to see how it behaves over the next few months.View attachment 109489
When did you get out?

1678732066592.png

• Wow
Reactions: r32

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
SJIM

The Inverse Cramer Tracker ETF (the “Fund”) seeks to provide investments results that are approximately the opposite of, before fees and expenses, the results of the investments recommended by television personality Jim Cramer.

View attachment 150258
I’m calling my broker! :jamon:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Luckily my banks are not in this clownshow. People acting like the world is gonna end over some bank noone has ever heard of before now. If you want to be in the finance world, getting beat up is part of it. It's not fun, but it is part of the job.

I am getting smoked, but listening to grandpa Joe's speech made me feel better :)
The Viking occasionally gabbles some sense through the fog of meade, fetal pig blood, and P/E ratios

• Haha
Reactions: Northern_Shores

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Fair point, but I read and enjoy the Viking precisely BECAUSE i found Metalocalypse so entertaining. They's like peas n carrots

If that show never existed, it's very likely @Northern_Shores would never have existed either

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
There is a good chance that will end at some point in our lifetime. Likely sooner rather than later IMHO.
Yup. The FED has put itself between a rock and a hard place. Now they need to either save the banks or save the currency system.

The world will slowly but surely lose faith in the dollar, that is a fact. (slowly is key here)