Home improvement - where to start?

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
We've had good luck with Kohler fixtures. Hardware doesn't last as long as it used to. Even the better brands have been "value engineered" trading quality for cost.

Reactions: sdsrfr

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
Pro tip on shitters for CA residents- I think you can only buy low volume flush toilets in CA for a while now. It might only be in certain counties, Im not entirely sure.Yeah, low vol toilets save water, but youre getting skid mark art with every flush on a number two. Even with tons of fiber, in fact it might even be worse with high fiber diets as they do more of a drag & smear exit.

Its worth considering keeping your old ones unless it you like the art. There are other ways to save water unless you taking like 8 shits a day.

Reactions: sdsrfr and Matilija

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Pro tip on shitters for CA residents- I think you can only buy low volume flush toilets in CA for a while now. It might only be in certain counties, Im not entirely sure.Yeah, low vol toilets save water, but youre getting skid mark art with every flush on a number two. Even with tons of fiber, in fact it might even be worse with high fiber diets as they do more of a drag & smear exit.

Its worth considering keeping your old ones unless it you like the art. There are other ways to save water unless you taking like 8 shits a day.
That's funny. True too, but funny

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
I was watching a vid on a bathroom remodel and the guy stated that the big box stores have cheaper versions of the same brand fixtures compared to direct from manufacturer or supply houses. :shrug: Wonder if that is true. I've heard that it's true for paint, that the big box stores get specially (cheaper) versions of the name brand stuff. Sherwin-Williams at Lowes is apparently not the same product as from the Sherwin-Williams store. Heard it referred to as "value engineered".

• Sad
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I was watching a vid on a bathroom remodel and the guy stated that the big box stores have cheaper versions of the same brand fixtures compared to direct from manufacturer or supply houses. :shrug: Wonder if that is true. I've heard that it's true for paint, that the big box stores get specially (cheaper) versions of the name brand stuff. Sherwin-Williams at Lowes is apparently not the same product as from the Sherwin-Williams store. Heard it referred to as "value engineered".
Not sure specifically about Home Delowes but this is SOP for $69 Black Friday big screens :roflmao:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

Our house came with a 1980s gem of a high flow shower head. Ho Lee puck the water pressure was so high it took a few showers to get used to but it shames any other shower I take.

If/when we ever move the shower head is coming with.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Our house came with a 1980s gem of a high flow shower head. Ho Lee puck the water pressure was so high it took a few showers to get used to but it shames any other shower I take.

If/when we ever move the shower head is coming with.
Definitely hold onto it.

If not, with some of the new shower heads you can find the piece that slows it down and take it out. Even if there isn't one, a thin drill bit down the center will do the trick :beer:

Reactions: keenfish

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
What’s a good brand for bathroom fixtures?

We have hard water so cheap units will flake and fall apart quickly.

lowes said koholer or delta during my 5min of research.

aside but related - if it’s not the cartridges nor the aerator, what makes a fixture leak at the base down into the cabinet below?
Hopefully a real plumber will chime in.... But in my limited experience, if it's leaking at the base of the fixture, it is most likely a failed cartridge. If it is not leaking around the surface edge of the fixture it could be the hot / cold water supply connection that is leaking. Also check to make sure your drain stem connection at the basin is not the culprit.
Good luck!

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Hopefully a real plumber will chime in.... But in my limited experience, if it's leaking at the base of the fixture, it is most likely a failed cartridge. If it is not leaking around the surface edge of the fixture it could be the hot / cold water supply connection that is leaking. Also check to make sure your drain stem connection at the basin is not the culprit.
Good luck!
Thanks. I think it was leaking in a few places. Here has been my progress -

wife reports fixture is leaking when turned on from the levers and slight drip under the sink‘s vanity.

cartridges replaced and leak stopped at the levers but now leak flow rate increased in the vanity.

removed aerator, leak under vanity down to a dribble but still present.

planning to pull the fixture off the vanity entirely, if no obvious solution I’ll just order replacemebts.

of course for lolz, this is a double vanity, and it’s the wife’s side that is busted. mine is the same age and works great sans some corrosion.

• Love
Reactions: npsp

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
On the subject of shower heads. Buy a Speakman Anystream, remove the flow stopper. Our guests are always amazed. Should probably be in the “goods” thread”.
Which model specifically? Looks like they range from $30 to $150.

my guest bath needs a better shower head. I hate using it compared to the primary bath.