Home improvement - where to start?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
After- originally we had all paper and matchstick blinds which cost next to nothing, offered total privacy at night and let in light during the day, but after 8 years in the sun they disintegrated. I could not find anyone who makes them anymore. We had $3 paper blinds for a year or so and finally found the accordion blinds at Ikea.

Covered a cheap refrigerator with redwood veneer. Still bugs me that I book matched a little sapwood strip in the middle. would have been so easy to flip :foreheadslap: .

-View attachment 129256View attachment 129258View attachment 129257
Very nice work!
How're the Ikea cabinets holding up?
We've got our own mess going on and are considering Ikea for the kitchen.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Very nice work!
How're the Ikea cabinets holding up?
We've got our own mess going on and are considering Ikea for the kitchen.
Ikea cabinets are fine. My advice to avoid the cookie cutter look is to buy harware (handles) online, and if you're handy, add some wood bits here and there. Look for lighting on Etsy.

I'm surprised the cabinets are available. When I was last there, maybe six months ago at the eheight of the supply chain issues, everything was "out of stock."

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
We've just been looking on line. a lot of their stuff is back ordered... I like the idea of adding accents and aftermarket hardware to customize the stock faces.
I also veneered to top drawers. Check www.certainlywood.com. They are the only online veneer vendors that show the actual flitches you are going to buy (rather than generic species photos).

Also, I recently found this company. They say they are made in the USA :cheers:....but are not totally transparent about pricing, so I can't speak to that. I think you have to submit plans to them to get the price. But if you're ready to pull the trigger I would check it out.

Reactions: npsp

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
We've just been looking on line. a lot of their stuff is back ordered... I like the idea of adding accents and aftermarket hardware to customize the stock faces.
For the bathroom vanities in the 3 bathrooms that we have gutted recently, we've found quality floor cabinets for cheap in an area of Costa Mesa/Fountain Valley that has a concentration of furniture places which will bargain. My contractor/brother-in-law then converts those to vanities with sinks, stoneware, and decent hardware that looks great. Better result, for less cost, than buying whole new fancy vanities.

Reactions: npsp and grapedrink

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Anyone know anything about a roof?

brought out a roofer who said my roof was fine, go ahead and add solar. Hits me up a day later asking how soon I plan to sell (I don’t, told him I didn’t when first talking). Says if 5-10, leave it, if I want to keep it - replace the roof.

said something about “40yr shingles with considerable life left” after first looking it over.

think I need to bring out another roofer.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Anyone know anything about a roof?

brought out a roofer who said my roof was fine, go ahead and add solar. Hits me up a day later asking how soon I plan to sell (I don’t, told him I didn’t when first talking). Says if 5-10, leave it, if I want to keep it - replace the roof.

said something about “40yr shingles with considerable life left” after first looking it over.

think I need to bring out another roofer.
Here in NY the old tar impregnated felt shingles would lose the little pebbles on the edges first then absorb water through the edge and start to cup. They would then take a long time to dry out after each rain which would rot the wood beneath. The fiberglass based shingles especially the architectural ones were a game changer. Not only would the fiberglass based shingles not absorb water but the architectural ones were thicker - three bundles of regular shingles would cover a 10 foot by 10 foot "Square" but it took 4 bundles of architectural to cover the same. I got 20 year GAF timberline architectural shingles in 1993 which are now almost 30 years old and are really very fine still with very little loss of the little pebbles and no cupping at all.

I think my next roof will be all solar, those solar shingles. It looks like they put down a plastic frame first and screw them onto the frame, plugging them into each other under the frame.

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Here in NY the old tar impregnated felt shingles would lose the little pebbles on the edges first then absorb water through the edge and start to cup. They would then take a long time to dry out after each rain which would rot the wood beneath. The fiberglass based shingles especially the architectural ones were a game changer. Not only would the fiberglass based shingles not absorb water but the architectural ones were thicker - three bundles of regular shingles would cover a 10 foot by 10 foot "Square" but it took 4 bundles of architectural to cover the same. I got 20 year GAF timberline architectural shingles in 1993 which are now almost 30 years old and are really very fine still with very little loss of the little pebbles and no cupping at all.

I think my next roof will be all solar, those solar shingles. It looks like they put down a plastic frame first and screw them onto the frame, plugging them into each other under the frame.
I don’t have cupping but I definitely lose a lot of those little pebbles so much that I need to sweep the yard after a heavy rain.

yymv but have a friend with solar shingles and they have had constant issues with panels not working and needing repairs. They say they wish they just did standard panels like the rest of the neighborhood.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
yymv but have a friend with solar shingles and they have had constant issues with panels not working and needing repairs. They say they wish they just did standard panels like the rest of the neighborhood.
Glad you said this - I've been waiting for those panels to get good, figuring by the time I need a roof they may be good enough. I guess they are not there yet - thanks for the heads up.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
For the bathroom vanities in the 3 bathrooms that we have gutted recently, we've found quality floor cabinets for cheap in an area of Costa Mesa/Fountain Valley that has a concentration of furniture places which will bargain. My contractor/brother-in-law then converts those to vanities with sinks, stoneware, and decent hardware that looks great. Better result, for less cost, than buying whole new fancy vanities.
We've done this in the past with great results and are doing this for the vanities in the bathrooms we are adding but were hoping for something more plug and play for the kitchen. I like OneOffs suggestion to add details/veneer and aftermarket hardware. Not sure which direction we're going yet....

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
figured out my roof is 17yrs old and has a “50 Year Elk Prestique Plus” shingles.

I don’t imagine I’m supposed to get 50yrs out of it.

any ideas how long to expect?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
figured out my roof is 17yrs old and has a “50 Year Elk Prestique Plus” shingles.

I don’t imagine I’m supposed to get 50yrs out of it.

any ideas how long to expect?
In San Diego UV is the most damaging element your roofing will be exposed to. Hail, heavy rain, snow ice and wind is what kills roofs. As long as you don't walk around on your roof too much, they should last close to the 50 year claim.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
In San Diego UV is the most damaging element your roofing will be exposed to. Hail, heavy rain, snow ice and wind is what kills roofs. As long as you don't walk around on your roof too much, they should last close to the 50 year claim.
:cheers: Thanks.

the first roofer i mentioned above first said the roof looked terrific and no need to reroof before adding solar.

he then called me back a few days later saying he had reservations after 5-7yrs, and recommends replacing the whole thing with dimensional shingles for $13k.

im waiting my turn to get the second roofer on site for their take.

$26k cash for solar+roof gives me an 8yr payoff and doesn’t seem as worth it as $12k cash for solar with 4yr payoff, all assuming I end up with NEM 2.

throwing out a decent roof early seems like a waste on any savings Id get. Note, I do not plan on selling the property in the next 10yrs.

Last edited:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

the first roofer i mentioned above first said the roof looked terrific and no need to reroof before adding solar.

he then called me back a few days later saying he had reservations after 5-7yrs, and recommends replacing the whole thing with dimensional shingles for $13k.

$26k cash for solar+roof gives me an 8yr payoff and doesn’t seem as worth it as $12k cash for solar with 4yr payoff, all assuming I end up with NEM 2.

throwing out a decent roof early seems like a waste on any savings Id get. Note, I do not plan on selling the property in the next 10yrs.
Did you ask him why he changed his opinion on the condition of your roof? Seems like an overt attempt to upsell you on something you don't need.

Reactions: PRCD

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Did you ask him why he changed his opinion on the condition of your roof? Seems like an overt attempt to upsell you on something you don't need.
He asked if I was planning to own the house for a while vs sell in 5-7years. if I was in it for the long haul, he said the roof would be in rough shape before the panels hit 25yrs old and thus not to expect a 25yr service life without having to fix the roof at some point before the panels quit.

in my mind, replacing a roof with decent but unknown life left is worse than pulling off solar panels that are already paid off to replace the roof.

Reactions: npsp

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The panels will provide protection extending the life of your roof. Your 17 YO roof will most likely outlast your panels. Replace all in 25 years. The tech will be 1,000,000 x better. Always get 3-4 estimates for this type of work. Usually two will be close and one will be in outer space. Never go with a dirt cheap low bid. You will pay later one way or another....

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California

I wouldn't replace the roof. I got advice from the ripoff guy I almost signed as my GC to replace the roof (I'm sure he would have gotten a cut). My GC/brother in law who is actually doing the major home remodel work as I type got a personally trusted roofer sub out to look at our roof and he said it will solid for years to come. It is 18 years old.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You get what you pay for they say. I paid more and got a shower with chips in multiple places, a shower head installed too low, sloppy caulking, and this was the cherry on top:0105C8A8-2F68-45A2-B29E-9D43ECBAF278.jpegD4612724-EE9E-4FA5-968F-48ECA736D405.jpeg

This was from a contractor that came recommended.

Then they sent a guy out to fix some of the materials that should've never been used in the first place - he got sloppy and dripped product in the new tub.

• Wow

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
You get what you pay for they say. I paid more and got a shower with chips in multiple places, a shower head installed too low, sloppy caulking, and this was the cherry on top:View attachment 137777View attachment 137778

This was from a contractor that came recommended.

Then they sent a guy out to fix some of the materials that should've never been used in the first place - he got sloppy and dripped product in the new tub.
Not trying to kick you while you're down and you may already know this, but that will look worse as soap scum and mold builds in the texture he left in the caulk. It will be hard to keep it looking clean. If it becomes an issue you may want to find a painter or trim carpenter who's caulked miles and miles of molding and trim. There is a bit of an art to applying the right amount and smoothing it properly.