History buffs: "You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer."

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
ifallalot said:
You are completely out of touch
He's a childless baby boomer who watches cable news all day. No way he could possibly be in touch.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Surfdog said:
It's getting to the point many people won't need laptops or iPads anymore. They have pretty much all connectivity in their pockets/purses. Watching movies/TV on tiny screens seems a bit dumb to me, but whatever.

So many websites/apps, so little time.

Like this can be when work slows down.
We're moving this way at work. I'd rather watch on a TV but maybe we're old fashioned?

The key is getting something that can play out from your phone to your TV but remain integrated with real-time stats or twitter or some bullshit so you can be involved while watching.

The NFL just signed a huge deal with Twitter to do live streaming next year

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
ifallalot said:
Surfdog said:
Kento said:
Surfdog said:
Kento said:
Furthermore, for the baby boomers on here, what did health care cost you back then? How about transportation costs? Housing? School?

How many of you even had to take a final exam in high school let alone middle school? Carry several dozen pounds of textbooks to and from school?

I find it incredibly disingenuous when people from that generation talk about the youth of today being lazy and entitled. It's exactly the opposite by comparison. Houses by the beach? That's exactly what you DID get from standard paying jobs. The generation coming up works harder, has more stress, and faces far tougher a road towards economical viability. And then the audacity to call them entitled for wanting the same opportunities that the baby boomers got?! Laughable. Absolutely laughable.
These are California problems, run exclusively by democrats. Take it and like it. You voted for it.
I voted for a more advanced curriculum? :roflmao:

The point I'm getting at is that previous generation had it soft, really soft.
Tell that to my parents that lived thru the Great Depression, or fought in WWII, or as kids we had to live off Hamburger Helper in the 70's because prices kept jumping up on everything beyond parents wage increases.

Now, living a tough life is not getting cell coverage on your smartphone.
:foreheadslap:

You are completely out of touch
We're you even alive in the 70's and very early 80's?

Did you try to buy a car, and have to pay 21% interest on it?

Pay 10% to as high as 17% on mortgage interest rates? And these were for well qualified.

I'd love to see the bitching here, if we were in those economic situations.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Surfdog said:
It's getting to the point many people won't need laptops or iPads anymore. They have pretty much all connectivity in their pockets/purses. Watching movies/TV on tiny screens seems a bit dumb to me, but whatever.

Desktops are done. Laptops you still need because you can't type up a large document with your thumbs.

I am old school and still like to read actual books instead of a kindle.

Hopefully for kids, they'll continue to be more reliant on technology instead of lugging huge textbooks around. Speaking of wasteful spending, the textbook industry is way out of control. Bloated costs, new editions every year (with no real updates), and hard to sell back at decent return costs. It'll be beautiful to see technology destroy that industry.

You can always use USB cable to attach to your phone to see movies/TV on bigger screen.

This place is still my overwhelmingly time waster of choice. If only I could embed YouTube videos and post pics using phone.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
My out of touch comment was due to the mention of zero wage growth while fighting price increases. What exactly do you think has changed since then? Same thing happening

Anyway, that interest back then was tax deductable so don't cry to me about that

Itriggeralot

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 16, 2015
Coney Island
Surfdog, why live in California if you're going to endlessly moan on and on about how awful it is with the democrats in charge? Wouldn't you be happier living in one of the red states like Louisiana, Kansas, Texas, or Alabama? I mean just look at those wonderful republican Utopias. :bricks:

I know for sure I wouldn't want to live in those states. California is predominantly a blue state so keep on bitching about it, but it ain't changing anytime soon.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
ifallalot said:
My out of touch comment was due to the mention of zero wage growth while fighting price increases. What exactly do you think has changed since then? Same thing happening

Anyway, that interest back then was tax deductable so don't cry to me about that
LOL at the people who think we're actually "pulling down the wage payer". The wage payer is the only one getting paid at this point.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
GromsMom said:
Surfdog, why live in California if you're going to endlessly moan on and on about how awful it is with the democrats in charge? Wouldn't you be happier living in one of the red states like Louisiana, Kansas, Texas, or Alabama? I mean just look at those wonderful republican Utopias. :bricks:

I know for sure I wouldn't want to live in those states. California is predominantly a blue state so keep on bitching about it, but it ain't changing anytime soon.
Kauai will be my home eventually. Hopefully sooner than later. At least their sales tax is still half of Calif. Hawaii is a blue state too, but has it's share of silent fiscal conservatives. Just don't talk politics in mixed company, unless you're sure.

You can stick a fork in California. The once Golden State of opportunity will be only for those with the gold and those who will polish it for them.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
hal9000 said:
ifallalot said:

LOL at the people who think we're actually "pulling down the wage payer". The wage payer is the only one getting paid at this point.

Corporate and small business are 2 completely different animals.

Itriggeralot

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 16, 2015
Coney Island
Surfdog said:
GromsMom said:

Kauai will be my home eventually. Hopefully sooner than later. At least their sales tax is still half of Calif. Hawaii is a blue state too, but has it's share of silent fiscal conservatives. Just don't talk politics in mixed company, unless you're sure.

You can stick a fork in California. The once Golden State of opportunity will be only for those with the gold and those who will polish it for them.
Yeah, because you are so known for only being a "fiscal conservative".

Hawaii is a pretty liberal state. More so then California. I believe that it's representation in congress is 100% democratic. (Tulsi galbard for Vice President.! ;) )

MJOJunkie

Michael Peterson status
Jan 4, 2015
Socal Bight
Did you try to buy a car, and have to pay 21% interest on it?

Bought my 1st car with 20% interest then sat down with Paul Volker and had a sandwich.

We are in a different era. Assets are so levered up with ZIRP that any material move (up) in interest rates will arguably bring down the entire house of cards.

Fed has boxed itself into a corner with extremely dangerous short term thinking.

Hillary will fix it! :hat:

franksbarney

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2012
GromsMom said:
Hawaii is a pretty liberal state. More so then California. I believe that it's representation in congress is 100% democratic.
Ya think!

Perhaps a correlation is in order?

It pays not to work: Hawaii residents receive highest welfare benefits in US
http://www.hawaiireporter.com/it-pays-not-to-work-hawaiian-residents-receive-highest-welfare-benefits-in-us

LBJ when passing the Great Society legislation "I'll have those [Hawaiians] voting Democrat for two-hundred years"?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
FranksBeau said:
GromsMom said:
Hawaii is a pretty liberal state. More so then California. I believe that it's representation in congress is 100% democratic.
Ya think!

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/it-pays-not-to-work-hawaiian-residents-receive-highest-welfare-benefits-in-us

LBJ when passing the Great Society legislation "I'll have those [Hawaiians] voting Democrat for two-hundred years"?

I was just reading about that the other day. $60K per year although you would have to live in Section 8 housing with a bunch of tweekers.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
FranksBeau said:
GromsMom said:
Ya think!

Ya, read that stat a few weeks ago.

California's slackin' and needs to match or beat those rates. Can't let Hawaii beat us on compassion. Even the new minimum wage couldn't compete with that. We won't even require citizenship. Come one, come all.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Then, on the other hand, you look at this:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0X324W

Responsible for 29 deaths and gets a $250,000 fine (after receiving $12M golden parachute no less) and a year in jail.

That is an outrage.

You know what justice would be?

His execution and distribution of every single penny of his assets to all of the miners that worked for him. Not just the ones killed (although their families should receive greater than the average share for obvious reasons) but everyone who worked there under his leadership.

But he's in the protected class of citizens I suppose. Gotta make sure they stay profitable as possible - f*ck everyone else.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Kento said:
I was just reading about that the other day. $60K per year although you would have to live in Section 8 housing with a bunch of tweekers.
I've rented to section 8 tenants before. It was very strange. And scary.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Surfdog said:

Hey, a 6 inch screen 12 inches from your face is the same as the 65" across the room.

Move on with the times pops.