History buffs: "You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer."

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Sharkbiscuit said:
hal9000 said:
ifallalot said:
VonMeister said:
Fast food workers should all collectively go on strike until their demands are met.
Fine with that too. Fast food is garbage
it would be interesting to see the ripple-effect this would have. the beef lobby would freak the f*ck out.
Not sure if there is a potato lobby but french fries are a seriously big driver of demand.
And let's not forget about the soda and sugar lobby groups.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
hal9000 said:
Kento said:
hal9000 said:
ifallalot said:
VonMeister said:
Fast food workers should all collectively go on strike until their demands are met.
it would be interesting to see the ripple-effect this would have. the beef lobby would freak the f*ck out.
What would they do with all the hooves and thrice-recycled rectums? :bawling:

They might have to start putting that stuff in dog food and we humans might have to start eating real food.
The crazy thing is how expensive fast food is. Meals that are cooked at home cost 1/5 the price and a ton more healthy and tastier. Wife made chicken laarp the other night and pho is on the menu for tonight. :facelick: I married well. :computer:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Our union is meeting with the chancellor today to talk about the CFA strike.

I told they students the strike may be called off.

Those we're some pretty pissed off 19 year olds.

I said I would strike anyway.

To which there was great applause.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Autoprax said:
Our union is meeting with the chancellor today to talk about the CFA strike.

I told they students the strike may be called off.

Those we're some pretty pissed off 19 year olds.

I said I would strike anyway.

To which there was great applause.
Keep fighting the good fight

Although you should try and schedule a strike when there's surf.

How's your back? I screwed up my fretting hand about a year ago somehow while surfing and can't play anything for more than 15 minutes without pain, especially bass. Might have to get a short scale Jag or Mustang again to see if I can even play guitar anymore

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
hal9000 said:
ifallalot said:
VonMeister said:
I think more accurately, Mexicans would show up and take the jobs. Have you seen a construction site lately?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
captyoda said:
hal9000 said:
GDaddy said:
The common theme of income inequality is usually based on comparisons of rich people's income vs their workers. And if we thought that we actually could get the rich to give the pay increase to the poor that would make sense. But everyone here is a consumer and we all patronize businesses that employ minimally skilled and poorly paid workers.

So I think that maybe the more valid comparison would be to compare your income to that of a minimum wage. And we can do it with a couple of fairly simple questions:

- Your income; how many multiples of the minimum wage is it? ($50/hr = 5x the $10/hr minimum in California)

- Do you consider your work to be worth 3x or 5x or 10x that of the work performed by minimum wage workers?

- If you think you are overpaid relative to those workers, what multiple do you think would be more fair when considering the additional qualifications it takes to get your job and perform your job?

These are rhetorical questions so I really have no interest in what your income is, but I am interested in what you think a reasonable multiple of the minimum wage would be for your income.

The pay raise that would make sense to people would logically amount to whatever it would take to elevate the minimum wage to meet that multiple.
That is a tough one. I don't know how you'd place a dollar value on the work that you or I do. I guess you'd have to figure out some way of quantifying your effect on society overall, plus (or multiplied by?) how many people are able to do your job.

This also raised the question: why the f**k do we value our CEOs as much as we do, relative to their contribution to society, our economy, and the companies for which they work?

This is probably the biggest problem. Ok if you made it to CEO sure man you deserve to make a lot but when it gets so ridiculous like here in a lot of these companies its a problem. Its greed pure and simple. There is definitely a growing gap between CEO pay and workers under high management. This gap keeps growing in America over time. Wages have been stagnating as CEO pay keeps going up and up and that is bullshit.

This greed is actually what is causing demand and regulation for a minimum wage. I don't exactly agree with a 15 dollar law but I can see why it happened. I used to work at taco bell for 4.25 and no way in hell had any intentions of thinking this was it. Basically what happened was these companies have been having a party squeezing every penny towards themselves instead of being fair and taking their share and spreading the wealth. SO after a long time the govt steps in and starts uping the wages because these asshats keep lining their pockets.

If these CEOs could of only took a 12 million dollar pay instead of 15 mil with bonuses and found it in there heart to think hmm maybe i don't need a 5th house.

I mean in the 50's and 60's it would be maybe 4 for me 1 for you, now that gap keeps widening 10 for me 1 for. 30 for me 1 for you. on and on.

It sucks cause laws like the minimum wage law will affect small businesses who may have been honest and awesome. I know where I work if your green with no skill its $14 to start with full benefits and on the high end non management position it tops out around high $38-$42 an hour this is non union btw. Anyone with drive can get to the high end in about 5-7 years or make even more in a management role. Our CEO makes about 2 mil a year and the company boasts doing about 60 mil a year.

To me this is fairly balanced and people seem generally happy. its basically everybody making money everybody happy. But if you get some clowns at the top that want all the money thats where it all starts to get f'ed up. Also if you create a workplace where people want to work you will get better candidates and can be more picky. AS far as fast food I always hear In and Out pays 12 to start? same with starbucks .as far as In and Out there is clearly a higher quality in workers than mcdonalds etc.. and I'm almost certain mcdonalds makes more, and I'm also certain despite In and Outs higher wages they are making a crazy profit.
For the most part and based on what I've seen when I check the numbers, how much a non-ownership CEO makes has almost no effect on worker wages when averaged out over the entire number of employees in the company.

It's a great talking point but the numbers don't usually support it. Not among CEOs who are employees. Now CEOs who also have ownership in the company because they founded it are a different story.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
GDaddy said:
For the most part and based on what I've seen when I check the numbers, how much a non-ownership CEO makes has almost no effect on worker wages when averaged out over the entire number of employees in the company.

It's a great talking point but the numbers don't usually support it. Not among CEOs who are employees. Now CEOs who also have ownership in the company because they founded it are a different story.
I'm not a mathematician but 471:1 seems like an awful disparity that if corrected would make a huge difference in both pay raises and employee morale.

I'd like to see your numbers.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
FecalFace said:
GDaddy said:

I'm not a mathematician but 471:1 seems like an awful disparity that if corrected would make a huge difference in both pay raises and employee morale.

Why do I not see you guys go after the more than 50 billionaires in the Silicon Valley region for their grossly disparaging wages to employee ratio?

But you continue to buy their sh!t and support them.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Surfdog said:
FecalFace said:
GDaddy said:

Why do I not see you guys go after the more than 50 billionaires in the Silicon Valley region for their grossly disparaging wages to employee ratio?

But you continue to buy their sh!t and support them.
What makes you think any of us are giving Silicon Valley a pass?

If you look at my history, I've been rallying against their criminal use of H1B visas a lot lately, and not to mention I think I've suggested both executions and deportations for certain "venture capitalists"

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
ifallalot said:
Surfdog said:
ifallalot said:
Even if the interest was high the principal was lower and the monthly payments were still in the general range (compared to monthly wages) that they are now.

People are payment buyers and can only afford so much.

ZIRP does nothing but screw over the little guy. Bring back 10-15% mortgages now, that will get prices back to where they belong
Umm, not sure what kind of new math you're using?

The first 20 years of those 30 yr 10-15% mortgages are mostly all interest, and very, very, little principal. The last 5 years of the loan, it's FINALLY half interest and half principal, and interest FINALLY starts dropping drastically. You'd HAVE to stay in your home for many years to get any semblance of equity.

If you'd rather give the evil banks 4x as much in interest payments, power to ya.

Total out-of-pocket cost on 30 yr $100k loan at 4% = about $170k, monthly pymt $477.00 (first payment is $144 principal, $333 interest)

Total out-of-pocket cost on 30 yr $100k loan at 15% = about $455k, monthly pymt $1264.00 (first payment is $14 principal, $1250 interest)

If you think banks are money-hoarding bastards now, what would you call them back then?

Ya, those are 1970's home prices. Calculate even HALF of todays home prices and see what out-of-pocket and monthly payments are in comparison. :blush2:

Even with an interest deduction, you have to wait a whole year to get some of it back.

Check the assorted online mortgage calculators, and you'll confirm the above.

Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it.
I'm well aware how financing works. We're fucked by the banks regardless so I'd rather see interest rates hike in order to get prices to drop.

Its time to do something drastic and hiking interest rates is another option.

My real plan would be

1. Repeal Prop 13 (but grandfather in retired people on the property they live in)
2. Base property tax on whatever another similar state with income tax has on first property
3. Ban any non-citizen from owning real estate (I'd like to ban out of staters but that would unconstitutional
4. Ban vacation rentals, AirBnB, etc.
5. Tax 2nd property at 50%, tax any more properties besides what you live in at 100% and more

Watch home prices plummet and the real American, Middle Class ideal of land ownership for all come back. Otherwise we continue on the path back to feudalism
:fight:
Wow! talk about destruction of an lower and middle income economy. Your policies would basically give government full control of the home buying industry. Might as well live in 1940's USSR communist block countries.

How is it that high interest payments are good for ANYBODY? You're paying 3x to 4x MORE in payments, and getting NO WHERE on equity for decades.

HOW IN GOD'S NAME is that an incentive to buy, let alone afford a home!? Even if homes in So Cal could somehow magically drop to $200-$300k within quick drive of the beach, it would still cost $2500 to almost $4000 a month for a mortgage, with no equity gains for decades.

It would be ecomomic suicide for the ANY region, wealthy or poor, to wish for 10-15% interest rates on home buying.

You can't even BUILD a modest house for less than $200k in So Cal anymore because of all the overt taxes, regulations and enviro-hoops to jump. That's not counting land value, which I know you think should not even be allowed. The government should own the land too, I suppose?

You want so much government intrusion into our lives, economically and socially, that we might as well be a communist police state. Ifall, I know your rail/hate against the wealthy, but you're rooting for the wrong team, which is just as corrupt, if not much more so.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
The interest rate hike is only something to stop the crisis we have now. I don't think its a great idea, especially since it gives banks more money but whatever we have going on right now isn't working. I admit this is only due to some things I've been reading and I'm not convinced.

However, that's the only thing you really refute me on. Everything else you just say durrrrrrrrr communism. The current market is NOT working, its time for drastic change

I agree that our government is corrupt, but ultimately trust should be in the government because they exist for the people, while moneyed interests exist for profit.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad

No doubt, 471:1 looks like a really high ratio because it is a really high ratio. But 471/1000 employees is a bigger number than 471/3000 employees.

Admittedly, I have only done spot checks at random off the Forbes list so those are the numbers I'm referring to. The thing is, most of the guys at the very top are either part of the ownership of the company (which is an additional and separate allocation of profit) or are cashing in one-time stock options or other forms of compensation that were earned over a period of several years, not just one year.

This is what Forbes says about in the preface to their top-10 list:

Highest-Paid Bosses
The CEOs of America's 500 biggest companies got a collective pay raise of 16% last year earning total compensation of $5.2 billion. That's an average $10.5 million apiece. Exercised stock options and vested stock awards account for 60% of total pay for this group of 500 firms. Those components of compensation is the reason these CEOs are on list of highest-paid.
The top CEO was the guy at the head of McKesson Pharma with $131M - he stands alone at that figure and is clearly the exception to the rule rather than a typical example of it. .

The No. 2 guy was Ralph Lauren of Ralph Lauren at less than half that - $66.7M. But he's not a great example to use because he's part of the ownership of the company and it literally would never have come into existence but for him. There are a couple more heads below him that were part of the company's founding or ownership, so let's start with the #5 guy on the Forbes list, who doesn't appear to be part of the ownership.

David Cote of Honeywell (which I doubt employs very many working poor workers).

One-year total compensation ($MIL): $55.8
Cote's bonus ($23.3 million) was tied to Honeywell's 13% sales growth and 19% segment profit growth in 2011. Honeywell's stock was up 2% in 20011 and up 15% year-to-date.
Honeywell employs 129,000 people and had revenues of almost $39B in 2015. By my count, Mr Cote's grossly excessive compensation amounts to $432 per year per employee, or a bit less than $.21 per hour (Gross). In other words, if that guy actually worked for free - which isn't a reasonable expectation - then it would not show up at all in his employees' weekly pay.

Now that's an extreme example of what I'm saying but there are others.

The next guy on the Forbes list is George Paez of Express Scripts, at $55.1M. He got the pay bump in part because he just closed a big merger merger with Medco this year. Anyways, his company employs 25,900 people, so his pay amounts to $1,988/year per employee, or an average of just under $1 per hour. Again, that's another company that I doubt employs a large percentage of the working poor.

So yeah, I fully agree that the message these CEO salaries send sux ass and that the comparisons make a great talking point, but apart from what the ownership of these various companies take in profit, the hired CEOs pay doesn't seem to be the big reason why labor rates in the U.S. are what they are.

Don't forget that many of the American CEOs oversee companies that do business, generate revenues and have employees worldwide, so dividing their income by only the number of U.S. workers gets real misleading real quickly. Moreover, big business these days frequently mark up the goods and services they sell that were actually produced on contract with other companies that have their own CEOs.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
VonMeister said:
hal9000 said:
VonMeister said:
I think more accurately, Mexicans would show up and take the jobs. Have you seen a construction site lately?

Isn't that already happening?
Golly, if there was only something we could do to protect workers from this phenomenon that is driving down wages.
and what would that something be? let me guess..... a wall.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
ifallalot said:
The interest rate hike is only something to stop the crisis we have now. I don't think its a great idea, especially since it gives banks more money but whatever we have going on right now isn't working. I admit this is only due to some things I've been reading and I'm not convinced.

However, that's the only thing you really refute me on. Everything else you just say durrrrrrrrr communism. The current market is NOT working, its time for drastic change

I agree that our government is corrupt, but ultimately trust should be in the government because they exist for the people, while moneyed interests exist for profit.
Good luck getting a government that truly "exist for the people". Do you not think the government needs to make a profit? How do you think they pay (which they are failing at that) for all the social programs we keep asking to increase on more generously each decade?

Profit is not "greed", unless it's grossly overt. Business needs the opportunity to grow, so they can hire more people. Stagnant growth, means no job AND no wage growth. It's the way capitalism works. The problem with capitalism, is that it needs morals to work properly. Most have a moral compass to some degree, but some don't and they should be punished for it. Can't throw out the baby with the stinky bathwater, though.

I'd rather trust honest, ethical run business, than money grubbing and wasteful spending government, ANY DAY.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Government does not create anything. Government basically has 3 ways to generate "income":

- taxes, user fees, fines and penalties
- bonds and other forms of borrowing and lending
- selling nationalized assets

Giving the state a monopoly over any form of commerce or service does not actually eliminate the costs of management; it only obscures those costs. Moreover, the costs for some services are commonly increased in order to pay for the costs of other services, in part to obscure the true costs of those other services.

That reallocation is neither inherently good nor evil, except to the extent that people take the budget info that's reported to them at face value under the assumption those are the *only* costs of those services.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
By the way, and timely to this discussion, this article just popped up at MSN.com. If true, I guess we can file these events under "too soon to tell" :

http://www.investors.com/news/economy/massachusetts-is-losing-jobs-with-10-minimum-wage/

Warning: Massachusetts Is Losing Jobs With $10 Minimum Wage

Before other states jump on the $15 minimum-wage bandwagon, they might want to look at what’s happening in Massachusetts — one of two states with a statewide $10-an-hour minimum.

The Bay State, which hiked its minimum wage from $8 to $9 at the start of 2015 and to $10 on the first day of 2016, is now mired in its longest stretch of net job losses since the recession in both the retail and the leisure and hospitality sectors, Labor Department data show.
While California also has a $10 minimum wage, a further hike to $11 an hour at the start of 2017 has long been anticipated by Massachusetts employers. By contrast, California quite suddenly and abruptly just voted to keep lifting its base wage, to $11 by 2018 and eventually to $15.

That means Massachusetts employers have had a longer time to weigh the consequences of a higher minimum wage and to begin adapting. Because of its early-mover status and its diverse economy and geography, Massachusetts may offer the best early evidence for assessing the experiment with high minimum wages.

D.C. Hourly Wage Hike Leads To Weekly Pay Cut

In contrast to the experience in Massachusetts, the higher D.C. minimum wage hasn’t stopped job growth in the retail or leisure and hospitality sectors, Labor Department data show.

While earlier figures had pointed to job losses, revisions to the data wiped those losses away. Yet a closer look reveals that the impact of the wage hikes may not be entirely benign after all. In the leisure and hospitality sector, the average workweek over the past year was 1.5 hours shorter than it was in 2013, a drop of 5%.

Here’s an even bigger shock: In this modest pay sector dominated by restaurants and hotels, the average weekly wage of $477.86 in February was actually down 8.3% from $521.29 in June 2014 — before the wage hikes began.

Though some of the data is subject to revision, it seems that the help of higher wages is being offset to a great extent by fewer hours of work and perhaps a leveling of pay scales, as jobs that used to pay far more than the minimum may no longer do so.