Help. What should I do with these? (garden/landscaping)

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
For the love of god please don’t plant bamboo
por que no?

Was planning on using slender weavers bamboo as a privacy screen along about a 75ft stretch of fence in my backyard. I need something slim that grows straight up about 15-25ft. Would do a row of trees as well but cant decide on what to plant.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
my street has a lot of these. but only a couple placed decoratively per yard. not a forest.

my dog loves to pee on them.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
They are invasive as all hell and grow via stolons and seed. It becomes a battle to control and root barriers are temporary. Also a significant ecological impact.

unless you can sort a native variety I’d look at other options.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
They are invasive as all hell and grow via stolons and seed. It becomes a battle to control and root barriers are temporary. Also a significant ecological impact.

unless you can sort a native variety I’d look at other options.
In a yard I agree. We have Carrizo, which is similar but doesn’t have near the strength and resistance. It works for fence material, doesn’t pass the test of time, but keeps the neighbors 100 head of cattle out.

There are iguanas that live in there, up to two meters. Other stuff too, esnakes.

I really want to get my hands on some construction grade stuff, real bamboo, and we have a spot that would hold a good bunch without being invasive on anything, at least in my lifetime.

I saw ten levels of bamboo scaffolding in Suzhou, China, blew my mind.

My buddy Mikie, buried in front of the house, planted a shitload of Carrizo that took two major backhoe digs to get rid of. Like mbp says, it’s the gift that keeps on giving.

Anyone have a photo of BaliIdigt’s monkey house?

Hey boner, tear that trash out and put in a greenhouse and grow weed. No seas pendejo. What could go wrong?

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Go to a equipment rental place that has / might have a mulcher with a chute and crush it all and reuse the mulch in your new "yard" / open space. Or sell the mulch ......
Your "rock art" can go anywhere and not be hidden anymore ....

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
mulch it like PPK said.

bamboo is a nightmare. use a stump grinder to like 3.5 ft deep is best way to control and even eradicate. or have 4 kids and train them to kick over the new shoots in the spring and late fall.

many landscaping places have a recycling place for used pots. grab'm for free, pot em up and sell em.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Bamboo ... can and will, get out of hand if ya don't stay on it and the phuggin rootballs only get removed by an excavator ... maybe a backhoe, but the guy that bought the house below me, removed all the bamboo on his / my property line by an excavator and just tore out chunks of dirt from my side which was fine by me. It cost him over a hundred thousand ($100,000) to do it, excavator plus trucking it out on Big trucks.

BEFORE ~

Bamboo Sucks.jpg

AFTER ~

Back yard .jpg

I got tired of raking the bamboo leaves up and just quit doing the back yard. New owner came along below me & was told about "his responsibility and liability" and promptly took action. I have a nice view, tradewinds through my house and a sunrise in the AM hours.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
So is the clumping vs running thing about bamboo just not true at all? They all kind of take over one way or another?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
So is the clumping vs running thing about bamboo just not true at all? They all kind of take over one way or another?
IIRC there’s both kinds. The clumping kind slower than the runners, but left unattended in the right environment both kinds throw out shoots. Agave too, same same.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
So, what did you end up doing?
I worked my ass off to plant a ton of them in the back yard, taking up a ton of space.
Then, I found out that no one wants them, even for free, so I did nothing for months and months.
Then, a friend loaned my a trailer last weekend. This is about 1/2 of one load. Still more to go...
IMG_8618.jpg

Reactions: Mr Doof