Help. What should I do with these? (garden/landscaping)

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I'm a total newb and have been ripping apart my backyard to get more space. What should I do with all these agave?
Would people or landscaping companies want them right now? I really just want them out. This pic is everything I've transplanted, and that's only around 10% of what I have. The big one in the center is about 3.5' tall.
Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 7.34.40 PM.png

Should I save and transplant all these little and medium ones? Are those desirable?
Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 7.37.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 7.37.32 PM.png

Grateful for any advice. For your troubles......
Nctnk2o.jpg

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Are those the agave with the wicked 2-inch needle on the end? I like the look but was always afraid one of the kids would get impaled if I planted one. Anyway, shovel them into some boxes, root ball intact, and throw them onto CL Free, curb alert. They'll get gone.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Are those the agave with the wicked 2-inch needle on the end? I like the look but was always afraid one of the kids would get impaled if I planted one. Anyway, shovel them into some boxes, root ball intact, and throw them onto CL Free, curb alert. They'll get gone.
No, they are the kind with no sharp points anywhere.
CL free curb side is a good idea.

Unfortunately, they have no root ball because they all came from a fvcking giant overgrown for 20-years clump.
Here it is before:
Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 8.34.32 PM.png

Here it is after:
Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 8.35.00 PM.png

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
1 Get a bunch of cheap plastic pots (in free section of Craigslist)
2 Transplant them into pots.
3 Sell for $$$ on Craigslist (or $5 per)
^^^This^^^

My buddy that used to live up Glen Annie had a ton of agave around his property, he got a bunch of free 2 gal used pots and potted them up and put them on CL for $15 ea.
Some lady from Visalia came down and took 50 of 'em. He ended up selling all of them (over a 100) in a couple of weeks.
The only problem with you is you're getting rid of 'em for more space, where you gonna put the potted agave? (shrug)

Reactions: Boneroni

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
^^^This^^^

My buddy that used to live up Glen Annie had a ton of agave around his property, he got a bunch of free 2 gal used pots and potted them up and put them on CL for $15 ea.
Some lady from Visalia came down and took 50 of 'em. He ended up selling all of them (over a 100) in a couple of weeks.
The only problem with you is you're getting rid of 'em for more space, where you gonna put the potted agave? (shrug)
And it's not the ideal time for CL sales I'd think...

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
And it's not the ideal time for CL sales I'd think...
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Having people come into my backyard and pick stuff out is a non starter right now.

My thought right now is I'll make an Agave venmo and paypal acct, put a bunch out on the curb in pots with a sign that says something like "Free. Take what you need. text xxx-xxxx if you want more"

Then I can just coordinate by text and leave them out at a specified time. Like you said Steve, I'm running out of room to put the transplanted ones.

Reactions: Driftcoast

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
my friends own a plant nursery in venice

if you're in the LA area and they want them, I'd truck them out....

I ripped out a bunch of succulents to put tomatoes in and I just
dumped them in their backyard....they pot them up and gave
them to customers

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
my friends own a plant nursery in venice

if you're in the LA area and they want them, I'd truck them out....

I ripped out a bunch of succulents to put tomatoes in and I just
dumped them in their backyard....they pot them up and gave
them to customers
That's nice of you, but I'm in SB.

And, I'm sorry to disappoint, but the cat in my OP was not mine.
My cat, on the other hand, brought us a full grown easter bunny this week. It was half alive and I had to kill it with a shovel. I'm shocked at how difficult it was to kill. Kinda fvcking traumatic actually

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
That's nice of you, but I'm in SB.

And, I'm sorry to disappoint, but the cat in my OP was not mine.
My cat, on the other hand, brought us a full grown easter bunny this week. It was half alive and I had to kill it with a shovel. I'm shocked at how difficult it was to kill. Kinda fvcking traumatic actually
I hope you ate it anyway. Rabbit is very tasty.

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Agave attenuata...not rare, but still desirable in the modern landscape...Maybe San Marcos Growers would want them...?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
My dad gives the bigger ones to his gardener and the gardener sells them to nurseries or other places for $50-100.