Head on collision yesterday

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
North of 198? All of 41 in the valley sucks, but I absolutely loathe the Cholame to Kettlemen stretch in particular.
Yes north of 198 cross.

My parents lived inland near Fresno so I've traveled the stretch about 1000x too many. I've seen multiple death collisions over the years, including the much talked Lexus crash. Happened on 41 just west of Cholame near the now-built rest stop. I pulled up as the first CHP had just pulled up and was literally running to place yellow tarps over the bodies as the Lexus burned to the ground. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1999-apr-28-mn-31895-story.html

Saw another at Kettlemen coming into town at that stoplight right before you cross under I5. Small pick up on 41 slammed into the back of a semi at the stop light and went underneath it, smashing the driver like a watermelon. Again, pulled up to that just as fire trucks were puling up.

Also seen a few head ons, people losing control and fishtailing off the shoulder into fields, etc. Countless amount of dumb fucks trying to pass others on the single lane stretches, so they can get a few seconds ahead. Had a few close calls myself. Only the one head-on for me though.

They been working for 10+ years to double-lane the entire stretch and put up a ton of concrete dividers. Huge construction happening at Cholame right now.

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I went foiling today and felt pretty good considering. A little stiffness in the neck and overall body is pretty sore too.

Who would you see to be checked out? A chriropractor? I'm not really a doctor person and have never been to a chiropractor. But if I'm still sore in a day or two maybe I should.

Driver was a landscape guy, looking at his buddy's phone when it happened. The owner of the company showed up and turns out the vehicle is uninsured and expired registration. He's promised to pay almost blue book value. I'm pushing on him for the entire kbb value. We'll see.

Going to cost a lot more to replace it with something similar with the price of used trucks these days. Pretty set on another 2nd gen access cab 4x4. This one was manual and 4 cylinder. Pretty sweet little island rig. Will be tough to find one like that again.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I should add,

the lawyer said I should go to hospital no matter how I feel because

A: could have internal injuries I'm not aware of
B: more compensation if you're not at fault

Reactions: santacruzin

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Wow tang, that's heavy! You could've been immediately maimed, or worse.

Please go get some xrays and scans. Then, you can surf and foil without worry of aggrevating an invisible injury.

Best of luck.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I went foiling today and felt pretty good considering. A little stiffness in the neck and overall body is pretty sore too.

Who would you see to be checked out? A chriropractor? I'm not really a doctor person and have never been to a chiropractor. But if I'm still sore in a day or two maybe I should.

Driver was a landscape guy, looking at his buddy's phone when it happened. The owner of the company showed up and turns out the vehicle is uninsured and expired registration. He's promised to pay almost blue book value. I'm pushing on him for the entire kbb value. We'll see.

Going to cost a lot more to replace it with something similar with the price of used trucks these days. Pretty set on another 2nd gen access cab 4x4. This one was manual and 4 cylinder. Pretty sweet little island rig. Will be tough to find one like that again.

1 Not a chiropractor. If things get worse, insurance will get involved, and I think they have a bias for "mainstream medical care". Yeah yeah, I know, but the system is what it is.

2 Uninsured driver? You probably have an 'uninsured driver' rider on your insurance (don't tell me you don't have insurance). If you have the rider, well, you pay for it, use it.

3 I get not wanting to f over a landscape company, but if they don't have car insurance, well, that wreck had cops show up (right?), so they're going to get it no matter what. Less than blue book value is some sort of compromise for what?

Reactions: Boneroni

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
See a regular Dr. They'll take your blood pressure, and other basic tests, make sure nothing out of whack. Hopefully send you for some scans.

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Quick update guys. I ended up not seeing a doctor, feeling pretty much 100%.

I don't have medical insurance due to being a small business owner so opted to not see a dr. This is changing soon, I was recruited by the company I used to work for to come back. My boss resigned so it will be a promotion of sorts. I will be going back to having full benefits which will be nice and of course a pay raise from where I was at a little over a year ago.

The guy who owns the truck (not the driver) paid me out in cash $12K!

So looks like I'm going taco shopping soon. Found a nice one in FL. 2008 4x4 manual, with only 78k. Gonna try and jump on it.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Quick update guys. I ended up not seeing a doctor, feeling pretty much 100%.

I don't have medical insurance due to being a small business owner so opted to not see a dr. This is changing soon, I was recruited by the company I used to work for to come back. My boss resigned so it will be a promotion of sorts. I will be going back to having full benefits which will be nice and of course a pay raise from where I was at a little over a year ago.

The guy who owns the truck (not the driver) paid me out in cash $12K!

So looks like I'm going taco shopping soon. Found a nice one in FL. 2008 4x4 manual, with only 78k. Gonna try and jump on it.
glad to hear you're doing okay Tang.

a 4x4 taco with 78k miles here in Oregon would be like 20k.