Head on collision yesterday

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Well this was pretty heavy situation. Never been in something like this. My Tacoma is done but luckily I walked away with just some whiplash.

We drive on the left here. Was coming up on a corner and this Dodge Ram was coming at me in my lane.

You never know when its your time. I'm thankful for life.

Thought I would share this since we just lost GG in an accident and this is a special place. I usually check it on the daily. Aloha ERBB friends.

Attachments

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
quite gnarly - one of the best reasons to buy a Toyota is being able to walk away from something like that. can see the airbag on the driver's side, probably more than one deployed.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Glad you're ok!

I also got in head collision about 15yr ago on highway 41, in my Tacoma. Guy fell asleep and crossed into my lane and we were both doing 50. I had about 0.00001 second to react and turned just enough to flip over his lowered Silverado and roll down the road. Entire rear axel broke off, and glass flying everywhere. It was wild. Only alive because I angled enough that caused my truck to end up in a dirt field and on the last rollover, my head flopped left out the broken window and hit soft dirt instead of pavement.

Took me about a month before I could drive without fear again. I hugged the white line on any road over 30mph. Hopefully you don't have the same feelings I had in wanting to kill the other driver. My adrenaline was like I had never felt before.

Also, a lawyer told me I made big mistake refusing ambulance ride, despite my head bleeding. They treated me on the spot. Guy didn't have insurance anyway so didn't matter.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Glad you are good Tang and that your family wasn’t in the car with you (or they were and are ok, making an assumption). Crazy how we worry about dying in all kinds of obscure ways, when in reality driving is by far the most dangerous thing most of us do. Sucks to lose a bad ass vehicle but you can’t replace your health or your family.

@r32 where exactly on 41?

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
When I first moved to NZ learning to drive on the wrong side of the road was disorientating. Once with a group of fellow workers, Pau Hana, tanked off our asses, in my car, me driving, made a left hand turn into a busy blvd (probably two lanes only each side) going the wrong way at night. Oh did the boys scream like a bunch of frightened Boars! Luckily I was able to navigate a 180 terribly quick. It wasn't the first time I found myself casually tooling down the wrong side of the road there.

• Haha
Reactions: TangTonic

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Glad you are good Tang and that your family wasn’t in the car with you (or they were and are ok, making an assumption). Crazy how we worry about dying in all kinds of obscure ways, when in reality driving is by far the most dangerous thing most of us do. Sucks to lose a bad ass vehicle but you can’t replace your health or your family.

@r32 where exactly on 41?
About 14 miles west of Fresno.

Sun was about 30m from setting and lots of cars going both directions. Small car in front of me slammed on his brakes and swerved into a dirt field, and that's when I realized I was looking right into front grill of the guys truck and had split second to make a decision.

• Wow
Reactions: grapedrink

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
quick Toyota crash tale: coworker of mine owns a Prius and also happens to be a complete 2A gun nut. he gets hit by a guy in a truck going 45 mph, completely T-boned, all 14 airbugs go off....all of which happens right in front of an off-duty cop. Coworker told me later that he was sitting there in the car by the side of the road in the wreckage in a daze, and when the off-duty cop opened his door through the fog of airbag smoke, his first thought was, "wow, this must be heaven - it's open carry!" :roflmao:

and he walked away with no injuries - if that sh!t's gonna happen, would rather be in a Toyota :cheers:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
About 14 miles west of Fresno.

Sun was about 30m from setting and lots of cars going both directions. Small car in front of me slammed on his brakes and swerved into a dirt field, and that's when I realized I was looking right into front grill of the guys truck and had split second to make a decision.
North of 198? All of 41 in the valley sucks, but I absolutely loathe the Cholame to Kettlemen stretch in particular.

Reactions: enframed

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Well this was pretty heavy situation. Never been in something like this. My Tacoma is done but luckily I walked away with just some whiplash.

We drive on the left here. Was coming up on a corner and this Dodge Ram was coming at me in my lane.

You never know when its your time. I'm thankful for life.

Thought I would share this since we just lost GG in an accident and this is a special place. I usually check it on the daily. Aloha ERBB friends.
Saw this on your insta story. So glad everyone was ok

i have been in 5 major accidents. Felt fine after them all, 2 of them I had major injuries a few days later. Best to get checked out just in case.

be safe everyone