HBO - The Last of Us

Jan 8, 2023
I find the show to be solid. I mean it has no big flaws other than I guess the technical ones people mention. It doesn't get me as hyped as the other shows I've seen recently but it is nice at least that the vast majority of people are able to simply enjoy it together without an aggressive campaign to bully people into hating it.

Reactions: brukuns

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
one of the things that comes up when we watch the show is: if there's a zombie apocalypse, my wife wants to go quickly, doesn't want to be a warrior or survivalist, whereas i want to be last man standing. maybe not want to be but have a weird visceral drive.

anyone else have the discussion?

Reactions: Joshua2415

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I haven't read the previous posts, but my tl/dr take on the show is

-It's fine. I'll finish it. It's a guilty pleasure for folding clothes and/or eating ice cream after the family goes to sleep.

- Apart from the premise of how the global warming fueled, undead mushroom apocalypse came into being, it's pretty standard zombie fare. Zombie apocalypse event, monsters terrorize the living, only for the survivors to realize that they are the monsters. It's decently acted with good effects. I don't really buy Ellie. She just feels like she's trying too hard. Maybe it's the accent, but she just seems like she acting really hard.

Pascal is fine. A bit wooden, but I get that he's trying to be all stoic to protect himself.

The romantic tension with the kids was too long and overplayed.

The Fedra vs Fireflies has kind of fallen flat, which I sort of understand outside of the QZ, but why is everyone able to organize over radio except the federal govt? Characters representing either party aren't given enough screen time to push that narrative very far. Now it just feels like the storyline is falling into the pitfalls of a gaming narrative. Protagonists show small internal conflicts, insert new antagonist, antagonists is overcome within the episode, keep walking. It's a really long version of The Road, or a shorter, colder "Walking Dead". But at least TWD had the whole who's the real baby daddy tension to establish fallibility in the heroes.

Not a zombie series, but for what it's worth, I really liked the fresh take that Station 11 offered for apocalyptic storytelling.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Everything depends on how they'll handle the impact of the finale. For a game I can say it was pretty memorable... let's see if it holds up as a HBO show.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Everything depends on how they'll handle the impact of the finale. For a game I can say it was pretty memorable... let's see if it holds up as a HBO show.
im wondering if theyll split it up and save some of the end of the game for season 2. if the next episode is the finale - seems like itd be pretty quick to get ot the end of the first game. on the other hand - what else can they do - wander more woods, beat more zombies/outlaws.. i dunno - could get boring if they stretch it out.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I haven't read the previous posts, but my tl/dr take on the show is

-It's fine. I'll finish it. It's a guilty pleasure for folding clothes and/or eating ice cream after the family goes to sleep.

- Apart from the premise of how the global warming fueled, undead mushroom apocalypse came into being, it's pretty standard zombie fare. Zombie apocalypse event, monsters terrorize the living, only for the survivors to realize that they are the monsters. It's decently acted with good effects. I don't really buy Ellie. She just feels like she's trying too hard. Maybe it's the accent, but she just seems like she acting really hard.

Pascal is fine. A bit wooden, but I get that he's trying to be all stoic to protect himself.

The romantic tension with the kids was too long and overplayed.

The Fedra vs Fireflies has kind of fallen flat, which I sort of understand outside of the QZ, but why is everyone able to organize over radio except the federal govt? Characters representing either party aren't given enough screen time to push that narrative very far. Now it just feels like the storyline is falling into the pitfalls of a gaming narrative. Protagonists show small internal conflicts, insert new antagonist, antagonists is overcome within the episode, keep walking. It's a really long version of The Road, or a shorter, colder "Walking Dead". But at least TWD had the whole who's the real baby daddy tension to establish fallibility in the heroes.

Not a zombie series, but for what it's worth, I really liked the fresh take that Station 11 offered for apocalyptic storytelling.
Yes, all of this. Station 11 was good.

The Leftovers is also great apocalyptic (sort of), with magical realism. IMO a little better than Station 11.

Reactions: Brsnstein

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
The Leftovers didn’t seem to get the props it deserved. Season one was fine, but seasons two and three were up there with hbo’s finest

Reactions: enframed

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Yes, all of this. Station 11 was good.

The Leftovers is also great apocalyptic (sort of), with magical realism. IMO a little better than Station 11.
I really liked the Leftovers as well. I think I failed to finish the final 10 minutes about 5 times.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
There's a British show called Eastenders that my wife and I have been watching for 30 years. Every now and then there is an episode with really just two characters - they will be resolving some sort of conflict with each other and 15 min into a 30 min episode you'll realize that's all you're getting and it's a bit boring. Having seen them do that so many times I began to wonder if it was a budget thing to close a budget gap or maybe let a lot of cast off on vacation. The episode of The Last of Us with the two girls in the mall reminded me of that. My wife and I were joking "Yeah, just one cameraman too!".

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
so shes immune, but can she really infect others with a bite?

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
There's a British show called Eastenders that my wife and I have been watching for 30 years. Every now and then there is an episode with really just two characters - they will be resolving some sort of conflict with each other and 15 min into a 30 min episode you'll realize that's all you're getting and it's a bit boring. Having seen them do that so many times I began to wonder if it was a budget thing to close a budget gap or maybe let a lot of cast off on vacation. The episode of The Last of Us with the two girls in the mall reminded me of that. My wife and I were joking "Yeah, just one cameraman too!".
These are referred to as "bottle episodes" and they are 99% due to budget stuff. I think the mall episode of Last of Us was just a creative choice on the part of the writers, because there is no way dressing that mall was cheap.

Reactions: PJ

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
These are referred to as "bottle episodes" and they are 99% due to budget stuff. I think the mall episode of Last of Us was just a creative choice on the part of the writers, because there is no way dressing that mall was cheap.

I think they work well when the characters are then integrated into the larger plot and conflicts. They feel kind of disposable when an entire arc is collapsed by the end of the episode.

Reactions: youcantbeserious

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Meh...

It wasn't bad... but wasn't good either.

By barely showing any infected during the entire season, IMO the importance of a possible cure is lessened, making the whole thing less impactful. It's a shame too because when the infected popped up, they looked freaking amazing, specially the clickers.

Oh well... I guess it could have been worse.

Curiosity... The actress playing the mom in the beginning of last night's episode voices Ellie in the games (it was weird listening to her). And Marlene actress voices... Marlene. Also on the previous episode the baddies' right hand (the one with a beanie) is Troy Baker, he voices Joel.