Hawaii- Done

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Are these programs impacted and did a local kid get denied a seat? If not, what's you problem? If so, I see your point. Do some research and let us know if this guys kids have displaced any locals for a seat. If he has then in my opinion, you have a right to be peeved. If they haven't what's your beef?
Yes. That is why I am peeved.

His kid attending there is taking a seat from a local.

The program is very competitive to get into.

Reactions: npsp

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Yes. That is why I am peeved.

His kid attending there is taking a seat from a local.

The program is very competitive to get into.
Then yes, you guys should be peeved.
Unfortunately, as noted in previous posts in this thread, the school, because it is a public school, cannot deny non-Hawaiian / Pacific Island kids admission via application if they want to receive State and Federal funding.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I think it's a great idea, and judging by the Hawaiian guy (wish I could remember his name) I just mentioned who's a Kamehameha graduate, it must be quality education. He's an impressive fellow.
was it this guy?
I went to school with him and his brother's a classmate
I think he's Dennis Kamakahi's classmate

or maybe aunty Nona's grandson?

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
About six years ago my wife got a job at a private school on Kauai and I recall one of her colleagues, a very knowledgeable Hawaiian guy who has some position at UH, mentioning that there was no shortage of teachers. Recruting teachers from the mainland is sometimes strategic.
Maybe on Kauai since there are so few schools. Oahu has a major need for qualified teachers. Mainland teachers would be able to pay their airfare, moving cost, rent, and a few milks and peanut butters on their take home yearly salary. Maybe private schools could get mainland teachers, but experienced ones would be taking a pay cut.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
was it this guy?
I went to school with him and his brother's a classmate
I think he's Dennis Kamakahi's classmate

or maybe aunty Nona's grandson?

No, he's a big guy, has a brother who lives in Kilauea. Only met him once at a dinner party.

Just asked my wife and she said his first name is Shawn.

He was a consultant or helped to develop curriculum for Pu'ukumu School in Kilauea.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Maybe on Kauai since there are so few schools. Oahu has a major need for qualified teachers. Mainland teachers would be able to pay their airfare, moving cost, rent, and a few milks and peanut butters on their take home yearly salary. Maybe private schools could get mainland teachers, but experienced ones would be taking a pay cut.

This.

Their pay is garbage and their union sucks at negotiating and they have terrible benefits.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
No, locals with that kind of attitude are rare, at least in my experience, most are very warm, and you can get by with the rare cases if you're chill and respectful.
It happens to stupid people.

Not often. But often enough people know better.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
good stuff about the benefits of being in tune with the aina, ocean and sky. The concept of an ahupua'a (integrated ecology). Real life aboriginal knowledge, not theoretical book knowledge

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
No, locals with that kind of attitude are rare, at least in my experience, most are very warm, and you can get by with the rare cases if you're chill and respectful.
It is prevalent in schools. Most adults have enough problems to deal with that they don't need to slap around a transplant unless they're doing something really stupid.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It is prevalent in schools. Most adults have enough problems to deal with that they don't need to slap around a transplant unless they're doing something really stupid.
This is the entire market for charter schools: "public" schools where UMC kids won't get slapped-around and will learn something. The schools cannot discriminate so any kid of any background whose parents can do paperwork can attend.

Oneula mentioned some financial chicanery by charter schools, but I'm willing to bet a lot of money it pales in comparison to the waste, fraud, and abuse in the regular public school system.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
This is the entire market for charter schools: "public" schools where UMC kids won't get slapped-around and will learn something. The schools cannot discriminate so any kid of any background whose parents can do paperwork can attend.

Oneula mentioned some financial chicanery by charter schools, but I'm willing to bet a lot of money it pales in comparison to the waste, fraud, and abuse in the regular public school system.
I'm not familiar with "UMC"?

But, you're spot on. The DOE in Hawaii is rampant with problems. Take a look at all the high paid administrators and see how many of them send their kids to public schools.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm not familiar with "UMC"?

But, you're spot on. The DOE in Hawaii is rampant with problems. Take a look at all the high paid administrators and see how many of them send their kids to public schools.
"upper middle class."

We did a charter school/homeschool this year. Night-and-day difference from the regular public school. We're doing a private Christian school next year since the attack on charter schools is really picking up and public money to serve underserved markets always has outrageous strings attached.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
About six years ago my wife got a job at a private school on Kauai and I recall one of her colleagues, a very knowledgeable Hawaiian guy who has some position at UH, mentioning that there was no shortage of teachers. Recruting teachers from the mainland is sometimes strategic.
lol wut

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Speaking of public / private schools I heard or read that there's a Federal child tax credit under Covid of about $800 a month for a family with 3 grade school aged children and that the Biden administration wants to make that permanent. I was thinking - could that be like a stealth private school tax credit? It works out to $3,200 per year per child which sounds like the amount I've heard proposed before. I just looked and Catholic school K through 8 tuition near me is $5,800 with a $1,000 discount for some families - probably needs-based. $3,200 would help substantially with that.