Hawaii- Done

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The value of property here has gone from 4$/sq meter to over a cnote since 1997. Totally unimproved. We went for close to 20 years with no neighbors within 7 clicks (with the exception of the resident narco patrol from the other side of the river). Nobody else lived out here, everyone that showed up was a visitor that had to drive an hour from either Lázaro or Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo. And they were packed up and gone by noon.

Our original intention was to have a place at the beach with decent waves with enough space for the ohana, got a gang here right now. For the children. And grandchildren. Friends too.

What the kids, grandkids will do is up to them, it’s a done deal for me, I got mine. I’d hope they’d recognize that some things can’t be replaced, but in this changed world they’re gonna do what they do.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
state up to almost 70 % of pre covid level daily arrivals and restaurants are either closed or are at 30% capacity. That coupled with a nationwide shortage in rental cars has turned spring break into a Tourist hunger games and it's kinda hilarious.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Curious, where did your friend move from and when did he move to Bend? Moved from Oahu to Bend 5 years ago. Lived most of my life on Oahu, went to school at UCSB, and lived in SF for 5 years. It really depends on the person's view of insane and sh!tshow, I guess. Coming from Oahu, and compared to SF, Bend is still empty. 1/100 of the traffic. I can drive 20-30 minutes in any direction, and hike rivers and waterfalls without seeing anyone. Relative to other places I've lived, Bend is not super expensive.

Not making any statement, just find how differently people can view their situation fascinating. I always ask people who complain about Bend whether they would live here now, or back in the days when meth and logging were the only game in town to support yourself.
He came from Oahu. Think cause he been there so long he views it as crowded now.

Reactions: HarryLopez2

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
state up to almost 70 % of pre covid level daily arrivals and restaurants are either closed or are at 30% capacity. That coupled with a nationwide shortage in rental cars has turned spring break into a Tourist hunger games and it's kinda hilarious.
Saw a bunch of them at the bus stop. Must be why.

Honestly- I now live where I can walk everywhere and am not dependent on a car. Since then qol has improved ten fold. No need to drive and sit through tourist traffic to do anything. Just put on my slippers walk out my door and stroll to the grocery store or bar or gym.

Sure paying a HOA isn't fun but the alternative of sitting in traffic just to go get beer and some dinner is so unappealing to me.

The change in the windward side of Oahu is going to happen one way or another. The 1990s of private beaches and beautiful scenery is long gone. I am just happy I got experience it when I did.

Also I think everyone has a price for their home. I have a nice home that I rent out walking distance to Kailua beach. And I think if some chump offered me enough I would prob lol and take it and go buy in oregon.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
been coming to Bend for 30 years, now live here. Is it more crowded then 30 years ago? Yep. Is it a sh!t show? Hardly. Friendly town to live in, every recreation under the sun on tap other than surfing, which is either a drive west or an airplane ride 25 mins north.

Here's the deal...8 BILLION people on this shrinking rock...they all gotta live somewhere, and a lot of them with fat techie bank can do it where they want.

Sooo...accept it for what it is, be in the place that works best for you and make your stand...think it's bad now, give it another decade or two...you'll be calling this the good old days
Snatch yours while the snatching is good

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
In 1972 I was 17 years old when I moved to Laguna. I got a job washing dishes at the Cottage Restaurant. The guy I replaced had just quit, cashed his check and bought a one way ticket to Hawaii (that left him around $10 for living expenses). See ya later.

Personally, if you grew up there and want to surf, the 808 would be very difficult to put in the rear view mirror. The opportunity to surf both consistently and with occasional other world surf would just be too strong for me. Move when you quit surfing, with the exception of Steamroller who seems to have adapted, get it while you can.

Post pictures too! (Unless it’s a secret spot).

Thanks sponge, you’re large!

Reactions: sponge

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Why do people who don't go into the ocean insist on vacationing next to it? I don't understand the mindset of a person who doesn't want to surf, but does want to go to Hawaii. Or coastal California, for that matter. What is the great draw of standing in sand, looking out over water, and why can the same thing not be achieved at a corn field?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Why do people who don't go into the ocean insist on vacationing next to it? I don't understand the mindset of a person who doesn't want to surf, but does want to go to Hawaii. Or coastal California, for that matter. What is the great draw of standing in sand, looking out over water, and why can the same thing not be achieved at a corn field?
Would you rather walk your dog on a beach or in a corn field?

Would you rather puff a fattie or drink a beer on the beach or in a corn field?

Would you rather have sexual intercoitus on the beach or in a corn field?

etc etc

Reactions: bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Cause people want to explore what they don't know.

Same reason I go to the mountains on vacation.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah I will eventually see more of the great non surfing parts of the world, and you gotta have some priorities (and the means) to take nice trips to Germany or Greece or wherever. but in this life you make hay while the sun is shining. And it’s just so NICE returning to Kauai or Nica and surfing great waves (even Waves of consequence) :roflmao: and seeing friends etc. but there is definitely a big world out there to see, and it can’t all be surf centered. Luckily they often go hand in hand :shaka:

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
I got a time planned to quit surfing and allow myself to live and enjoy other parts of the world

but not today

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Would you rather walk your dog on a beach or in a corn field?

Would you rather puff a fattie or drink a beer on the beach or in a corn field?

Would you rather have sexual intercoitus on the beach or in a corn field?

etc etc
Corn field. Walking the dog would be easier than in sand. Wind will be less of a problem for joint smoking. I don't even need to tell you why corn field sex beats sandy beach sex.
I've never been to a corn field, but I do eat a lot of corn chips, so I can imagine.

• Dislike
Reactions: grapedrink

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
I thought I saw stories about rental cars parked in cane field cause no one was using em. What happened? Thinking about visiting the parents this summer and hope can get a vehicle. If not, gotta get a friends possibly unreliable wheels. :poop:

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
All I got from Little Rock was a ziploc bag of squirrel tails and a
‘Tell you what boy’:roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
My primary ambition is to be able to support myself and all my needs waiting tables two nights a week. It freaks out all the white people I work with.
4 days a week I think would be better. More $$$'s in the pocket
I'd go for Fayetteville over Little Rock any day.

Nashville's done

Helen, GA getting blown up

Next up, Knoxville and Chattanooga?
Oakridge ~ home of the A bomb.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I thought I saw stories about rental cars parked in cane field cause no one was using em. What happened? Thinking about visiting the parents this summer and hope can get a vehicle. If not, gotta get a friends possibly unreliable wheels. :poop:
Fasi’s limo will get you most places as long as you don’t mind crackheads and waiting 3 hours

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I think it’s the vastness

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Fasi’s limo will get you most places as long as you don’t mind crackheads and waiting 3 hours
3rd grade, started riding Da Bust from school to my dad's office near Ala Moana. Riding up front with the old Japanese ladies so as not to get slapped around by the locals in the back.

Reactions: bluemarlin04