Having the hardest time trying to get boards right now

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
3+ month wait times on customs, shops with no stock for anyone over 5 foot 2 125lbs, even calling directly and asking Chanel Islands where I could find a stock two happy over 6'0 anywhere in California got me a "sorry, can't help you". So, wtf?? What does a guy have to do to get a fvcking surfboard in this state? I don't want a GD tomo, or a slater thing. Local shapers in SLO area are not my cup of tea. Has anyone seen a Chilli? I'll drive 6 hours for a rarest bird, hot knife, or bv2 over tiny guy size, and a man sized CI 2 happy or Driver2. I've never experienced this, it is weird to feel like I'm bothering people by trying to buy a thousand dollar piece of foam and fiberglass.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
H hear ya Cheese. My San Diego shaper recently cranked out a board for me and colored it quick... I went epoxy and it's gonna be a few months easy to get it glassed. First world problems yo. If I woulda went PU, I woulda had it made in the shade.

3+ month wait times on customs, shops with no stock for anyone over 5 foot 2 125lbs, even calling directly and asking Chanel Islands where I could find a stock two happy over 6'0 anywhere in California got me a "sorry, can't help you". So, wtf?? What does a guy have to do to get a fvcking surfboard in this state? I don't want a GD tomo, or a slater thing. Local shapers in SLO area are not my cup of tea. Has anyone seen a Chilli? I'll drive 6 hours for a rarest bird, hot knife, or bv2 over tiny guy size, and a man sized CI 2 happy or Driver2. I've never experienced this, it is weird to feel like I'm bothering people by trying to buy a thousand dollar piece of foam and fiberglass.

Reactions: stringcheese

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
3+ month wait times on customs, shops with no stock for anyone over 5 foot 2 125lbs, even calling directly and asking Chanel Islands where I could find a stock two happy over 6'0 anywhere in California got me a "sorry, can't help you". .

looks like they have a tiny selection with a few oversized boards

maybe contact some shops up and down the coast and ask for their stocklist and try to get them to sell you a boar

been outside the US for the majority of the past two years and don't know what the current board shortage is like back there, seems like there's plenty to go around down here :cry:

Last edited:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
yep. called them, talked to marcio (dunno if that is normal) about dims and then placed an order online. they emailed me later that day confirming dims and giving me a 5-7 week build time estimate. it was done right around 5 weeks and shipped to my place a few days later.
have been eyeing a few of their models, sounds like they'll be receiving an order :cheers:

Reactions: Aruka

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I'll call sharp eye, thanks. Any tips on where to look around for something off the rack? 5'11 170 I don't need anything crazy dims, just a regular extra medium dude surfing regular waves.
Checking out Kazuma, thank you marlin.

Edit: have called lots of surf shops. Most of the kids answering these phones...I don't know if I blame the parents, but somebody messed up somewhere along the line.

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017

looks like they have a tiny selection with a few oversized boards

maybe contact some shops up and down the coast and ask for their stocklist and try to get them to sell you a boar

been outside the US for the majority of the past two years and don't know what the current board shortage is like back there, seems like there's plenty to go around down here :cry:

Paul at Chilli has been super cool and gets back to me every time I ask for something they don't have and can't find :LOL:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
1st whirled problemas mucho?

C!

100%, but those are my only problems. Life is great. Riding the 6'0 tombstone DRad Pismo special that I've shared pictures of here in any kind if steep waves is...not always great. *shrug emoji* I want to buy a couple boards, cash, on Thursday, from somewhere in California. That is my first world quest.

Reactions: Mr J

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Have you tried JS's spot in Oceanside?

Looks like they have some PU Monstabox's in stock that would work for a 5-11 x 170lb. person.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Noticed these yesterday.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
All good ideas, you all are better at this than I am. If I don't find exactly what I have in my mind I'm all "well fvck it then, this is some bullshlt, I want exactly what I want and without compromise" :monkey:
That thinking used to come with a 4-6 week tag on it(like Aruka is saying for sharp eye, awesome) and early calls to come pick up. Then again, I used to live in(literally) a surf shop, and the whole world wasn't handicapped from doing business because of people potentially getting sick. Che sera, sera. Diving into Craigslist until Thursday, then driving to Chilli in Torrance and wherever my feet take me, I'll post what I pick up. Thanks again everyone!

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
It seems the bodyboard world is experiencing the same thing. The stock available on eBodyBoarding.com is a lot less then what it usually would be. I've always gotten my boards direcetly from CustomX. I'd usually send them an email and most of the time they had a board being shipped the next day. Last year they started experiencing material shortages and it took just over a month to get one. I shot them an email couple weeks ago to order a board and the reply was the are putting me in the production line and it will be around 6-8 weeks. Dont take this as a complaint for like y'all said, 1st world problems and I've loved every board I have gotten from them.

On the bright side theres a fella in my area that has recently gotten into making custom bodyboards so figured this was a good time to give him a try. Met him 2 weeks ago to place my order and picking the board up this afternoon. The pictures he's been sending me look good and should be able to test it in some juice later this week thanks to Larry.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
hit up kazuma. u can get a board in 1 week flat right now.