Greg Griffin and Futures fins

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
i know it exists...but ive had many, many boards with futures and the "wobble" is rare and usually "fixed" by an extra twist of the grub
It might be rare, but it was on my favorite board (Jobson) and drove me insane. It also doesn't help that the glass cracks in the corner of the boxes after the first surf. That has happened on every Futures board I ever owned.

Reactions: Havoc

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I use 1/4" G-10 for my FCS
It takes 3/8" for Futures to mill the base
That alone is 1/2 more for material cost and shipping of that material
You need a mill and bits to cut that base , epoxy loads up the grinding wheels used on fiberglass

Twice the work and cost using G-10

Reactions: sh3

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I use 1/4" G-10 for my FCS
It takes 3/8" for Futures to mill the base
That alone is 1/2 more for material cost and shipping of that material
You need a mill and bits to cut that base , epoxy loads up the grinding wheels used on fiberglass

Twice the work and cost using G-10
Gotcha. Thanks for the detail. :cheers:

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
It might be rare, but it was on my favorite board (Jobson) and drove me insane. It also doesn't help that the glass cracks in the corner of the boxes after the first surf. That has happened on every Futures board I ever owned.

I have these same Future box corner cracks in several boards, and one is a Jobson.

Reactions: ghostshaper

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Never had this glass cracking problem - owned tons of Futures boards.

Reactions: laidback

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
been on futures for 10 years. Never a wobble or cracked glass that you speak of. Never had a Jobson. I wonder if thats the reason.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I am a die hard futures guy due to a loose connection to the Aussie distributor...

i’ve had small cracks in the glass at the rear of some boxes after months or years of use. ive had way less boards with fcs2 and fusion boxes but experienced similar results.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
The cracks start at the rear corners, appearing over the flange. Looks like it stems from flexing of the box under lateral force from fins (probably exacerbated by twin sized mains).

Took a mentawais trip w a qs level pro who surfed like luke egan: he eventually ran out of boards bc his boxes on all his boards cracked to the point where they were taking in water.

been on futures for 10 years. Never a wobble or cracked glass that you speak of. Never had a Jobson. I wonder if thats the reason.
Maybe bc of bigger main fins relative to thrusters/quads.

But I've seen it in different boards, glass shops.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdsurfrat

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
What a nightmare for him to try and deal with all the cants, then complaints about fit especially the first time going in. Not to mention the dedicated tooling and space that it would take up.

Almost every new Future box/board, I’ve needed to spray down the box with water to get the grit out, then I add Dawn dish soap to get it slip in the first time. Works great.

I’ve never had wobble issues. I have a feeling that people that didn’t’/don‘t clean out that box when changing fins Is the prob. Just think of all the micro abrasives, sand etc, scoring the inside of the box when changing out fins.

I’m at the point where I kneeboard 95 percent of the time now, and that‘s because I choose to. I think kneeboarding puts more strain on the fins because of where their positioned and the lower center of gravity. Only one board has those cracks at the bottom of the box on one side, and that’s a Twin fin with a 5.75 tall fin. And I think the spider crack happened after hitting it with my leg while trying to launch and got mixed up on the way down. I did knock out a twinzer on the same side during the encounter.

So those spider cracks at the base I bet are from impacts. Easy fix. Now if the box is submerged, different story and major impact.

Still prefer FCS Fusions with Greg’s boards and fins. I’d never buy an off the rack or custom board with FCS 2’s, but I get it for the majority of surfers.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Dudes obsessing over these cracks... they don’t hurt chit.

some of my boards have them and others do not. none are getting foam cancer at that spot. those of you unhappy with it must freak out over every spider crack that pops up along the tail’s hard edge, too.