GREATEST SURF MOVIES OF ALL TIME

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I dunno about the 80s or 70s but for me, there was Kelly Slater in Black and White (90s), and First Chapter (00s), and everything else. I enjoyed a shitload of everything else, but don't see the point in listing the lost, poor specimen, and McCoy catalogs. I also like Stranger Than Fiction a shitload specifically for the all one stance feature.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
North Shore. So much classic dialogue. My friends and I still quote this regularly. We are idiots.

The searching for curren one was my bible. Wore that out.

I also liked the billabong Jack McCoy ones. Young occy and Egan and Margo are easy to enjoy.
Pump, Green Iguana, Bunyip Dreaming. There’s also one of the Desert Challenge in WA that had all the top guys at the time and pumping surf.

Last edited:

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
And two more older classics: Paul Witzig's Evolution and Sea of Joy.

Also second Green Iguana and Bunyip Dreaming - I wore those tapes out...

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
North Shore. So much classic dialogue. My friends and I still quite this regularly. We are idiots.

The searching for curren one was my bible. Wore that out.

I also liked the billabong Jack McCoy ones. Young occy and Egan and Margo are easy to enjoy.
Pump, Green Iguana, Bunyip Dreaming. There’s also one of the Desert Challenge in WA that had all the top guys at the time and pumping surf.
That reminds me, how have we gotten this far without mention of Point Break (OG) or Big Wednesday? Me and my buddies quote both regularly, we are also idiots.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
5'5 x 19 1/4 and Searching for Tom Curren were the ones where I wore out the tape (you kids wouldn't understand).

Litmus was another of that same era.

I had a Gotcha promotional video in the late 80s with Pottz and Matt Archibald that was pretty epic as well.

Reactions: Bman76

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer watching the more documentary style surf films if I'm going to just sit down and watch the whole thing. One California Day, One Track Mind, Singlefin Yellow, Riding Giants (although it does feature Laird which is a distinct negative). Otherwise I'll just watch short films online. Those films are also easier to watch with people who aren't surfers (ie my wife).

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer watching the more documentary style surf films if I'm going to just sit down and watch the whole thing. One California Day, One Track Mind, Singlefin Yellow, Riding Giants (although it does feature Laird which is a distinct negative). Otherwise I'll just watch short films online. Those films are also easier to watch with people who aren't surfers (ie my wife).
For surf docs wayne lynch in uncharted waters is awesome

Reactions: rowjimmytour