Golden Mean Machine 2

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Maybe like 5% trolling you 95% serious. :ROFLMAO:

I know you had FCS 2 and I'm more interested in one with the glass ons the board was designed with.

And I'd love to see some vid clips of the board.
:ROFLMAO:

Super fun board. Full on hp style mini sim though. No slippy slippy. No experience with the glass-on fins made for this board.

The only clip I know of is a guy riding one (not RK) that is a longer than I would typically ride it and in bigger waves than I would typically ride it in.

I'll see if I can find it, but it won't show the boards low end capabilities.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
This is the guy I was thinking of, but the clip is shorter than I remember. There might be a longer version out there somewhere. Also, it kind of looks like the board he's riding is either the GMM1 or the old GMM2 outline. The newer GMM2 has a little more outline curve.

Last edited:
Reactions: SharkBoy

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I have one in XTR as well. No glass ons. I think the only person I've seen any of the hydronamica boards with glass ons is RK. He's been pretty helpful when I talk to him, I'm sure he'd be happy to give a little direction on recommended fins.

Reactions: Aruka and jkb

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah, I've got 2. LOL. Can't bring myself to sell one cause I know I'll regret it. Both were 2nd hand and have FCS2. I've never seen another one out in the lineup. I think people are scared off by the outline, but it is such an efficient design. RK said he prefers the CyberSim- I think mainly for the rounded-nose aesthetic, but said GMM2 slightly more HP. He rides his CyberSim with old Tom Carroll redlines, and he also likes old purple reactors in his planing hulls. Most of the @Hydrodynamica boards I've seen as glass-on thruster have a smaller center fin.
I use it as a step-down version of Evo in knee to waist-high. Mush-buster. Great for slopey-ier South SD reefs, fun up to shoulder-high. Effortless speed, surprising versatility. I've played around with fins a lot: skatey as quad/twin; solid as thruster/twin+trailer/quad+nub. Can really fling it around if you keep it short. Almost always a good time. Highly recommend for SoCal waves. I think @jkb and I both feel as strongly about this underrated design as the vocal Fling supporters on here.
You're welcome to come try one if you're down in SD. Might help you nail down dims.
Stringered with full-length “Evo” channel. This was via @Havoc and notice the side fins are further fwd than the older one:
5’6 x 20 x 2.5, 33 CL
Stingerless with channel at tail. Definitely recommend SL construction for liveliness in small waves:
5'8 x 19 x 2.5, 32.9 CL
IMG_8222.jpeg

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Yeah, I've got 2. LOL. Can't bring myself to sell one cause I know I'll regret it. Both were 2nd hand and have FCS2. RK said he prefers the CyberSim- I think mainly for the rounded-nose aesthetic, but said GMM2 slightly more HP. He rides his CS with old Tom Carroll redlines, and he also likes old purple reactors in his planing hulls. Most of the @Hydrodynamica boards I've seen as glass-on thruster have a smaller center fin.
I use it as a step-down version of Evo in knee to waist-high. Mush-buster. Great for slopey-ier South SD reefs, fun up to shoulder-high. Effortless speed, surprising versatility. I've played around with fins a lot: skatey as quad/twin; solid as thruster/twin+trailer/quad+nub. Can really fling it around if you keep it short. Almost always a good time. Highly recommend for SoCal waves. I think JKB and I both feel as strongly about this underrated design as the vocal Fling supporters on here.
You're welcome to come try one if you're down in SD. Might help you nail down dims.
Stringered with full-length “Evo” channel. This was via @Havoc and notice the side fins are further fwd than the older one:
5’6 x 20 x 2.5, 33 CL
Stingerless with channel at tail. Definitely recommend SL construction for liveliness in small waves:
5'8 x 19 x 2.5, 32.9 CL
View attachment 91730
Interesting about the fin placement.

I'll have to compare my new one to my old one. Fins on the old one were placed at 10" and 3".

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Interesting about the fin placement.

I'll have to compare my new one to my old one. Fins on the old one were placed at 10" and 3".
yeah, I like the more forward placement better- just suits my stance/surfing. So I ride that one... but I prefer the stringerless feel.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
yeah, I like the more forward placement better- just suits my stance/surfing. So I ride that one... but I prefer the stringerless feel.
After checking, both of mine are at 10" and 3". They're both magic so no reason to mess with it.

But I am curious as to why one of yours ended up with different fin placement.

:unsure:

Reactions: SharkBoy

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
After checking, both of mine are at 10" and 3". They're both magic so no reason to mess with it.
But I am curious as to why one of yours ended up with different fin placement.
:unsure:
Yeah, dunno. Havoc said he didn't ask for any different placement, but maybe the Japanese guy who ordered the stringerless one did. I got it from Barsby, and I think it was an XTR stock board. It definitely likes being surfed from the tail more. I'll have to measure the fin boxes tomorrow

Reactions: jkb

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I tried to order a custom one from Daniel during that April promo, but I was told it's RK's baby so only through XTR.

Reactions: jkb