Going to Eleuthera

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I remember a photo trip feature in er or ing mag in the 90’s. Bright blue barrels and fun waves. Remember thinking it looked magical and doing some research on it when I was a grom. Would be curious to hear how it goes.

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Been a fairly consistent winter by EC standards, no big swells but a lot friendly little ones. Would kill for warm water right now but travel stresses me out. How many flights to get there?
For me it’s easy. JFK is 35 minutes away. It’s straight to MIA and a puddle jump to north Eleuthera. Expensive AF to go Saturday to Saturday. Very reasonable to fly wed to wed.

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
For me it’s easy. JFK is 35 minutes away. It’s straight to MIA and a puddle jump to north Eleuthera. Expensive AF to go Saturday to Saturday. Very reasonable to fly wed to wed.
My last trip the belt was closed at 2am with no detour signs, added 1.5 hrs driving aimlessly around Brooklyn to an already long day. Swore I would never travel again but starting to feel the need to escape again.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah no matter what, peak rush hour, road closures, we always have a way, however annoying, of getting to jfk in 39 minutes. Annoying drive but reliable for making flights

also, looks the there is very little continental shelf and extremely deep water directly off Eleuthera. I’m intrigued and this house I found is insane. I’m hovering over the “click to deposit” just waiting on a green light from my mother. She knows my philosophy. If you book it, you will go.

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Yeah no matter what, peak rush hour, road closures, we always have a way, however annoying, of getting to jfk in 39 minutes. Annoying drive but reliable for making flights

also, looks the there is very little continental shelf and extremely deep water directly off Eleuthera. I’m intrigued and this house I found is insane. I’m hovering over the “click to deposit” just waiting on a green light from my mother. She knows my philosophy. If you book it, you will go.
DO IT!!!!

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
I'd kill for 1 minute again with either parent - not to mention a full-on vacation with one of them.
You're odds of surfing in some form are pretty high, all things considered too.
Stoking.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
If I went back there again on a trip like Subway has planned I'd just take a soft-top like the Odysea 6'0 Skipper. By the way, Subway, if you're taking a small Bahamas Air puddle jumper plane make sure they will take your board ahead of time. Last time I looked it sounded like a hassle.
I just dealt with that with Air Caribe. The board bag had to be under 7" and it had to be my only check bag. That's probably a common policy with all the small planes. I put stuff in my GF's check suitcase and we were each allowed a small back pack.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’ll check It’s American eagle so I assume a short travel bag will be fine but always best to know that it in advance. Good call

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
What GromsDad said about flights/boardbag.
The Bahamas is a more overtly religious country than the US - I think you were just kind of joking but still, heads up.
It's not on the radar because it's pretty expensive, most spots are onshore the vast majority of the time, and the swell window and season closely resemble Florida. There's a couple cold-soft longboarders in St. Augustine and Jacksonville who would rather go to PR in Winter then Latin America in Summer. Most of us are happy enough in Florida this time of year, and saving up the vacation for June/July/August when it gets dog days depressing.

If you can get a decent bonefish in 1' of water on 10# test that thing will haul ass.

Maybe @paunch23 Can give us an Exumas report if he hasn't already?