Going to Eleuthera

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
My mom and her new husband randomly thought it would be fun for the four of us to rent a beach front house in Eleuthera- one with a beach from which my mother can snorkel on reef within easy distance to the beach. Not a surfy trip, but @LelandCuz mentioned just recently its good to take these trips when and if you can with aging parents. And since moms picked and pitched Eleuthera (and we found some SICK houses to rent on private beaches on the leeward side with snorkeling right out the back) that I am all in.

anyway, Eleuthera does in fact have a windward side, and unblocked exposure to the north and north east, and they claim surfing as a local water sport. Some google searches do in fact cough up some fun looking waves, but I have to imagine it’s few and far between, other wise Eleuthera would be like PR or Barbados. So I’m picturing just small sloppy barely ride able trade swell at best. I think im more excited about renting a pair of Mokes with which we can terrorize the entire island. But has anyone actually ever spent time there and scored? Some of the pics I saw were pretty epic, but, they have to be like, 10 days a year at best.

im not bringing boards unless I see some huge spring storm setting up off the east coast

any other input?

Reactions: LelandCuz

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Bring one board, something grovely, flatter rocker. Think Lost Puddle Jumper, JS Nitro, JS Flaming Pony.

I have seen a ton of footage of Surfer's Beach and known a ton of people that have surfed there extensively, it rarely gets good as the face pretty flat. Also bring a top or a shorty, if the temp drops and the wind blows it can be brisk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I think the house we are looking at is super close to surfers beach

also: MOKES!

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’ll bring my hypto. It can grovel and surf, and flying with a single board over my shoulder will be a nice break from the 4-board wheeled coffin. I mean, they are incredible but they are logistic in and of themselves that need to be dealt with

Reactions: mundus

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Bring one board, something grovely, flatter rocker. Think Lost Puddle Jumper, JS Nitro, JS Flaming Pony.

I have seen a ton of footage of Surfer's Beach and known a ton of people that have surfed there extensively, it rarely gets good as the face pretty flat. Also bring a top or a shorty, if the temp drops and the wind blows it can be brisk.
This. offshores there can be surprisingly chilly even tho waters nice and warm.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Always thought of the Bahamas it was just hard to take a chance consistency wise vs the more sure things in the Carib.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah this is a “have a nice vacation with aging parents trip” as those become more and more precious and important . Fun warm small and sloppy windswell after cold winter and surfers ear surgery, bonus points. I’ve hardly surfed at all this winter overall, even by Long Island standards. I missed some classic days recently. All good. Hypto is great for gutless short period

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I don't wanna sound gay or nothin, but this is why having a kitesurf setup is pretty sweet.
I just don’t have a “learn another expensive and time consuming surf adjacent hobby” in me. Looks rad and maybe I will change my mind one day. I want to learn the cello, and surf.

Reactions: oeste858

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Yeah this is a “have a nice vacation with aging parents trip” as those become more and more precious and important . Fun warm small and sloppy windswell after cold winter and surfers ear surgery, bonus points. I’ve hardly surfed at all this winter overall, even by Long Island standards. I missed some classic days recently. All good. Hypto is great for gutless short period
Been a fairly consistent winter by EC standards, no big swells but a lot friendly little ones. Would kill for warm water right now but travel stresses me out. How many flights to get there?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I spent the month of January on Eleuthera in 1992. It was barely developed back then compared to what I see on Google maps today. Even still there really isn't much on Eleuthera. Pretty much all of the waves are in a 10 mile stretch of beach from Gregorytown to James Cistern. Surfers is the most known break. Its a fat left with a steep right that gets shallow in the inside. Lover's Beach near Gregorytown has a good wave as does Hidden Beach and James Point to the South.

Lot of good cliff diving and snorkeling to be done around Gregorytown. Don't know how access is today but these spots are the best snorkeling I know of and I had plenty of time to explore while I was there. Anyplace you can access where a chunk of the cliff has broken off will be insane diving. The first one is unreal.....a long stretch of cliff broke off. There is a narrow cut between the cliff and the calved off rocks. The current will propel you along and there are loads of fish:

Food is expensive. Pack some snacks. Bring good shoes for hiking around the cliffs and exploring the caves because everything is sharp. If you're into fishing pack a travel rod as you can catch bonefish pretty much anywhere with lures or cut shrimp. Spanish Wells and Harbor Island are worth day trips if you have the time. Must sees are Sapphire Blue Hole, Preacher's Cave and Ben Bay Beach on the far north end of the island. Not much to do after dark on Eleuthera so make the best use of the daylight.

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Eleuthera means freedom. The first settlers were a group of Puritans that was fleeing religious persecution in 1648. They landed at what is called Preacher's Cave on the north end of the island. They named it Eleuthera.
Jesus I can’t even go to a small unique Bahamian paradise without religion coming into it :computer:

• Haha
Reactions: mundus