Go Massholes!!

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Five guys is straight garbage. Cheddar/swiss seem to be missing options from almost all fast food burgers. That nastass garbo American cheese sh!t. About half the time I think I want McDonald's I take one look at the drive thru line, and/or the staff, and/or the clientele and decide to go hungry or get packaged gas station junk food instead.

I also watched a youtube video that showed me the light on not pulling forward at fast food places. Basically, you will get your sh!t last, your coke will be watery as f--k, and your fries will be cold and soggy. Damned if the one or two times I pulled forward I didn't remember the food sucking extra sucktacular.

IMHO basically anything you didn't cook entirely yourself from complete produce section/raw meat ingredients already has more than enough salt. Restaurant food, every time I watch Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives I can't believe how much salt and sugar gets added at every step.
I grew up on American Cheese on burgers, grilled cheeses etc so it’s 2nd nature to me. I would probably think it’s foul if I had been raised otherwise, but IdGAf. Cheap fast food grade American cheese can be pretty gross though.

As for salt content, you could omit the vast majority of it IF it is used strategically, most importantly on raw meat before it gets thrown on the grill.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Whenever I see someone smothering their food with salt I’m always like “what did you not get enough of as a child”?
Salt is the most overly demonized element of the food/diet world. Unless you are predisposed to hypertension or a related condition, it’s really no concern for most.

Like anything, it can certainly be overused. That said, the role of salt in flavor chemistry and gastronomy is indisputable. Nothing replaces salt.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I was a big fan of Jack in the Box during my little stint in the golden west.

If your little stint started with an 8pm LAX arrival, went straight into serious drinking, you suddenly realized it was 1:55AM and Jack in the box was the only place you could crawl to before closing, then you flew out at 5am, ok, sure, that makes sense.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
If your little stint started with an 8pm LAX arrival, went straight into serious drinking, you suddenly realized it was 1:55AM and Jack in the box was the only place you could crawl to before closing, then you flew out at 5am, ok, sure, that makes sense.
I’d rather eat gas station sushi.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Salt is the most overly demonized element of the food/diet world. Unless you are predisposed to hypertension or a related condition, it’s really no concern for most.

Like anything, it can certainly be overused. That said, the role of salt in flavor chemistry and gastronomy is indisputable. Nothing replaces salt.
I started collecting salts after reading this book:

if you guys go anywhere and find cool local salt, from the sea, mines (or other!)
please grab it and I will pay you back bigly.

Autprax got me one from Vietnam. I use it a lot because it is very fine and mild.

I got from one of those coco frio roadside markets by Ogro's that is SUPER coarse
which I really like in guac because it has this nice little **crystally** crunch in the
soft meat of the avocado

Samin Nosrat's series on Netflix built off her book Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat is worth a watch

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

if you guys go anywhere and find cool local salt, from the sea, mines (or other!)

Autprax got me one from Vietnam. I use it a lot because it is very fine and mild.

I got from one of those coco frio roadside markets by Ogro's that is SUPER coarse
which I really like in guac because it has this nice little **crystally** crunch in the
soft meat of the avocado

Samin Nosrat's series on Netflix built off her book Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat is worth a watch
There's an awesome salt out of Peru near Cuzco from this place:

1588821593439.png

The security girl had a laugh when I ran my bag through the X-Ray. "It's salt, I swear!"

• Haha
Reactions: Kento

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
The only thing five guys has going for it are the fries. Far superior to in n outs garbage fries.

speaking of over-rated regional favorites Whataburger is trash. Not even bad good like white castle. Just lower rung mediocrity that’s loved by stupid Texans for god knows why?

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
The only thing five guys has going for it are the fries. Far superior to in n outs garbage fries.

speaking of over-rated regional favorites Whataburger is trash. Not even bad good like white castle. Just lower rung mediocrity that’s loved by stupid Texans for god knows why?
Whataburger >>> Carl’s Jr.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

Well, they do give you white gravy with your chicken strips so the fatness level is off the charts

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
There's an awesome salt out of Peru near Cuzco from this place:

View attachment 90605

The security girl had a laugh when I ran my bag through the X-Ray. "It's salt, I swear!"

since the matrix is somehow always listening on all channels, Amazon Prime recommended
a documentary for me last night called My Name is Salt. it follows a family in India that moves
out to the desert seasonally to produce salt after the monsoon season.

it was very similar to another one I had watched recently called Machines

if you like cinematography and documentary, I'd burn one down and park it on the couch for
these; they are magnificent.

Reactions: grapedrink

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom

soft meat of the avocado

I never finished Salt but you should read Cod from the same author.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I never finished Salt but you should read Cod from the same author.
I like all his books...Cod, Salt, Basque History of the World, Paper....all good.

he's been on quite a tear....there's one on Oysters, Salmon, and a few others.

his writing is really interesting because he incorporates information from so many
different disciplines in to the story. Cod and Basque books were really interesting
from the perspective of North American discovery/travel.

Reactions: manbearpig