Georgia passes law restricting voting rights.....

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Summary of Article:

OrangeManBad
Voter Suppression
Republicans
Racism
Rusha
Capitol Riots
TDS
QaNon
Moscow Mitch
Any Day Now
ProudBois
Kids in Cages
. . . . . Actual explanation of law
I miss the old LA Times way of reporting.

First 3-4 paragraphs with the requisite 5 Ws and occasional H as needed.
Further discussion of subject.
Mixed in to ALL articles no matter what subject: Subtle recommendations and rationale for CA seceding from the union.

Reactions: grapedrink

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Horribly written article. I had to scan through almost halfway through past a dozen+ paragraphs to get to the actual meat and potatoes that explains exactly how this law affects voting:

"The new law in Georgia requires more stringent voter verification requirements for absentee ballots, allows state officials to take over election boards and limits ballot drop boxes that make it easier for people to vote. The law allows any Georgian to make unlimited challenges to voter registrations, and, incredibly, makes it a misdemeanor crime for anyone to offer food and water to voters stuck in long lines to cast ballots."

For the record, I think the law is BS, but shouldn't that paragraph be maybe the first thru third instead of halfway through? This shows how crap journalism has become.

Could you provide us with a well written example of an article on the subject?

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Could you provide us with a well written example of an article on the subject?
Not my job. I'm not going to scroll the googles to find an example to appease your dumb request. I've clearly explained why the article sucks and how it could be made better. If you are writing an article about why a specific law is bad, then maybe you should start with detailing the actual law early in the article?

Kento also nailed it- first few paragraphs should cover the first 5 Ws and be relatively devoid of emotion.

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Not my job. I'm not going to scroll the googles to find an example to appease your dumb request. I've clearly explained why the article sucks and how it could be made better. If you are writing an article about why a specific law is bad, then maybe you should start with detailing the actual law early in the article?

Kento also nailed it- first few paragraphs should cover the first 5 Ws and be relatively devoid of emotion.
everyone is a media literacy expert

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
everyone is a media literacy expert
The 5 Ws is writing 101, i.e. a step above basic literacy. And if you are writing about why something is bad/important/damaging to society, then explaining what that thing early in the article should be a top priority because it strengthens and gives context for the rest of your piece.

The fact that you are a teacher who doesn't understand this is particularly worrying.

Until they're asked to provide a good example of where they get their news. I bet Breitbart has a "well written" article on the subject.:rolleyes:
LOL, binary thinking much? I wouldn't know because I don't read Breitbart or any other opinion and emotion driven garbage, like the article posted above, whether it's from the right or the left.

Again- why is it my job to find an example for you? I've told you why it's crap and how it could be better. Me refusing to waste my time looking for a better example, assuming it exists, does not change that this article is still opinion driven crap.

It's also probably not easy to even find a better example since most media seems to prioritize emotion, political ambitions, and doom mongering over facts. Sad!

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The 5 Ws is writing 101, i.e. a step above basic literacy. And if you are writing about why something is bad/important/damaging to society, then explaining what that thing early in the article should be a top priority because it strengthens and gives context for the rest of your piece.
What's really shameful about it is that CNN doesn't even have a "To the Comments!" excuse working for them.

I remember in elementary school, we had to summarize a current event from the newspaper and we were definitely graded on including those 5 Ws.

Made me think that kids these days have it tougher when it comes to reporting on current events. Sure there are more options for your news but the vast majority is sh!t, especially that which appears in online form.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
LOL the guy in charge of GOP redistricting wrote down that he was doing it to f--k over black voters and his daughter open-sourced his writings on the subject after he croaked.

The 5W aren't answered first, but there is zero emotion in that article - calling the GOP base racist is an objective statement of fact.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
And again!
“The Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people wrongly overestimate their knowledge or ability in a specific area. This tends to occur because a lack of self-awareness prevents them from accurately assessing their own skills.”

You’ve incorrectly called any perceived form of bias to be DK. Ironically, you’ve displayed DK in your accusation of DK. Because you’re dumb.

• Haha
Reactions: GromsDad

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

The fact that you are a teacher who doesn't understand this is particularly worrying.
if you took a second to read my follow-up, I said that you were correct and that I should stay away from CNN as a source.

its amazing how you constantly come at the people who are capable of metacognition but don’t even bother calling out the people who are not capable of it.

I’m also amazed at how many people are stuck in the BUH 5W’s mindset that they learned way back in high school. I’m not a journalist but I’m pretty sure there’s a lot more to it than that but people continually parrot a line from their 12th grade journalism teacher.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The 5W aren't answered first, but there is zero emotion in that article - calling the GOP base racist is an objective statement of fact.
It’s emotionally driven because it doesn’t even explain the actual law until halfway thru the article after 12 paragraphs of tirade. Even if the argument is factual it can still be emo driven, both can #coexist

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
“The Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people wrongly overestimate their knowledge or ability in a specific area. This tends to occur because a lack of self-awareness prevents them from accurately assessing their own skills.”

You’ve incorrectly called any perceived form of bias to be DK. Ironically, you’ve displayed DK in your accusation of DK. Because you’re dumb.
Wrong! Your pretense of being a journalism expert is an obvious symptom of Dunning-Kruger.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
It’s emotionally driven because it doesn’t even explain the actual law until halfway thru the article after 12 paragraphs of tirade. Even if the argument is factual it can still be emo driven, both can #coexist
LMAO you not liking the layout doesn't mean it's emotionally driven, and I don't see a tirade. I see objective facts.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
if you took a second to read my follow-up, I said that you were correct and that I should stay away from CNN as a source.
My bad for missing that and thank you for posting a better source that did exactly what I asked for.

There’s your example Skully :trout:

its amazing how you constantly come at the people who are capable of metacognition but don’t even bother calling out the people who are not capable of it.
Who exactly should I be calling out? If you mean people like GromsDad, I’ve tried. He simply doubles down on his positions, ignores counter arguments, and ghosts when proven wrong.

I’m also amazed at how many people are stuck in the BUH 5W’s mindset that they learned way back in high school. I’m not a journalist but I’m pretty sure there’s a lot more to it than that but people continually parrot a line from their 12th grade journalism teacher.
I don’t care so much about the 5 Ws and am willing to give that a pass, but if you are writing an article about a new law and why it’s bad, then start the article by explaining that law FFS :ROFLMAO: