Gas powered vehicles -DONE

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
It's uncanny how even this topic is divided erBB right down political lines.

Why don't righties beleive in American inginuity?
That's not very patriotic.

Did any of you read that he's referring to year 2035?

Electric cars are better in almost every way.

But no, status quo at all costs.

Lame.
I’m in favor of the technology. Build more nukes. Upgrade power transmission capability. 99% of the posters here will have at least one internal combustion vehicle. Some more.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I was in Germany last year, and couldnt help noticing the high number of wind farms and solar energy panels
it made me think we ar way behind in utilizing these resources

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
OR spend the next 15 years improving battery technology, installing quick charging stations and developing electric cars

Tesla can already do 500 miles on a single charge today and Tesla quick chargers are everywhere, even in Baja.

Is it really unfeasible that in 15 years the cost of electric cars and range will improve to the point where we can do the switch?

Guerrero Negro, Baja 2020
View attachment 98230
Everywhere? None within an eight hour drive from me.

• Dislike
Reactions: plasticbertrand

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I disagree with Fecal on this topic breaking on political lines. I'm all for a better mousetrap and electric cars may someday be the better mousetrap. They aren't yet. Perhaps someday. What I am against is government mandates and subsidies. Build me something I want and I will buy it.

Reactions: laidback

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I disagree with Fecal on this topic breaking on political lines. I'm all for a better mousetrap and electric cars may someday be the better mousetrap. They aren't yet. Perhaps someday. What I am against is government mandates and subsidies. Build me something I want and I will buy it.
Exactly.....free market

• Haha

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Fecal,

One of the places I go to surf a few times a year is 523 miles from my house. Do you suggest I walk the last 23 miles? That's where the interchangable batteries come in.
this might be one of the dumbest things posted on the forum...ever.

a new personal best for gromsdad

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
no. you have demonstrated an almost superhuman level of ignorance
on electric vehicles, their operation, and logistics.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
History proves you wrong.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The battery swap idea has some merit.

Any way you cut it, without the infrastructure to keep batteries charged it’s a wet dream on a large scale basis. How much for small nukes? Who pays? Gubmint? Utility bonds? Always the consumer in the end. How long? Where?

25 years ago I was familiar with the licensing, design, construction through operation of large plants. I don’t know what’s happening now but I can’t believe that the requirements for licensing through operation are any less stringent. Smaller cookie cutter plants with streamlined licensing?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I was in Germany last year, and couldnt help noticing the high number of wind farms and solar energy panels
it made me think we ar way behind in utilizing these resources
Agree. It was almost two years ago I was in Italy. Flying over Germany, Switzerland, Austria and to a slightly lesser degree Italy, it was very noticeable the amount of solar panels visible.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Any way you cut it, without the infrastructure to keep batteries charged it’s a wet dream on a large scale basis. How much for small nukes? Who pays? Gubmint? Utility bonds? Always the consumer in the end. How long? Where?
Except you're wrong and out of touch.

Infrastructure already exists. Even in Baja.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Can your car do 523 miles on a tank of gas?

What do you do, walk for the last 123 miles? :unsure:
I stop at a gas station on the Va/NC border and fill the tank and take a squirt. I'm back on the road in under 10 minutes. How long does it take to charge those batteries?

How about the 1,095 mile drive from my house to my parent's house in Florida? What would my charge time be to accomplish that drive? I've driven that non-stop other than gas & squirt more than once.

Reactions: PRCD