Gas powered vehicles -DONE

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I stop at a gas station on the Va/NC border and fill the tank and take a squirt. I'm back on the road in under 10 minutes. How long does it take to charge those batteries?
20 minutes.

So you would loose 10 minutes of sick barrels.

Devastating.

Again, why would you walk 23 miles if you drove a Tesla because it "only" has 500 mile range?

But happy to stop for gas and "squirt".

Last edited:
Reactions: afoaf

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Can’t wait for it! I’ll be happy to get rid of my 13mpg ice box. With an e car in the garage, if you’ve never driven one, don’t knock em till you try em!

.....electric boogaloo out!

Reactions: plasticbertrand

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
This was already done before under Obama. FYI, most of those "clunkers" ended up as Taxies in TJ.

*Car Allowance Rebate System aka Cash for clunkers

The Toyota Corolla was the program's top seller according to U.S. DoT [1]

The Ford Explorer 4WD was the program's top trade-in according to the U.S. DoT [1]
The Car Allowance Rebate System (CARS), colloquially known as "cash for clunkers", was a $3 billion U.S. federal scrappage program intended to provide economic incentives to U.S. residents to purchase a new, more fuel-efficient vehicle when trading in a less fuel-efficient vehicle. The program was promoted as a post-recession stimulus program to boost auto sales, while putting more fuel-efficient vehicles on the roadways.

The program officially started on July 1, 2009, processing of claims began July 24,[ and the program ended on August 24, 2009, as the appropriated funds were exhausted. The deadline for dealers to submit applications was August 25. According to estimates of the Department of Transportation, the initial $1 billion appropriated for the system was exhausted by July 30, 2009, well before the anticipated end date of November 1, 2009, due to very high demand. In response, Congress approved an additional $2 billion.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Except you're wrong and out of touch.

Infrastructure already exists. Even in Baja.
Infrastructure for small nukes exists in Baja? You shouldn’t have a problem backing that up.

If your battery is 100% charged can you make it Guerrero Negro on one charge or are there other charging stations along the way?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
electric car batters are not easily swapped out

there are many of them, they are buried, and they are all interconnected

the entire notion of battery swap to recharge (like a fkn propane tank?!),
aside from the obvious point of recharge cycles is that IT TAKES LESS
TIME TO CHARGE AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE THAN IT WOULD TO CHANGE
A BATTERY ON YOUR INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE vehicle.

charging stations are fast. charging stations are proliferating. battery tech
is constantly improving

you get the last 23 miles to your LOL second reef pipeline LOL surf spot in
LOL north LOLalina by going to a charging station for 15 minutes which is
probably about 5 minutes longer than you would have needed to stop to
fill up your tank but also about 80$ cheaper because GromsDad seems like
one of those darshnozzles that drives a dually for no reason other than
self-soothing his tiny dick energy

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
electric car batters are not easily swapped out

there are many of them, they are buried, and they are all interconnected

the entire notion of battery swap to recharge (like a fkn propane tank?!),
aside from the obvious point of recharge cycles is that IT TAKES LESS
TIME TO CHARGE AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE THAN IT WOULD TO CHANGE
A BATTERY ON YOUR INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE vehicle.

charging stations are fast. charging stations are proliferating. battery tech
is constantly improving

you get the last 23 miles to your LOL second reef pipeline LOL surf spot in
LOL north LOLalina by going to a charging station for 15 minutes which is
probably about 5 minutes longer than you would have needed to stop to
fill up your tank but also about 80$ cheaper because GromsDad seems like
one of those darshnozzles that drives a dually for no reason other than
self-soothing his tiny dick energy
Not yet. Outside of how they’re charged, battery evolution is the single most important technical advancement required for the whole program work for the masses.

When are you buying yours?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Infrastructure for small nukes exists in Baja? You shouldn’t have a problem backing that up.

If your battery is 100% charged can you make it Guerrero Negro on one charge or are there other charging stations along the way?
Hate to break it to you but there's electricity in every town in Baja.

There are more places to charge batteries than buy gas.
Including the stretch between ElRosario and Gro Negro.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
This thread rules. The righties are back to hating the f--k out of Tesla because it's not in the context of Elon trying to pwn the libs or Elon getting his soul vacuumed out so Amber Heard can extend her fecundity.

FecalFace is orally knobshining Elon's whips, spitting hot fire, with every last bit of it denominated in imperial wherever possible. Miles. Feet. Pounds.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Hate to break it to you but there's electricity in every town in Baja.

There are more places to charge batteries than buy gas.
Including the stretch between ElRosario and Gro Negro.
Well that covers the second part of my post.

Why do you hate to tell me that? I asked a question, you answered. I don’t see the need for hate.

That’s great. You’re gonna drive your electric car down there for a week long surf/camping work trip? Or for any reason other than to prove you can?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
This thread rules. The righties are back to hating the f--k out of Tesla because it's not in the context of Elon trying to pwn the libs or Elon getting his soul vacuumed out so Amber Heard can extend her fecundity.

FecalFace is orally knobshining Elon's whips, spitting hot fire, with every last bit of it denominated in imperial wherever possible. Miles. Feet. Pounds.
Sure, electricity in a town in Mexico means there are electric car charging stations. El fvckin Roble is a town in Mexico. I went there Tuesday. They have electricity there. No charging stations. Beer and ice. Sabritas.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I've got more than a few clients that are pure GOPer's that own Teslas. Model x, s, and 3's. They aren't the crazy ones either, smart as tacks, successful older professionals that know what's up. One even has a model s, a vintage model t? and a normal ice car. Loves the Tesla the most!
So, it's not a lefty vs righty kinda car, even though it may seem that way. It's more smarty vs dumby kinda car! ;)

get in or get out of the way, and stfu while you're at it!

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
That’s great. You’re gonna drive your electric car down there for a week long surf/camping work trip? Or for any reason other than to prove you can?
I would do it in a heartbeat but not to prove that I can. I would do it because it makes way more sense.

The unlimited torque of the electric motor is great for off roading and what car would self fill with gas for free while you're surfing?

Humble brag: The solar panel on my Tundra is so sick. Can stay off the grid for weeks and keep all the cameras and edit station running without burning a drop of gas. Or coal.

E4790382-FEA0-4590-A220-F95DDC66270B.jpeg

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I would do it in a heartbeat but not to prove that I can. I would do it because it makes way more sense.

The unlimited torque of the electric motor is great for off roading and what car would self fill with gas for free while you're surfing?

Humble brag: The solar panel on my Tundra is so sick. Can stay off the grid for weeks and keep all the cameras and edit station running without burning a drop of gas. Or coal.

View attachment 98243
How far south is that?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I've got more than a few clients that are pure GOPer's that own Teslas. Model x, s, and 3's. They aren't the crazy ones either, smart as tacks, successful older professionals that know what's up. One even has a model s, a vintage model t? and a normal ice car. Loves the Tesla the most!
So, it's not a lefty vs righty kinda car, even though it may seem that way. It's more smarty vs dumby kinda car! ;)

get in or get out of the way, and stfu while you're at it!
I personally think Musk is a mixed bag. I like some of his ideas. I think his rocket program is impressive. A lot of his other ideas are pure woo or SEC and NTSB fraud. The Tesla tends towards woo in many ways. There is no such thing as autonomous driving. The levels of autonomy in the marketing literature are just marketing. It's not going to go past level 2 and I work in this industry. The battery technology is the biggest limiter keeping EVs from replacing ICEs. Fossil fuels are at least 12x more energy dense.

The people who like Teslas tend to be petit bourgeoisie. Usually, they're lawyers or software engineers or mgmt types and they're trying to announce their status with the car. The other 7.79 billion people on this planet are not going to drive Teslas. They're going to drive something powered by an ICE. Honda engines, for exmample, are the most common in the world. Most places in the world do not have the infrastructure for charging stations. Grid power is sporadic. If they get it, they're not going to use it to charge an expensive yuppie car when their Honda-powered car/bike works fine and is easy to repair with plentiful parts. Are these people dumb? I think they're just trying to get through life. They may look pretty smart in the near feature if CA's electrical woes continue and our roads continue to crumble.

Reactions: Billy Ocean

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Tell me, for 800 miles, that waves delivered better than what's in background.
What you see is in the photo is a blown mid-day beachbreak, which can work on North swells. The top of the point is in the right corner of the photo (it's a left).

I've been waiting to score this point for 15 years. Last time I got it really good was in the late south swell season of 2004. Got skunked every time since, untill this year.

Clean hurricane Elida swell, 6-8'
It was a little sectiony but connectable on the right board. :waving:

Surfed something every day for 2.5 weeks. Can't say I had a better Baja trip.

2020 wasn't all bad. :poop:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
What you see is in the photo is a blown mid-day beachbreak, which can work on North swells. The top of the point is in the right corner of the photo (it's a left).

I've been waiting to score this point for 15 years. Last time I got it really good was in the late south swell season of 2004. Got skunked every time since, untill this year.

Clean hurricane Elida swell, 6-8'
It was a little sectiony but connectable on the right board. :waving:

Surfed something every day for 2.5 weeks. Can't say I had a better Baja trip.

2020 wasn't all bad. :poop:
Nice. Sounds like some commitment to score it good.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
@PRCD
Totally agree w your first para.
eh on your 2nd. Of course 92% of the people will use an ice car!They’ve been around for what 60,80,100 yrs?

However when you compare the time that Evs have been around, specifically Tesla, (10+yrs)and see what he’s PROVEN to work in an ev,
My guess is in another 15, it will be a bunch of finely tuned small improvements including cost, efficiency, availability, and adaptability as well as plenty of aftermarket parts, repair shops and journeyman techs that will help people see the benefits over ice.
It’s just a matter of time, say 15 yrs?
And I’m just a dumb painter and my wife is in finance, nothing too hoidy toidy in those jobs. So much nicer not going to the big ole corporate gas stations every 3-5 days. Time our charge at home overnight when needed, enough to last plenty miles!

@plasticbertrand that spot is fickle but can get good as you say! I need some info on that solar panel for your tundra. What’s the dealio?